Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Any tips for travelling with 15 month old?

i am considering travelling to Grand playa turquesa with a 15 month old so that my husband and i can attend a wedding.
and i am looking for any tips/information/advice from anyone who has travelled to cuba with an infant. we either take her or miss the wedding and i am not sure what to do…

My boy is turning 5 at the end of January and he has been away every year of his life. He loves to go to Cuba. We usually go to Playa Costa Verde in Holguin. We always pack extra snacks just in case he decides to get fussy with the food. He loves the french toast and bacon in the mornings(we bring a bottle of syrup from home) as it that is what he is used to…Also if your child eats ketchup bring a bottle of your own or packets from McDonalds.
Always a good idea to bring a jar of peanut butter. We bring chips granola bars and kool-aid jammers for the room. Last but not least we bring his portable DVD player. It helps on the plane and in the airport while waiting.

Lots of info here:

http://debbiesreviews.proboards88.com/index.cgi?board=Cuba&action=display&thread=6367

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate!

I brought soda crackers, Animal crackers, chicken soup and instant oatmeal. Also the Koolaid singles. This worked well for my friends little one who decided not to drink much else. Lots of diapers as well.(not easy to find)
Hope this helps

:slight_smile: We just came back from travelling with a 16 month old.

I would highly recommend you bring a stroller. Most resorts will have a high chair.

We made sure she always had her oatmeal for breakfast.

Don’t think you will be having a relaxing vacation. Our little grand-daughter wanted mommy, mommy, mommy. Everything was so new to her and I think she really felt out of sorts. Almost overwhelming to her I think. She was also teething at the time.

She didn’t like playing in the water (in either the ocean or the pool), or the sand.

She travelled really well on the plane there and back. A soother is a great thing to have handy for the ascent and descent.

Would we do it again? In a heartbeat!

I guess it all depends on what kind of child you have. I would just make sure your child has lots of his/her comfort items such as a blanket, soother, etc. :-*

I am travelling with my one year old on the 29th of January to Iberostar Playa Alameda - I’m finding these tips great. Just trying to figure out what all to pack & not go over my baggage limit - diapers, swimmers, etc, etc! It could be endless! thanks for the ideas

Sun screen that doesn’t have aloe. An eppipen just in case. Lots of sunscreen that you’ve tried for weeks on her before you go.
Babies put stuff in their mouth; a little eat-dirt before going might help too.
Like " No baby wipes No Javex Wipes No Peroxide wipes" for 2 weeks. So she has a chance to get some immunity to normal dirt. Amazing how many kids don’t have it.
I’m sure your daughter will be fine, but some people think they can take their “Bubble” with them. Big surprise.
You’ll have a great time.

My grand daughter who was 14 months at the time went to Cuba with us last April.
My daughter took her playpen to sleep in (there was a crib in the room but she perfered the playpen) and her stroller which came in handy for naps during the day and in the evening if they were not ready to go back to their room. She also had a baby float with a canopy for in the pool. We had no problems and my grand daughter had a great time.
We are all going again this April…To the GRAND PLAYA TURQUESA…

If going to grand playa turquesa bring your stroller for sure as BUG SPRAY …we were eaten alive.

If I’m not mistaken, DEET products should NOT be used on children younger than 2. Mosquito netting that goes over the stroller is a must. And there are alternative products for young children.

In terms of what to pack and your luggage limit, check the airline you are flying with for their allowances. Most websites will have lots of info. Most will allow a stroller and diaper bag free of charge for the infant, even if they are not paying for a seat.

Other things to bring

-Thin loose long sleeve shirts and pants for sun protection,
-very good hat that does not fly off, baby doesn’t rip off,
-lots of diapers as these are usually unavailable,
-swimming diapers (by the way, as these do not absorb water, they can usually be wringed out and reused once dry if clean)
-talk to your doc about potential meds, antihistimine in case of reaction to bug bites, decongestant ( I was told to give this to kids 2 hours before landing as it MAY help with the ear pressure thing when descending)
polisporin,

I’ve posted this before and I will do it again, because I feel very strongly about it! I would definitely NOT give decongestants to a very young child, unless it was homeopathic (which I’ve used successfully on 5 different trips) or the child was severely congested prior to the flight. In fact, many decongestants for children have been pulled off the shelves recently. Drinking water during the descent will go a long way to help.

My son’s pediatrician always gives me a prescription for antibiotics, just in case my son gets sick in Cuba. She writes on the prescription note for the antibiotic to be given to me in powder form, and the pharmacist gives me the instructions for preparing it myself if I need to use it.

UHT milk is also a good idea to bring, and you can take it in your carry-on if you are travelling with a child younger than 2.

As I mentioned in my post, talk to your doctor about any meds.

and then make an informed decision based on what you feel is best for your child! It’s been my experience that some doctors are quicker than others to push medication or to prescribe antibiotics when they are not always necessary, and there are other alternatives.

and then make an informed decision based on what you feel is best for your child![/quote]

Absolutely :slight_smile:

Hey Charchar,

We traveled last year to Playa Pesquero with our 16 month old and I know exactly what kind of trepidations you’re feeling. This site was great with helping us so I in-return will try and contribute. Most of the main things have already been noted but here are a couple odd things that worked well for us.

1. We brought a large sheet of thin plastic (cheap painters drape) and completely wrapped the crib mattress and sealed it with duct tape just to make sure anything that was growing or crawling in it wouldn’t make it’s way out.
  2. We brought duct tape to help baby proof the room (and because I’m an engineer and never leave home without it).
  3. Although some people think they’re cruel, we brought one of those baby backpacks with the “leash” so that our little guy could get a little bit of freedom to explore.
  4. A DVD player to amuse the little guy on the plane (they’re allowed in Cuba now).
  5. Stroller was a must for us.
  6. Gatorade powder just in case they get dehydrated.
  7. Small container of dish soap to wash the soothers and bottle nipples.
  8. A few beach toys like a shovel, bucket and truck.
  9. Band Aids for any scraps from the concrete walkways.
  10. Numerous jars of baby food (vegetables) just to make sure they get something familiar. We also included some jars of apple juice to make them want to drink as much water as possible. Include their favorite sippy cups.

Hope this helps!

On our last trip to Cuba there was a child on board that cried the WHOLE way down. Please do whatever you can to help your child (and the rest of the passengers) not to go through that much pain.

Shade I think is critical as a sunburn at that age is really bad. With fair skin it could happen in a very short amount of time in the tropics.

I would also be careful about putting the child on the sand - 2 reasons -

1. the parasites in the sand as baby’s put everything in their mouth &
  2. the sand fleas. My feet to knees were “really loved” by the sand fleas last trip to Cuba - I could only imagine the discomfort a baby would have if bitten 1/2 as bad as I was.

I would say not to worry if your child fusses the whole way down- everyone else can put ear phones on & watch the movie or listen to music. Try to enjoy your flight - that’s what I plan to do - I pay for my seats, therefore if my child cries, my child cries. However, if it’s because of pain, then yes, I will try to provide a bottle for the asscent and descent, etc. Perhaps that baby was just fussing because it was an unknown area.
Passengers onboard a plane where there are children should expect there to be noise… just as you should expect the chance that you can get stuck sitting beside someone you don’t want to (even an adult!). You just have to make the best of it!

I appreciate all the tips from everyone as well - I’m leaving in 11 sleeps! WOO HOO, I’ll be sure to make notes and post them when I get back :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: All of our seats were near the rear of the plane. It may be a little noisier due to the hum of the engines but I think it had a lot to do with “lulling” our grand-daughter into sleep and the other “plus” to this is was we were very close to the washroom and the kitchen area. We had no problem getting water and/or beverages when we wanted it and it was really easy access to the washrooms.

Oh, and I also paid for a seat. That doesn’t give me freedom to be inconsiderate of others around me. I also paid for my all-inclusive vacation which also includes a beach / pool lounger.

I would rather sit beside a crying baby than someone who either is too big for the seat next to me or someone who is a smoker. Oh yeah, and please, not everyone enjoys the scent of your favourite perfume. :stuck_out_tongue:

Enjoy your trip, melss. We look forward to hearing all about your trip when you get back.

[quote=@melss]I would say not to worry if your child fusses the whole way down- everyone else can put ear phones on & watch the movie or listen to music. Try to enjoy your flight - that’s what I plan to do - I pay for my seats, therefore if my child cries, my child cries. However, if it’s because of pain, then yes, I will try to provide a bottle for the asscent and descent, etc. Perhaps that baby was just fussing because it was an unknown area.
Passengers onboard a plane where there are children should expect there to be noise… just as you should expect the chance that you can get stuck sitting beside someone you don’t want to (even an adult!). You just have to make the best of it!

I appreciate all the tips from everyone as well - I’m leaving in 11 sleeps! WOO HOO, I’ll be sure to make notes and post them when I get back :)[/quote]

I found travelling with a young one to be quite a different experience than travelling by myself! I quickly realized that by staying calm and reassuring, and focusing on him, the flight experience was easier and pleasant for my son. Did I get to relax and enjoy the plane ride as I used to? Not really. But I felt my role was to do everything I could to make the experience as worry-free for him as possible. On each flight I received compliments about how well-behaved he is. Now that he’s older (he’s now 3), I’m expecting future trips to be easier, thus giving me a bit of time to enjoy the plane ride again!

I believe a lot also has to do with the child’s personality - my son is curious, calm and adaptable, he handles change very well. I’m guessing a nervous child, or one who doesn’t like change, might react differently.