Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Americans booking through Canadian Tour Operators

We are planning a less expensive week in Punta Cana in August of this year (as compared to our already booked week at the IB Grand in March).

We are planning to book our air directly with USA3000 and would like to book a resort separately. I have read about some fantastic deals that Canadians get through the Canadian tour operators. Do you think we could get a better deal for the hotel only than we would get with a US tour operator?

Right now the best deal we are looking at from a US tour operator is with Funjet for the Punta Cana Princess for $1,278 US for 7 nights (Aug. 1 - 8) for two people.

I don’t see any reason that we couldn’t book the hotel only with a Canadian tour operator if we can get a better price. Which companies would you suggest we check with?

My experience (also confirmed at resorts) is that unless your flight is very, very cheap or free (air miles) it is much cheaper to book the whole package ( flight and room ) together. Sometimes if you get a good sell off it may even be cheaper to book the whole package even if your flight is free. Also remember to factor in the cost of transfers to and from the airport which aren’t included when you book separately.

The reason some of the trips from Canada are cheap is because it is for the whole package. I am not even sure who you would go through to book the resort seperately.

I’m a little confused with this "Right now the best deal we are looking at from a US tour operator is with Funjet for the Punta Cana Princess for $1,278 US for 7 nights (Aug. 1 - 8) for two people."

Is it for 2 people, or is that each??

The cheapest I can find from TO for those dates is $1,158 + $315 tax each for Deluxe and $1,188 + $315 (both CND $) each for O/V.

If you booked online directly with the hotel for those dates they state $595 ea for Deluxe and $714 each for VIP.

If your flights are being booked on air miles, I would suggest contacting the hotel directly online to book because it would only cost you $1,428 total US for your stay for 2, if indeed your above price is PP and not for 2. If it’s for 2, grab it NOW.

If I have misread your post, please forgive me. FYI, it’s a great hotel.

Edited to add: Most online operators I have seen offer flight only or packages, I’ve never seen just hotel only.

I find that most americans that book with canadian tour operators live on the border and book the whole package. Usually it is cheaper for Americans to book the whole package only when the Canadian dollar is not worth as much as the US dollar.

I have booked two package AI through Sell of Vacations and they were cheaper then flying from the US because of the us dollar is doing better then the Canadian dollar.

USA 3000 out of Cincinnati (CVG) on 8/1 (Flight 376), with a return on 8/8 (flight 377), shows $947.56 all-in for two people.

Go to Funjet.com and search hotel only for the same time period and you will see that the PCP is offered for $1278 for TWO people.

That separate booking combination beats any package price I’ve found so far!

P.S. - that PCP booking is for something called a “Platinum Suite”

Many Americans that are close to the border do book with Canadian Tour operators, especially those in NY state, Indianapolis might be a bit far to travel to a Cdn. gateway

Funjet shows nothing to Punta Cana on the search engine I tried out of Chicago, Indianapolis or Detroit for August.
USA 3000 shows $1,079.99 per person + tax 133.80 from Chicago = $2,427.58 for the couple in US $'s which is approximately $3000 Cdn.

Air Transat shows the PCP Deluxe Ocean view Suite at $3006 Cdn taxes included about the$2425 US

So it is not worth the travel costs at this time.

Wud,

I’m getting my USA 3000 quote directly from USA3000.com.

Well if this helps…we are Canadian and are going with a couple from the States. We booked through our tour agent here staying at the PC Princess …cost $1278 PER PERSON…they simply booked through our agent.

We are flying out of Buffalo - but booked the hotel only thru Holiday House (I understand owned by Sunquest or other way around). Last year we booked the hotel only thru Sunwing and fly from Toronto on Westjet.

We are also flying out of Buffalo . Much cheaper than flying out of Toronto.Much easier too. Booked thru VTG ,we also use Bookit.com which also has good packages.

[quote=@funmuck]We are planning a less expensive week in Punta Cana in August of this year (as compared to our already booked week at the IB Grand in March).

We are planning to book our air directly with USA3000 and would like to book a resort separately. I have read about some fantastic deals that Canadians get through the Canadian tour operators. Do you think we could get a better deal for the hotel only than we would get with a US tour operator?

Right now the best deal we are looking at from a US tour operator is with Funjet for the Punta Cana Princess for $1,278 US for 7 nights (Aug. 1 - 8) for two people.

I don’t see any reason that we couldn’t book the hotel only with a Canadian tour operator if we can get a better price. Which companies would you suggest we check with?[/quote]

Funny, for us in Winnipeg we have no packages in the summer and used an American company (MrIberostar.com) for the hotel this past August, much, much, much cheaper for us, but more hassle.

I may be mistaken but I believe it is $947.56 each per person for 2 people not $947.56 for 2 people.

finaddict,

You ARE mistaken. It is $947.56 for both! Go to USA3000.com and check for yourself!

OK, $948 + $1278 = $3226 US which is about $3900 CDN using a VERY conservative conversion rate of 1.21. A package from Toronto to the PCP for the same date came out at $2946 CDN and that includes transfer to and from the airport in Punta Cana. That was for what they call DELUXE SUITE REGENCY CLUB. Looks to me that there’s about $1000 difference

BFC,

With all due respect, I’m not sure what math you are using. The last time I checked, $948 + $1278 = $2226 US, not $3226! By the way, Funjet does throw the transfers in for the $1278 price.

Absolutely right. Must be this new metric system … ::slight_smile:

My error I thought the $947 you where referencing was for the land portion not the air portion.