Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Airport security measures

I haven’t been on the forum for awhile so forgive me for any cross-postings!

This is from the Cuba Travel Network’s fb page:

In order to put the airport security measures taken in Cuba in line with the International regulations and requirements of the Civil Aviation, modifications have been introduced relating to the lists of articles prohibited for transportation by passengers on their body or in their cabin baggage.
Liquids, aerosols and gels must be in containers with a maximum capacity not exceeding 100ml. Containers must be packed in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag; one bag is allowed per passenger and must be presented separately for examination at the security screening point.

I guess it had to happen sometime… :-/

As I pointed out on CTN’s Facebook post about this, it’s too bad, I thought Cuba was above such reactive and pointless policies ::slight_smile:

Too bad. Yet another useless security measure that inconveniences passengers and does nothing to increase safety. I’ve said it before: security measures at airports are all about optics (see, we’re doing something!) and nothing to do with actual security at all.

The most effective measure for aircraft security would cost them absolutely nothing and improve both security and safety, but as far as I know nobody has taken that step. (if you are wondering what it is, simply this: do not allow passengers to wander around and stand in the aisle waiting to use the washroom. No better way for a terrorist to position himself exactly where he wants to be. Solution: put on your call light and take a number to use the can. Walk singly down the aisle so you can be observed, and anything you are carrying inspected. Even disregarding the terrorist threat, it is unsafe for passengers to stand around in the aisles. Clear air turbulence cannot be accurately predicted, and injuries can and have resulted with unbelted passengers.)

As far as the airports themselves, nobody checks anything until you hit the security line, so you are free to bring whatever explosives you wish with you in your checked luggage, carry on, car or truck, whatever. You don’t have to board an aircraft and blow it up to seriously disrupt transportation. A detonation anywhere in the airport, and particularly in a crowded security line, would work just fine. Seems the Israelis are the only ones who have this figured out!

New Security:
Arrive 3 hours early to find 2 of 10 wickets open.
Why?
They only need to pay 2 employees if they can make you line up for three hours.

Well…that sucks! I guess that means that we can no longer buy our Havana Club at the resort?! In Cayo Largo, HC white is around 1cuc more expensive at the airport. >:(

The way I read it, you can pack whatever you want in the checked luggage, just not carry-on. We try to have one bottle in each of 2 checked bags and one in each of 2 carry-ons. Of course, there are those that want to bring back 6 per person - that’s just gluttony. ::slight_smile:

[Of course, there are those that want to bring back 6 per person - that’s just gluttony. ::)[/quote]

I resemble that comment! :wink:

[quote=@karmadoc]As I pointed out on CTN’s Facebook post about this, it’s too bad, I thought Cuba was above such reactive and pointless policies ::)[/quote]Planes leave Cuba and fly over the US, and doubtless that’s where the pressure to meet these “International” rules comes from.

You’re probably right, it’s just unfortunate that they, like the rest of the world, have finally succumbed to such a reactive and ineffective policy.
I’m with eeeefarm, the only ones that have it right for effective security are the Israelis, the rest just try to baffle everyone with technology and bs.
I guess everyone has to follow the “leader” :stuck_out_tongue: eventually as they carry the biggest stick, ::slight_smile: at least for now. :wink:

Hola
In the end does it really matter all that much.
cheers

[quote=@spunky]New Security:
Arrive 3 hours early to find 2 of 10 wickets open.
Why?
They only need to pay 2 employees if they can make you line up for three hours.

[/quote]

Love that…and so sad but true these days!!!

On the main topic though, does this make a big difference really? These are the same rules that we have to fly there with when leaving Canada right? And if we are flying back and have a connecting flight anywhere, would have the same rules in effect?!

On a flight last month between Houston TX and Queretaro MX this measure was in place.

Looks like these new Cuban carry-on rules will boost Duty Free sales.

I’m with crabby1 and monctonguy: what’s the big deal? Flying comes with certain security levels and, if you follow the simple packing rules, not an issue, imo. (removed off topic comment :P) I totally agree that the Israelis are the only ones who’ve got it right!
So Cuba has implemented the same regs as exist elsewhere…so what? Not all the flights leaving Cuba are going to Canada and those European countries, where tourists originate, are the ones that most likely put on the pressure. They wouldn’t want unsecured planes flying over their airspace and into their large cities!

[quote=@radar][quote=@eeeefarm]

Looks like these new Cuban carry-on rules will boost Duty Free sales.[/quote]

There you go! :wink:

Done properly, it wouldn’t present a problem. As with anything new, there would be a certain amount of grumbling, but then people would adjust (you used to be able to smoke on planes!)

It is entirely unsafe and unnecessary for folks to be wandering around on aircraft. Not to mention being horribly annoying for people in the aisle seats close to the washrooms, who have to put up with the intrusion on their space. A nuisance for cabin staff trying to serve snacks and meals as well. As far as the health issues go, well the entire compliment of passengers can hardly take their constitutional walk en route. Consider your controlled washroom visit as your opportunity to stretch, and learn to do flexing exercises while seated.

I grew up flying in small aircraft. You don’t have room to stand up in a Cessna 170 en route to Florida (and it takes a lot longer than a commercial jet at the speed it flies), and you don’t have a washroom, either. People adjust just fine when there is no alternative…

Since rules and regulations on board a flight is wandering away from the topic of airport security measures in Cuba, I guess it will just have to be addressed elsewhere…like a new topic.

Hola
I fail to see where duty free sales will be increased, buy you rum at the hotel if you want, place them in your checked luggage. If your over in weight, place dirty items in your carry on.
We bring back 6 700 ML of rum each trip, in our checked luggage, never in the carry on, even if our flight is direct from cuba.
cheers

[quote=@steffiej]Since rules and regulations on board a flight is wandering away from the topic of airport security measures in Cuba, I guess it will just have to be addressed elsewhere…like a new topic.
[/quote]
Last time I looked, it seemed like the flights are what they are “attempting” to protect, since they don’t bother with a security line when you enter the airport. ;D

If you want to split hairs, sure. But what’s the point?

[quote=@steffiej]Since rules and regulations on board a flight is wandering away from the topic of airport security measures in Cuba, I guess it will just have to be addressed elsewhere…like a new topic.
[/quote]

Come on steffiej. If we have to be as ridgid in keeping on topic as you suggest what’s the use of discussion.
Let’s all cut & paste the answer to often asked questions and then close the thread.

Sure duty free sales will increase. If you don’t know the new rule you will have your bottles taken away. What are you going to do then? :wink:

Hola
No, not buying that, when it comes to booze people will learn very quickly…lol
cheers.