Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

About the Real DR

Hello everyone.

While ‘browsing’ around the internet I came across this useful board and I’m glad that I did, thanks. I’d like to share with you a bit of what I would say is also a part of the REAL DR: A girl with a dream. Here is Katherine, everybody:

If you look closely at this short clip, you may get ‘a sense’ of what everyday life is like for some of the inhabitants of the island. This clip is not ‘sugar coated’, so to speak, so things are shown just as they are at least around the environment where the girl lives in. Therefore, the clip may help a careful observer to establish important differences between diverse standards of living (maybe by comparing it to their own or to others) and to understand at least a little better a part of the REAL DR, in my opinion of course.

I hope you enjoy it and also learn from it.
Cheers.

Actually she comes from a what appears to be a pretty well off(not poverty level like many here) family not rich like many for sure.
However it is here infectious smile that is what the kids here are all about.
The kids here make me smile all the time. It is funny no matter how poor the family is the kids are always clean and well cared for. And always smiling.

bobk

She appears to be lower middle class, obviously not from a poor barrio.She is well cared for and seems to be happy.

I love the kids here, they are much less materialistic and happy, at least early on.

Here is a clip of what is more common in the D.R.

Thanks everyone for your kind and prompt replies. I feel very welcome already. Jahaira, I like your clip thank you. I think it’s very natural. One thing about the DR is the diverse aspects to life and living standards in such a small island, wouldn’t you agree? And YES, children’s smiles and laughter do seem to make all the difference, don’t they? Once again, many thanks!

We had an eye opening experience when we visited an actual Dominican village in Higuey. Our tour guide and taxi driver during our entire 5 wks in the DR brought us to places where a regular tourist will never go. We went to homes from the poorest of the poorest to poor to middle class and the wealthier Dominican people. These were his friends. When one takes tours and goes through towns you will see poverty but never to the extent of when you visit an actual village. We brought clothes and medicine that were distributed among the village people. It was lunch time and some of the people were preparing their lunch meal but there were a few houses that nothing was cooking because they had nothing to prepare. The children ranged from 6 months to 5 years barefoot and half naked and they asked us if we had any food because they were hungry. Unfortunatley all we had was gum. I gave the grandmother 300 pesos, that was all I had with me, so she could go buy some food. She could not thank me enough and we both hugged and cried. It will be an experience that I will never forget. When I think of all the food and money we waste it makes me gringe. Going to La Romana we passed by an Haitian village but did not stop. This is even worst than the village we had visited . We saw the haitian work at the sugarcane fields for $20.00 for every 1000 lbs of sugar cane they cut-slave labour.
When we go on vacation we see the luxury of the resorts and abundance of food and the houses along the way but this is not the real DR. At the resorts most of the workers all have a big smile. We assume that they are happy and must make a good living as they have jobs. Well some of the inhabitants of this DR village work at the resorts and they still live in poverty because their pay is minimal and they still have to pay rent on their shacks with skylights, electricity, gas, drinking water and food on the small pay they bring home.
On your next vacation get to know these workers, especially the gardeners and the people that cut the coconuts for us to enjoy on the beach. See their hands and feet full of blisters and if you have give them bandaids and polysporin so that these blisters do not get infected.
Unfortunatley one can not help everyone but a word of kindness towards them makes a big difference.

Travel chick… it does sound like you got a full dose of the real Dominican Republic. But, it seems, to me, you missed something. In my experience, these folks that we feel so badly for are generally happier than most of us. Trust me when I say I have been where you were. Did you see that little video I posted? I believe it will be similar.

Jahaira, yes I saw the video and it is very familiar and I agree that they are in most part happier than most of us. I also got a history lesson of their way of life - live for today tomorrow will take care of itself. Unless someone shows them another way of doing things as my now friend did and has changed the lives of some of these people showing them that you also have think of tomorrow because you don’t know what tomorrow will bring.
It is totally a different culture and we always compare to our North American way of life.

So true! Live for today! My Dominican wife has been here now for 2 1/2 years and stil has trouble with the concept! In a way it is a beautiful thing “live for today” but it just does not work here in the US.

For Christmas we sent $100.0 to my wife’s parants in the D.R. We suggested they use it in an emergency and to pay for needed prescriptions etc. They bought a pig and had a pig roast for the entire area in their campo!

lol Now that’s the spirit ;D!!!

Who knows what tomorrow will bring really??