Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

A good year for Cuban tourism projected

http://granma.cu/ingles/cuba-i/3febre-A%20good.html

An article in Granma.

Um, not so sure about that. It certainly has been a banner year to date but the high prices have driven a lot of people away. The reviews from newbies on TA shows that not everyone loves Cuba. I think the super cold winter after Christmas has accounted for the change. But, I’m a pessimist so we’ll have to wait and see. I think they were looking for more partners to develop more resorts IMHO.

The prices have kept us away this year, at least so far. I have almost given up checking for good last-minute deals.
And yet, with the unusually cold weather we have had here, I’m wishing even more for some sand, blue sea and warm sun. It may not come to pass this winter, though.
No doubt that Cuba is trying to grow their tourist industry, though. If they build more facilities, I wonder, will it help bring the prices down, or will it just give them an excuse to keep the prices high? (That is, newer, better, prettier facilities to increase the demand, even faster than the supply increases.)

As Thomson are pulling out of Cuba completely from April this year, and Thomas Cook have stopped flying into Santa Clara, that will mean a drop in numbers visiting Cuba from the UK.

[quote=@bellagio]As Thomson are pulling out of Cuba completely from April this year, and Thomas Cook have stopped flying into Santa Clara, that will mean a drop in numbers visiting Cuba from the UK.

[/quote]

Wow, that’s bad news for our British friends.

Believe Thomson & Thomas Cook are charters, so do any of the regular airlines offer flights to Cuba? Probably a lot more expensive?

Virgin Atlantic fly from Gatwick into Havana twice a week, but they are more expensive and of little use to me as I want to fly into Holguin.

Last year I flew Air Canada Heathrow-Toronto-Holguin and it was cheaper than Virgin, that was without adding on the flight from Havana to Holguin.

I’d really like to know why they are cutting back. If I were living in the UK, there are so many sun destinations that are much closer. The flight time, then the 90 min drive to CSM has got to be a long trip for those from the UK.

The last several trips to Cuba, I have encountered a few from Argentina but everyone else in either English or French Cdn.

We are told it was a business decision. They obviously feel that they have more profitable destinations,