Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

3 hours prior...really?

I hate arriving at the airport 3 hours before a 6:00 a.m. flight to find that the counter is not even open. How early do we really have to be for these charters? When do you get there?

we usually get there about 1 hour 45 mins before…there will be a long line up by then but it moves right along.

I usually arrive 3 hours ahead…unless I am going Club Class. I never pay to reserve my seat, so being there early usually gets me a good one. Also, you never know about that early morning trip to the airport (I live an hour from Pearson). Going early means that if s*** happens I have a bit of a time buffer. But you’re right…it is a bummer when they don’t even have the counters open! ::slight_smile:

I agree 3 hours for a 6am flight is tough but sometimes when using park n fly you need that extra time. Not sure where you flying out of but the line ups can be rugged. I’m flying with Transat to Dominican and using club class for the first time and I have no intension of being there 3 hours before, maybe 2. I live only 20 minutes from the airport which is another plus. I have been there for the usual 3 hours and have been surprised just how busy it is. Last year it took 1 hour from the counter until it was my turn and behind me was a longer line up. To each his own.

I’ve never done it, and likely never will. Always seem to get there.

i fly club class but am always there 3 to 4 hours Early but i live 3.5 hour away so things can happen

I aim to leave the house 3 hours prior. But then my trip to the airport is 15 minutes tops (especially for early morning with no traffic). After grabbing breakfast on the go and doing car park I am at the line up with just over 2 hours to go.

first time star service …shouldn t need to be there to be there to early ??

A couple reasons I do get there @ the 3 hour mark even with reserve seats, one is I’m excited to get my vacation started and two is just in case there is road/car problems, better safe then sorry.

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I guess it depends on the your proximity to the airport and the flight time. When we have an early flight, we stay the night at the Halifax Airport Hotel (with the free parking and shuttle it is not that expensive). By doing this, we can get to the airport ~ 90 minutes early. There is usually a line up by then but sometimes we have been able to pre-book our seats 24 hours in advance. Besides, I figure that the plane isn’t going to leave without us and if worst comes to pass, my wife and I can stand to be apart for 4 hours. That extra hours sleep seems some much more important. On the other hand, if it is a later flight, I insist on leaving early to avoid any travel delays, as we have an 1 1/2 hour drive to the airport. My wife hates me getting her there so early, but then we have never had a problem and never missed a flight! And we can always start our reading early.

Yes it will, not sure about Halifax but in Toronto they close the check-in 30 minutes prior to departure. After that your screwed and it’s your own fault !

I like to get there about 3 hrs early. Once I get checked in, that’s when I can relax and start to feel like I’m on holiday. I’d sooner be killing time in the airport bar than stuck on the road because of traffic, car problems or bad weather.

Feel the same as cubavisitor. Get there, get rid of the luggage and grab a boarding pass and then the holiday really begins. We have done the 3:30am arrival for a 6:30am flight several times. Never gets old when I am heading to Cuba. ;D

For the 6 am departure, we get there 3 hrs early.
There is no way I am going to sleep that night anyway.
I guess I am just like a kid at Christmas, way too excited!!

Im with you Verycoldcanadian!We always go 3hrs early....Im usually way to excited to sleep before so I just grab a cat nap on the plane and I`m good to go…We live about an hour and a half away from the Halifax airport so I like to give myself lots of time:)

I’m in the group that is 4 hours early, if traffic and car and the planets line up. If anything goes worng I have enough time to either fix it or kill the person responsible.
I live 2 hours’ drive from YYZ and I leave home at 1AM for a 6 AM flight. I will sleep sitting in a chair after my bags are checked through and I’m in the gate area. If I am first in line I can usually get a seat in the exit row for the extra leg room before the munchkin sized people do. (that is another topic).
Bigjohn.

I am there 3 hours prior to departure. It sucks to have to wait around, but last year it paid off for me - everyone on the flight checked in and we were able to leave an hour ahead of schedule!

We generally shoot for two hours ahead. Kind of the best of both worlds.
This year our seats are pre-booked, but I’ll still get there two hours early, only because I don’t like taking chances (even at 4 a.m., the 401 can cause issues!).

[quote=@bigjohn]I’m in the group that is 4 hours early, if traffic and car and the planets line up. If anything goes worng I have enough time to either fix it or kill the person responsible.
I live 2 hours’ drive from YYZ and I leave home at 1AM for a 6 AM flight. I will sleep sitting in a chair after my bags are checked through and I’m in the gate area. If I am first in line I can usually get a seat in the exit row for the extra leg room before the munchkin sized people do. (that is another topic).
Bigjohn.[/quote]

“Kill the person responsible”! LOL!! I love that one.

Tom

Oh, now that would be nice and a great reason to check in early as possible.