Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Air Transat ends free meals on flights south

Air Transat is the latest airline to jump on an industrywide trend and start charging passengers for food. The Quebec-based carrier says economy-class travellers on flights to sun destinations and the United States will have to pay for their meals starting June 1. More you can read here http://travel.ca.msn.com/air-transat-ends-free-meals-on-flights-south

What will you do will you look to book your flight south with different airline that offers meal or you will just buy meal? Will others follow Air Transit and start charging as well? What is your opinion?

Air Canada started charging for meals a few years ago.
We take sandwiches from home on the way to Cuba and make a lunch from the Buffet for the trip back.

What about is people start bringing food that is not only sandwich but lest say food that has more flavor and stronger smell. I know some people that do not like flying and have problems with their stomach during flight would different smell of food make them even more sick? I guess I will have to ask my friend this question :slight_smile:

Airlines. Don’t you just love recycled air?
You can smell the Egg-McMuffin style hot sandwiches they sell, from nose to tail.
That’s why peanuts aren’t served anymore.

If meals are not offered for free, I bring my own. I’m sorry if others are bothered by the smell, but that’s just another of the pleasures (?) of flying today.

I’d probably consider buying a $6 sandwich if you could use cash, but I have a “thing” about putting consumables (gas, groceries, meals, drinks) on credit. I use my credit card to book my vacation, but everything else is cash on the barrel, baby.

We missed dinner at the hotel this year going down and coming back. We arrived 10PM at the hotel and we left at 7PM when we returned.
No big deal… Estaban at the 24 Hour bar still makes knock-out ham and cheese sandwhiches. A late night snack with a beverage of a sociable nature put us right in the vacation mood when we arrived.

Going back we had sandwiches at the airport. Even at “airport” prices it was still cheap and very fresh.

I have to say, it wouldn’t make or break anything for me. I’m used to not being treated nicely on a plane. :wink: I will go with the carrier who offers the best “deal” overall. Not necessarily price, but flight days/times, hotels, etc. Westjet so far is my least favourite, but I haven’t flown them all by any means. My next flight will be my first charter since 2009, when I flew Signature (flight delayed by quite a bit, but we had our shuttle booked for o’dark thirty so we were committed. They gave us meal vouchers and a free “margarita” on the plane, so they tried LOL). I’m interested to see what I think of it, even though I’m cheating a big and upgraded.

Buying your meal by credit card on the plane would take forever if a lot of people want to eat as well. I don’t mind bringing my own food, Not sure what I can bring past security. The flight itself isn’t that long but when you add travelling to the airport, waiting around and the time spent on the other end getting your bags and going to your hotel, it makes a lot of time without food. This shouldn’t be an endurance test.

I usually fly Club Class, I doubt they will be cutting the meals in that section.

Sunwing says that it won’t drop the meals, I give them a couple of weeks and they will be on board (ha ha) with selling meals. Calling them selves a “high frills” carrier is a bit misleading, Canjet and Transat both had welcome drinks and wine with meals.

Being of the hypoglycemic persuasion, I always stock nuts, granola bars and even Pringles for quick snacks and usually pick up a banana and some breads from the morning buffet before we leave the hotel. We usually fly with Sunwing.

Speaking of Sunwing, I gotta tell you, on my trip last week to Varadero, we had a grrrrrrreat head flight steward who was very funny and cracked us all up on the way down (we were 99.9% Francophones). Much to our delight we had the same guy on the flight home, very jovial, it felt like we were all family. He did not wear a name tag so I can’t tell you his name, but he “looked” Cuban, spoke 3 languages, wore dark frames, had a killer smile behind an otherwise poker face, maybe in his thirties, slight build. Would love to know his name to send some positive comments to the carrier.

I’ll be lucky if he’s on my flight, then! You weren’t flying out of Toronto though, were you Zendudette?

It does. Snacks, drinks, meals…ugh. They do run tabs though.

[quote=@desmei]I’ll be lucky if he’s on my flight, then! You weren’t flying out of Toronto though, were you Zendudette?
NOPE, QUÉBEC CITY

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW THRILLED THE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS MUST BE… (NOT)

I have discovered the joy of Premier Lounges so my travel bud and I fill up there, as they have actual food, as well as an open bar. It’s around thirty bucks for two hours (not exactly sure) but once you have checked in it is a very pleasant way to spend the time before boarding. We do the VIP on the way back so we get loaded up on grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

Anyhoo, I could live three hours without food on a plane - because that’s how long it takes to get to Cuba.

I agree with the above poster who does not like to pay by credit card on the plane for snacks.

[b]We’ve flown SunWing, CanJet and WestJet lately. Have flown AT years ago but at the time I can’t recall “ClubClass” even being an option, so can’t comment, but lately we usually “pay the piper” for the exit row seats in the last few years for the needed legroom on the airlines mentioned. We used to take our chances and get to the airport early for those seats, but now that they are being sold “ahead of time”, we don’t want to risk not having them.

We usually pack a snack, or protein bars for flight down, if needed… and depending on the timing of the flight, seem to make it ok until we get to the destination, for lunch, as we usually book early 6-7am flights down.

I can understand not wanting to use the credit for consumables in your daily life, but we consider the days used for “flight & travel” as part of our vacation, so we “see how we feel” ~ whether or not to buy a meal at the airport, on flight, or book VIP upon return to “fill up” at the airport lounge.

WestJet offers a pre-purchase menu, which we just found out about, so may use it for our next flight down:

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/travel/basics/inflight-services/pre-purchase-menu.shtml
[/b]

At least with WestJet you’re pretty much guaranteed to fly on time, though, so even if you just bring a couple snacks, you’ll survive. I think my Signature flight was supposed to leave at 6:30 am or something like that and didn’t end up leaving till 11:30. I don’t think they fed us (? I only remember the free “margarita” LOL) on the plane, but they’d given us the meal vouchers so we were able to get a bagel and some fruit and coffee while we were waiting. Not too shabby.

The use of the lounge is a pretty good idea, actually. It’s cheaper than upgrading! LOL

More examples of getting less and paying more. Did i read in the article that Air Transat said it gives their customers" more variety, more flexibility and more choice to please the entire family."…lmao. Of course it does when you have to pay for it.

Sounds much like what Air Canda promised with Rouge. And all you get with them is delayed flights, free nothing and the price never went down from what I have observed.

I can’t imagine whats next. No bathrooms on planes? Would make room for more seats, more money for the airline and you may think that sounds absurd, but my parents think its crazy that you dont get a meal on a plane any longer and even when we did it’s on plastic and tastes like its microwaved. When they tavelled, it was fine china and 4 course meals included.

Never ASSUME anything in the airline industry is sacred.

[quote=@monctonguy]More examples of getting less and paying more. Did i read in the article that Air Transat said it gives their customers" more variety, more flexibility and more choice to please the entire family."…lmao. Of course it does when you have to pay for it.

[/quote]I love the way that companies say the opposite of what they are actually doing. They cut service and say that they are improving what they offer.

Apparently in the U.K. some airlines even charge you an outrageous fee for printing a boarding pass if you neglected to go on line and print your own. Coming soon to a Canadian carrier near you???

eeeefarm:

I read that post a while back, it just isn’t correct.

[quote=@bellagio][quote=@eeeefarm]Apparently in the U.K. some airlines even charge you an outrageous fee for printing a boarding pass if you neglected to go on line and print your own. Coming soon to a Canadian carrier near you???[/quote]eeeefarm:

I read that post a while back, it just isn’t correct.[/quote]

Maybe not all, but I did say “some”.

Customers who do not present a boarding pass at the airport will be charged a Boarding Pass Re-Issue fee at rate set out in our Consolidated Table of Fees

[a href=“http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/article6/”]Ryanair[/a]

There may be others, I haven’t checked. (yes, I know Ryanair is a discount outfit)

[quote=@bellagio][quote=@eeeefarm]Apparently in the U.K. some airlines even charge you an outrageous fee for printing a boarding pass if you neglected to go on line and print your own. Coming soon to a Canadian carrier near you???[/quote]eeeefarm:

I read that post a while back, it just isn’t correct.[/quote]