Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

$25.00 fee for each bag of luggage tax?

Just heard that the DR is now charging $25.00 per suitcase upon entry into the DR and another $25.00 per suitcase when leaving the airport in the Dominican Republic. Anyone heard of this? This is not the charter companies nor the airlines but the government imposing this fee from what I have been told. Any info would be appreciated.

YOu are wrong wrong wrong. All arilines are not basically charging for the first bag checked. The DR is NOT charging for bags entering or leaving the country

bobk

Your sources are incorrect, as bobK sayso

what IS your source? I highly doubt this IS the case or that it ever will be

Boy needed more cofffee yesterday.
Should have said now all the AIRLINES are NOW basically charging…
We had a friend fly into PP 4 days ago and no charge by the airport for bags.

bobk

As far as I can tell, the major Canadian airlines (Air Canada, Air Transat, Can Jet, Sunwing) are not charging for the first checked bag. As a minimum, they allow one checked bag, 20 kgs (44 lbs). I also checked American Airlines website and it appears that one checked bag is also allowed from Canadian and US departure points. There’s no DR luggage tax that I’m aware of.

edit: It appears that the US airlines charge for the first checked bag for flights within the US, but not to the Caribbean. See http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp?anchorEvent=false&from=Nav

[quote=@bobfromcanada]As far as I can tell, the major Canadian airlines (Air Canada, Air Transat, Can Jet, Sunwing) are not charging for the first checked bag. As a minimum, they allow one checked bag, 20 kgs (44 lbs). I also checked American Airlines website and it appears that one checked bag is also allowed from Canadian and US departure points. There’s no DR luggage tax that I’m aware of.

edit: It appears that the US airlines charge for the first checked bag for flights within the US, but not to the Caribbean. See http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp?anchorEvent=false&from=Nav[/quote]

Wesjet allows 1 checked bag 22.67 kg or 50 lbs. and 2 carry ons not more than 9.7 kg or 20 lbs each.

Thanks to all of you for info. Thought this was a bit wild. A friend of mine from England who stays in Dominican up to 9 months of year e-mailed this to hubby. Perhaps a British thing? Hubby was starting to say that Mexico was looking good! Of course she probably had more than the allotted luggage. We have gotten our luggage down to the minimum, do not take much except for gifts and necessities-Clamato of prime importance! Again, thanks to all!

Also if she has been here for 9 months and does not have her residency card then she paid a fine to leave and maybe this is what she is talking about.

bobk

Not sure Bob. She left DR in May and returned to England. Then visited us for 3 weeks here in Canada-then back to England. Returned to DR beginning of November. Do not know if she has residency card. Just glad there is no charge for bringing luggage-it just did not make sense to me but, one never knows. Thanks again.

For what it’s worth, I was looking today at the Westjet Black Friday sale. I was thinking of visiting friends in Florida mid February. Westjet offered me several options for my ‘dates’. One was straight through, and the others connected through NY (Delta). On the surface, the connecting flights seemed cheaper. Digging deeper, Delta would assess an additional $25 for the first checked bag (each way). Doing the math, that was more $$$. That kind of made it a no-brainer …

It was still more than I want to pay. Think I’ll drive. Not an option for the DR, but it sure is for Florida …

I can never understand what people need so badly with them on vacation that they can’t fit everything into 1 carry on and 1 checked bag! After all isn’t this suppose to be a vacation - a get away from every day life?
We go for 2 weeks and I usually come home with some clothes I never wore!

I agree most take too many clothes-learned that the very first trip. We usually have 1 large suitcase just filled with gifts and school supplies etc. Last trip we had about a dozen baseball bats and tools. Hubby helping with house plans etc. for friends who just bought a small lot. Coming home it is just coffee and rum.