Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

3rd time to Cuba, 1st to Holguin - Sol Luna y Mare

We have just booked our 3rd visit to Cuba and our first to Holguin. I’m looking for suggestions for visiting over Easter regarding things to bring as gifts. Also, should we look at buying our own mask & snorkel our just use the things at the hotel? We are so excited to visit Cuba again after a couple of visits to Mexico! Any other tips on the area and the resort are welcome!

[quote=@catty07] should we look at buying our own mask & snorkel our just use the things at the hotel? [/quote] I’ve had my own gear for a few years now, and it is definitely worthwhile. You have equipment that fits you and is available when you want it. Playa Esmeralda has pretty decent off the beach snorkelling, and it would be a shame to miss opportunities because you can’t access their equipment. Sol Luna/Mares is a nice resort. You should have a good time there.

we were at this resort last year… awesome resort… amazing beach and snorkeling just off the beach… the catamaran stops there for their snorkeling!!

i am bringing my sons this year… to another part of holguin OGPT april 10th and bought them their own snorkeling sets at costco…

didnt want them to miss out if the equipment wasnt available or if it was worn out…

enjoy!!!

We stayed at the SLyM last February and mostly enjoyed it. I take my own snorkel, as in the past I have found that the loaner snorkels have no “clamp teats” (seems the best description!). There was some decent snorkeling in the rocks at the end of the beach at the D’Oro resort and is only knee/thigh deep.

[quote=@valleyguy] There was some decent snorkeling in the rocks at the end of the beach at the D’Oro resort and is only knee/thigh deep. [/quote]If the weather is calm, venture a little further out and you will find the reef. Lots to see…this picture was taken there… (before I had my digital underwater camera, I hasten to add! :wink: )

When I travel at Easter I bring a stuffed Easter Bunny for the maid, she will love it. (Dollarama has some). Also, Bunny ears are also a big hit to wear on Easter Sunday.