Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

$1B in Tourist Revenue

An article about tourism in Cuba:

Somehow, they seem to have mis-typed some of the numbers. Canada is said to send the largest number of tourists, and yet the number mentioned (77,678) is less than the second category (187,073).
I think they must have left out a digit. Based on the numbers I have seen in previous years, there must be a missing digit in the number of Canadian tourists. I suspect it is likely closer to 770,678 (?).

In 2010 it was 945,000 , so take it from there
Lenny

And then in 2015, there were 1.3 million. So for the first half of this year, something over 700,000 seems reasonable. As I say, I’m quite sure they have left out a digit.

Jack
Here’s latest data in respect of US passport holders, if you are interested: http://www.cubatrade.org/blog/2017/6/21/cuba-reports-145-increase-in-visitors-from-us-during-first-six-months-of-2017
This site also has really good articles on a range of Cuban issues.
The biggest tourism item will be cruises into the country, and this might be curtailed if Trumps proposed regulations prove to be punitive.

Copypasted info:
The three (3) largest United States-based cruise lines have announced more than 272 itineraries amongst their brands for the 2017, 2018 and 2019 sailing seasons which include the Republic of Cuba. Additional itineraries are expected to be announced. And, smaller cruise lines are also operating in the Republic of Cuba marketplace.

Miami, Florida-based Norwegian Cruise Lines Holdings Ltd

Miami, Florida-based Carnival Corporation & plc

Miami, Florida-based Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd

In 2016, the three cruise lines combined operated a fleet of approximately 144 vessels, managed approximately 14 brands, earned approximately US$28.8 billion in gross revenues, and employed approximately 218,000 men and women.

If each vessel sails at capacity, a total of more than 434,000 passengers will visit the Republic of Cuba from 2017 through 2019.

The gross revenues to the cruise lines from the 272 Republic of Cuba sailings would be projected to exceed US$585 million from 2017 through 2019.

The 434,000 passengers would be projected to spend approximately US$60 million while in the Republic of Cuba [approximately US$140.00 per person in expenditures and organized/non-organized excursions including cost(s) for tour(s), meals (government-operated and privately-operated), ground transportation (privately-operated classic car tours), sundries and souvenirs (including spirits, coffee, tobacco, artwork and crafts)]. Some passengers could spend considerably more (cigars for example) given the United States duty-free personal exemption of US$800 per person.

From World Travel and Tourism, thanks to JustRobMe, 2017 tourism figures improved despite politics and storms:

One must always consider that a major element is excluded from all Cuban tourist statistics. Cuban Americans are never counted even if they are US citizens. Anyone born in Cuba who has left in the last 50 years or so must have a Cuban passport to enter Cuba even if they already have a US passport and are considered by the Cuban government as simply Cuban even if they are US citizens. This seems to me to be over half those traveling from the US. I look at the passports of other passengers when boarding in the US and see more Cuban passportes than US passports. I would speculate that about half of the arriving foreigners are coming from the US. This equates to about 1/4 of the arriving foreigners being classified as Cuban, thus not in the official Cuban government statistics.

And, these are the arriving passengers with the real economic clout. Market research indicates each of these passengers carry an average of $3,400 in cash. These US dollars are always converted into CUC and CUP in the unofficial “street” market, not cadecas so are never seen by the government. These funds are unofficially spent, invested, or distributed to family. The total value of these remittances are 3 times the total revenues from tourism.

So as too often, the Cuban government publishes statistics delineated down to a single CUC level but unable or unwilling to acknowledge major economic factors in the unofficial or street economy that makes the official data meaningless.