Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

48th Serie Nacional de Beisbol (Baseball)

The Baseball season has started.

The opening game was played Friday night in Santiago de Cuba.
Pinar del Rio won 12 -3. The Tobacco Growers dominated throughout the game, giving the Wasps their first opening loss in 4 years.

The schedule is now up and can be downloaded.

www.baseballdecuba.com
If anyone needs stadium information or has questions, fire away.

Cool thanks for the schedule link. I was lucky enough to attend a Santiago/Camaguey playoffs game in March 2006, and this time, might see a game in Matanzas during the XMAS holidays!! 10am game, that would be perfect. Catch the game then drive to Havana.

More info here: http://www.granma.cubaweb.cu/eventos/48serie/index.html

What is the nearest baseball field that one of these teams would play near Varadero? I wouldn’t mind catching a game between January 10/09 - January 17/09.

That would be Matanzas. But Havana is about 1h45 away in taxi.

What is the approximate cost of a ticket? Are there any shuttles that go to any baseball games from the resort hotels?

From my experience in Camaguey, it was 1 CUP (A cuban bought tickets for us). So it is very cheap. Dont even know if you can buy tickets in CUC.

As for a taxi, I dont know how much from Varadero. But I’m pretty sure you could get a taxi drive to drive you back and forth and stay with you at the game for 40-50CUC. Thats what we did in Santa Lucia (to Camaguey), althought it cost us 120 (as a bonus, the driver brought us to this nice little private hotel where we had the best shrimps/langostas I’ve ever had in my life)

At that price, I’d say it would be worth it. Share with 3 other people and you get a cheap game.

If the resort you are staying at posts sign-ups sheets for outings, ask them to post one for a baseball game if they haven’t already. I did this at Breezes Jibacoa several years ago and there ended up being 8 or so and we went in a mini-van to Matanzas. I think we paid 8 cuc total - 5 for the van, 3 for the game.

In Havana, if you buy foreigners tickets and sit in the seats right behind home plate which is “reserved” for foreigners, but is the better seats, that is, a seat as opposed to sitting on the concrete, we paid 3 cuc a few years ago, so it shouldn’t have gone up too much.

In Bayamo, like Fred, we paid 1 cup.

Answers to some questions. No games in Cuba from Feb 13 - March 23rd except for Allstar game on Feb 17th @ a location not determined yet.
National team will be preparing Feb 13 - March 7th & there could be a few exhibition games against a practice team. One might be able to view a practice/workout, but probably not.

World Baseball Classic March 8 - 23rd

I would reccomend that you ask around at your resort. Conceirge or entertainment crew can usually hook you up with a driver. Taxis will not drive you to Matanzas from Varadero & stay with you for the game.
I paid 40CUC for a driver/car & have the driver pay for your ticket (1CUP) vs 2 CUC.
Always have transportation both ways arranged beforehand.

Tip: Sit with the locals not in a designated tourist area. Interact with the locals, watching the crowds & their passion is quite something as well as the play on the field

Great thread, Slew.

[quote=@slew]Answers to some questions. No games in Cuba from Feb 13 - March 23rd except for Allstar game on Feb 17th @ a location not determined yet.
National team will be preparing Feb 13 - March 7th & there could be a few exhibition games against a practice team. One might be able to view a practice/workout, but probably not.

World Baseball Classic March 8 - 23rd[/quote]

Thanks Slew for your great information. It’s obvious this is a great interest of yours, if you hear where the Allstar game on Feb 17th will be held would you mind posting it here?

Slew, this is going to be a pretty popular and interesting posting. Keep us posted with any new information that you get. I am really interested in attending a game in January/09.

[quote=@slew]www.baseballdecuba.com
If anyone needs stadium information or has questions, fire away.[/quote]

Cool. But I can’t say that I understand the website (the English version). The schedule/calendar makes zero sense to me.

I have friends headed to Cuba this Friday. They’re staying in the resort area near Santa Clara, and they’re looking for some things to do off the resort. I’m thinking they could incorporate a baseball game into a tour of the city, if there’s a game happening next week. Do you have any ideas?

Hi All

I have looked at the website and it appears that this is the best way to see the schedule.

http://www.baseballdecuba.com/DESCARGAS/48NS-SCHEDULEOFGAMES.PDF

Villa Clara plays at home until the 14th. remember that there are usually no games on Monday’s

My husband and I are staying at oasis brisas del caribe from Feb 5th - 12th and was wondering if someone could help with finding a game close by preferrably an afternoon game thanks in advance

A couple of things. Actually there will not be any games after Feb 8th. National team invitees are to meet in Havana for workouts Feb 13th. The all-star game is Feb 17, and right after the team will leave for Mexico City where it will play their 1st round games.
2nd Round games are in San Diego if Cuba advances, & the Semis/Finals in LA.
Calntina: Matanzas is playing in Havana city vs the Metros until the Feb 8th.

I would like to point out that there is always a game going on in the Havana - Varadero area.
With 2 teams (Metros, Industrilies)in Habana City, one is always away & the other team home

Just a short drive south of the city, Habana (province) Cowboys play. They are very good and have 3 pitchers on the National team last summer.
Matanzas Reds play 45 mins away from Varadero & Habana city