Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

American cash to pesos

i’m still not sure what to take along for money.can american cash money be exchanged for pesos at the fun royale?or if you take american cash,are you stuck spending it as american cash? is there an automated teller machine at the fun royale?
thanks for any input.

American money is king in the D.R. PERIOD. Yes, US`$ can be readilly exchanged for pesos in the D.R. Other currencies are not as welcome when you consider the exchange.

Never thought abour being ‘stuck’ with American money.

There is an exchange (cambia) near the front entrance at the Fun Tropical/royale and the exchange is pretty good there, within 2 pesos per US`dollar than what you would get away from the rsort areas. (Compared to other resorts, that is a great exhange)

Last week the rate was 34.6 pesos per $1US.

Rates seem to vary from exchange houses to exchange houses,.
Last week I used the US$ everywhere I went in PUJ, conversion was calculated at 35.6 peso to the US$, only once did I receive peso’s for my change.

There’s a world of difference between Puerto Plata and Punta Cana. In Punta Cana, I don’t even consider using pesos. In Puerto Plata, I use $US in the resort complex and pesos elsewhere.

That’s because when you are in Punta Cana you may as well be in US. IMHO

gg… I agree 100% The 2 areas might just as well be on 2 different islands.

i just saw that it was 35.4 pesos to the dollar also, with that in mind, is everything real cheap for us to buy there? whats average prices for things in the d.r.

Hello
Not been to PC, yet !
However, in Puerto Plata DRP were very well accepted. Infact at the little supermarket in Playa Dora Mall, they only took DRP.
Went to Santo Domingo and there most of the prices etc were all in DRP. (Although I’m sure they woul dhave happily accepted $)

Redrose…what are the things you want to know prices of?

[quote=@jahaira]American money is king in the D.R. PERIOD. Yes, US`$ can be readilly exchanged for pesos in the D.R. Other currencies are not as welcome when you consider the exchange.

Never thought abour being ‘stuck’ with American money.

There is an exchange (cambia) near the front entrance at the Fun Tropical/royale and the exchange is pretty good there, within 2 pesos per US`dollar than what you would get away from the rsort areas. (Compared to other resorts, that is a great exhange)[/quote]

The cambia at FR-T has better rates than you will find at the plaza. The only problem is that they will not break down large peso notes, e.g. a single 500 RD note to 5, 100 RD notes. So to play the game as per their rules, convert $5 USD and $10 USD, rather than a wad of $20’s. They also will not convert pesos to USD. You must have your passport when converting. Also, when purchasing items at the mini-mart at FR-T, don’t use big notes because they will not be able to give you your correct change. So don’t present a 500 RD note to buy a 150 RD item and expect to get 350 RD in change.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your Domincan experience! :slight_smile:

SB

If you are planning on a lot of shopping get the heck out of the resort! Go to a RUSA exchange (there is one about 2 miles west of the Playa Dorado on the main road) and they have (my experience) always the best rate. You will not nee a passport or anything. There will be a sign eith the exchange rate and they will give you a printout of what you will get.

Try not to buy anything at the resort because the prices are inflated by about double. Get out and enjoy!

i like shopping in general from jewelry to clothes. last time i was there i found jewelry a bit expensive. i bought blue amber. how much are cigarettes? i know silver is real cheap right now, just came back from mexico the prices were pretty good. any info appreciated.

thanks for the advice jahaira.that’s the best advice i’ve gotten so far,take small bills to exchange to pesos.thank you.off the topic,where’s the closest place outside of the complex to go shopping?if it is in puerto plata,where would you suggest to go to a walmart type of store where they sell a little of everything but a lot of nothing?