Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

All Canadian Tour Operators drop Cartagena

As of August 18th all Canadian tour operators have decided to avoid Cartagena, Colombia. The official reason given is lack of customer interest. I’m personally very disappointed. My wife and I were there last February at the Las Americas Hotel and wanted to return this year for 2 weeks but I guess it’s not in the cards for the winter of 2007. If anyone knows of a tour operator to Cartagena out of Toronto or Montreal please post the info.

You could always look for flights out of Buffalo

Since Buffalo isn’t a hub airport you would spend at least 12 hours and 3 or 4 plane changes getting to Cartagena.

Guess it depends on how badly you want to go…

After having been to Cartagena 5 times, we had decided we wanted to go in 1999 for 3 weeks. Tour companies had pulled out of there for several years and this was the first time they were in the book again… had out trip booked but, 2 days before we were to go to the TA to put down our deposit, she called and said the tour company had pulled out.

I had my heart set on Cartagena so, I faxed the hotel (Capilla del Mar) and got quotes - mentioning we had stayed there several times before and had our TA price Air Canada from Toronto to Miami and Avanca from Miami to Cartagena return. As the tour companies price could not be matched, we were now looking at 2 weeks.

Price came back at a total of $3,610 for 2 persons for 2 weeks (hotel $1830; air fare 1740; $40 Colombian departure tax) - hotel room plus breakfast… lots of restaurants to eat out and, we have lots of friends whom we have to eat at their house at least once— worked out not too bad.

We had a FANTASTIC time!

We were considering going for Christmas and New Years this year cause we know they do have great parties… guess we will have to go somewhere else!!!