Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Adults Only

I did the whole search thing and the only property that I found on the North Coast that was termed “Adults Only” was the Jack Tar, and then I found that they had changed their policy.
We were at the Iberostar last month and each evening the Kids Club marched thru the dining room (and also thru the other restaurants) promoting what they were doing for “tonight’s show” On the evening that was the Lion King, the animation team, dressed as lions, came thru and scared the s+++ out of my wife by crawling on the floor, in the restaurant and grabbed her leg underneath the tablecloth. Do I need this at dinner ???
We have had kids, been there, done that, gone thru all the problems and embarrassing moments in restaurants etc. but now we are past that, but we love Puerto Plata and would like to go to an AI that is adult oriented.
Any suggestions ???
Mac

Dang Mac…I grieve with you! We used to go to Jack tar almost exclusively…then came the plague of children. Mind you, I don’t hate children but I do hate children on vacation. (Hate might be a little too strong of a word) The entire resort has lost it’s serenity. One good point about the Jack Tar though is that you can get away from the children. They (the children) have their own pool and also there is an adults only pool.

perhaps detest,disapprove or dislike might be a better words

I’m with you guys, I’ve chosen not to have any ankle biters and prefer not to share anyone else’s! My favorite resort The Victoria in Playa Dorada is not child free but they are not aimed at kids, no kids club or kids pool! The animation do include the kids in the games and have a kids disco at the start of the evenings entertainment but thats about it. There is also an adults only quiet pool if you want to be sure of a child free atmosphere.

Just my two peso’s.

Phil, is your place going to be child free???

Cheers Amandalou :-*

Amandalou…after some research we have decided not to buy that hotel. we are now looking into Condos/apatments. I may make them adults only…need to contemplate that!

Here we go again with the NO children on vacation thing!!!

Phil&Jill, Hate is a very strong word!!!especially when used in the same sentence with children…

Hula, I agree hate may be a strong word. However, I have had too many bad experiences with families while on vacation. It’s why we won’t stay in AI’s anymore. I understand that kids will be kids, but most of the disruptive behaviour should be dealt with by the parents. Unfortunately, I have see far too many parents ignore their kids while on vacation, while little Johnny spends the day screaming “Mummy, Mummy, watch me, watch me, waaaaaaaaatch me” while in the pool. I blame some of the parents for this type of behaviour. If people want to take their kids to a resort, fine, but spend time with them & don’t let them disrupt the entire resort for the entire week. Some people just can’t relax while listening to screaming, or keeping an eye out for someone else’s children, making sure they don’t hurt themselves or drown, cuz the parents are too busy drinking.

We started bringing our kids when we thought they were old enough to enjoy it and we could enjoy them too 10 and 11 i don’t understand the people pushing strollers with infants

Jimmy…“i don’t understand the people pushing strollers with infants”

Let me tell you one of the most beautiful moments in my life was pushing my grandson in his stroller around the resort (in Punta Cana in the spring and agian this fall in Cuba) in the morning before anyone else was up. The peace and hearing the waves lap the shore and feeling the warmth of the sunrise, the look of contentment on my grandsons face was enough to know we made the right decsion to bring him on vacation.

Dude…read what I said! I said I do not hate children! I wish there was a place on the North coast that was Adult only…why is that so hard to understand? I even stated that “hate” was probably TOO strong of a word.

On our trip in November we took one of my friends children, Pearla, 7 years old to the Sosua Bay Club for the day. It was great! We thoroughly enjoyed her! Of course she didn’t scream, she didn’t cry, she didn’t want this and that, she dined like a lady, she didn’t bother anyone, she didn’t run around like a flaming kamikazee,…to be honest she simply didn’t act like most of the European and North American children we have seen on resorts. Then again…WE PAID ATTENTION TO HER!!!

Listen…I appreciate the fact that many people enjoy the little kiddies on vacation…No problem. Why can’t us that do not like kids on vacation express our thoughts?

You said quote" I do hate children on vacation"

end of subject for me!!!

I hate the fact that there are children at my resort…and I am really referring to the typical mis behaving child as those are the monsters that become so obvious!

Every time someone brings up mis-mannered kids a few folks get back on their heels…I don’t get it, unless they are the ones with the little monsters!

Nuff said

As someone who has had kids, grandkids, operated a licensed day care for 12 years I totally understand wanting to vacation WITHOUT KIDS!. It is not a bad desire. Most kids are usually well behaved and so are there parents. However, when I was checking into a holiday (expensive, tropical, unusual for me), I researched the hotel and area. I ended up choosing Breezes POP. for the following reasons. They had a kids club, separate kids pool. I chose my room to be distanced from those facilities that catered to kids. I did not want to be bombarded by kids 224/7. What kind of holiday would that be for me in my line of work?

Advice-Research the hotel, activities etc. or make sure you book a hotel that does not allow children. If you choose a hotel that does allow children, remember they are on vacation too and should be having the time of their lives. If the children are unruly, let the parents/staff know. But remember, kids will be kids. I usually notice the adults who are obnoxious, the kids are usually in bed!

When I posted this thread, I was only asking for an AI that did not cater to kids. We have gone from “I hate kids when I am on holiday” to "A buggy ride in the early AM really turns me on"
I have learned that there is no such thing as an Adult Only on the North Coast.
I would go to a resort , such as the BPRSJ, huge place, 4 pools, a beach that is a 1/2 mile long, if they would change the Club Golden pool to an Adults Only and take down the stupid sign “No Top Less” as the beach is only 20 feet away, and there are lots of Top-less guys and gals who have to put their tops on to walk 10 feet to get to the bar.
The huge restaurant is divided into four wings. The one wing marked (no smoking) could be renamed (No smoking AND No kids) because it is an open air, wall less unit to start with.
Don’t want to pay the big bucks of Sandals. Just want to enjoy my own holiday on my own terms.
When I had 2 curtain climbers I made sure that nobody was put out by the conduct of my kids and the only thing I ask is that MY holiday is peaceful and not dictated by my “next door neighbours” kids.

Amen to that!

[quote author=hula board=general thread=1133678791 post=1133968616]Jimmy…“i don’t understand the people pushing strollers with infants”

Let me tell you one of the most beautiful moments in my life was pushing my grandson in his stroller around the resort (in Punta Cana in the spring and agian this fall in Cuba) in the morning before anyone else was up. The peace and hearing the waves lap the shore and feeling the warmth of the sunrise, the look of contentment on my grandsons face was enough to know we made the right decsion to bring him on vacation.[/quote]

Hula…It’s nice to hear you had a chance to bond with your grandson…but I wonder how many other people you inconvenienced to experience your “beautiful moment”? If your grandson is still of an age that he needs a stroller, then, IMO, he should have been left at home with relatives.

I agree with Jimmy…I’ve seen too many small children under the age of 5 or 6 scream with pain because of the air pressure changes when the plane descends, or scream with frustration because the their meal times have been changed to suit their parents(9:00 pm sitting for kids…give your head a shake…) or their parents won’t stop them from kicking the seat in front of them on the plane(for nearly the whole flight), even when they’re asked politely to get them to stop.

If your grandson and his parents don’t fit into this group, then, take pride in the fact you are a member of a very select minority who still value civility and manners and respect the rights of others.

The fact of the matter is, “breeders” rule the world, and those of us who choose to remain childless don’t dare criticize the behavior of someone else’s child who won’t behave in a civilized manner.

This year we are going to an Adult Only section of a resort. We thought we’d give it a try. I have no problem with children - I work in a business that sees a lot of children and I get along well with them. However we have had some bad experiences with children at resorts. But I do blame the parents and not the children because the parent knows better! I mean when you have children climbing up on the swimup bar and jumping into the pool splashing pool water into everyone’s drink you’d think a parent would do something about it. But I have seen a parent get very mad at the bartender for telling her child not to! Last year we were turned off several buffet dishes because parents were letting their children pick up food items with their hands and then replacing them unto the buffet trays! I even saw one child take a bit of something, spit it out and put the rest of the item back, while the parent stood by and did or said nothing! And we wonder why we get sick sometimes while on vacation!

Quote Phil & Jill (On our trip in November we took one of my friends children, Pearla, 7 years old to the Sosua Bay Club for the day. It was great! We thoroughly enjoyed her! Of course she didn’t scream, she didn’t cry, she didn’t want this and that, she dined like a lady, she didn’t bother anyone, she didn’t run around like a flaming kamikazee,…to be honest she simply didn’t act like most of the European and North American children we have seen on resorts. Then again…WE PAID ATTENTION TO HER!!!)

Listen…I appreciate the fact that many people enjoy the little kiddies on vacation…No problem. Why can’t us that do not like kids on vacation express our thoughts?

You guys summed it up at the end of your first paragraph — YOU PAID ATTENTION TO HER!!!)

We love kids dearly and have a wonderful time with SOME of them when we are on vacation, HOWEVER, some parents think that everyone else will look after their kids because, lets face it (as we are often told), “WE ARE ON VACATION”, well, listen up folks, so are we, and all that we ask is “keep your kids under control and don’t ask strangers to look after them for you”, after all, we didn’t pay lots of money to babysit your child(ren).

Buckybruce, First of all my grandson slept both ways on the plane from takeoff to about 1/2 before landing when we woke him up!!! I agree with you 100% that parents should look after their own children. My grandson is 20 months old and I will tell you he is more well behaved the most of the adults that we have seen on vacation!!!

Lets all take a deep breath and get back to the subject of this post, Adult’s Only. Many, many members have different opinions about children on a resort. but that was not the question asked.

True…it has gotten slightly off topic as most threads do. Whats the big deal? People had some valid points and obviously it is a rather hot topic. Now we are not supposed to have different opinions? I don’t think your post was necessary.

If you want to talk about kids in a resort and not Adult’s only then start a new thread then Phil as you have done in the past about children on planes and resorts. Not once did I say people are not allowed to express their opinion so do not put words into my mouth that don’t belong there.Stillgotit