Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

AI at Occidental grand Punta Cana

Hi there. New to forum. We are 5 families heading to Punta Cana on Dec 9-16th. STaying at Occidental Grand PUnta Cana. Transat holidays,which supposedly gives us a few perks.
Because I have never done an all inclusive before,I am a little leary. Has anyone stayed here? How are PUnta Cana resorts in general with good food preparation, etc.?
I realize anywhere you go,it is the company you travel with, and your attitude which decides if you have fun or not.
The price is definitely right,kids are ages 12-17.
Has anyone stayed at this resort? If so,how are the rooms, food, etc. And is there anything to do off the resort that is close by.

I have been there 2x, food was decent, rooms have been recently renovated, off the resort you can people watch across the road @ Steve’s Bar, also there is shopping @ Plaza Bavaro just outside the gates, there is also the Mangu disco just inside the gates locals are allowed to frequent this disco.

I will answer your question about the weather here, although nobody can predict the conditions, it will be 28C to 30C breezy everyday with approximately 20km winds, slight chance of localized showers that last generally only a few minutes.

Enjoy your stay @ the Occidental Grand.

Hi Megamania My hubby and I were there is Feb of this year. Please read my review on Tripadvisor, Page 39. I agree to what you said, your holiday is what you make of it. We had a good time.

Hi. I did read your post on trip advisor. One thing I forgot to ask,and I have read several reviews,is…we are going on a transat holiday,preferred room,apparently gives us a few perks,bathrobes, sliippers, private area for beach with drink service.
Then I read about “royal club” and people say that is the only way to go at the Occidental Grand PUnta Cana. Can someone tell me if they are the same. I did check with our travel agent about the “preferred” room with Transat holiday, and she assured me that it was what I said above,oh,and also guaranteed 5 ali cartes,and free admissino to the disco,but $ for drinks there. Just wondering if anyone knows the difference between Royal and Preferred. Maybe the rooms??? Any comments?? Again, my thanks.

Having stayed in both categories I can comment… The Royal Club is extrodinary, a HUGE step up in rooms and food and premium drinks, also with it’s own special beach area and beach bar and your own 24 foot jacuzzi for Royal clubbers only. You can have all your meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Royal Cub a la carte private restaurant too.

All the other room categories including Preferred etc are just so-so, in need of upgrading, though some have claimed they did (we were there this past christmas/new year, the mold on the curtains was about 4-5 feet high, yuk, we just pulled them aside and just didn’t bother them again. The preferred beach section is located right in front of the watersports area so that part of the beach is roped off to swimmers and you have to walk over a very short distance and swim there. Slippers and robes are nothing to write home about LOL.

When staying here this last time we found the buffet to be really very, very good and the a la cartes not so much.

The disco doesn’t get happening till about midnight and drinks are around $7 each there.

Hope this helps a bit.

Oh, and the entertainment was the worst I’ve seen in all the resorts I’ve been too, but I don’t go there for their entertainment, I can make my own LOL