Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Are you an all inclusive or a casa particular person?

I just wondered how many of you had ever stayed in a casa particular and, if so, how often?

I started off staying at the all inclusive resorts in the Guardalavava area mainly though I have stayed at Cayo Coco and Cayo Santa Maria. However nowadays I always stay in casa particulares.

I still have reservations though in recommending first timers to stay in casa particulares as they can be pretty basic and not everyone’s cup of tea.

My last night in Havana a couple of years back I was booked into what I considered a very sub standard one. I had flown up from Holguin and it was past 1am when I arrived at this house, so it was far too late for me to look for somewhere else.

I’ve been to lots of resorts, but I’ve only stayed overnight about 15 or 20 times, and rarely more than one night at any one resort.

I’m a fan of casa particulars and also some of the campismos. I’ve also wild camped a fair bit in isolated areas.

Cheers,
Terry

All inclusive for me, as then there are few surprises as to costs. Also, the AIs are generally on the best accessible beaches (I don’t doubt there are nice beaches off the beaten path, but getting there would be the issue). I have nothing against Casas, and mostly stay at B&Bs at home. But few Casas are on a nice beach. Not having to worry about looking after my stuff on the beach while I go snorkelling is one big plus at the AI resorts.

I had around 40 + trips to Cuba and I stayed at least 10 times in casa particulates and many times in all inclusive as well with my family in the house which I can’t call casa particular because is my family and our house. Last time for Christmas I stayed in all inclusive resort Cayo Largo Playa Blanca for 7 days but next time I go to visit my family I will stay in Cuba 30 days and I will sleep a few nights in casa particulares in Havana and most of the time at my family house so no all inclusive.

I often stay in private homes that are not registered casa particulares. Usually requires that the homeowner advises the local CDR that family from out of the country is staying over for a few days.

AI all the way for me. Call me crazy or call me lazy, but I like not having to cook, clean, mix my own drinks, etc. Plus, like eeeefarm said, no surprise extra $$$$ spent. I like the luxury of leaving my AI hotel room and having both feet in the sand within minutes too.

I’m with Babas on this one… like to just walk up to the bar and say “dos cervezas por farvor”

Another thing I forgot to add… every year we meet great folks at the resort that makes the trip so much more fun

AI for me as well. Not that I wouldn’t try a Casa, but I like to know my expenses ahead of time, as well as knowing that everything is done, food provided, drinks etc.

Well I’m back off to Cuba on May 6th for 3 more weeks in my regular casa particular and I just can’t wait. This will be my third visit this year so, all in all, by the end of May I will have spent 61 days in Cuba so far this year.

[quote=@monctonguy]AI for me as well. Not that I wouldn’t try a Casa, but I like to know my expenses ahead of time, as well as knowing that everything is done, food provided, drinks etc.

[/quote]That is what I was going to say. 
I do venture away from the protected enclave every day, but I take comfort knowing my bed is arranged and my meals are waiting, (usually under hot lights for hours…).
I like to go to town for lunch in a local restaurant, and people watching in the main square.
Plus, my knowledge of local language is limited to ordering omlets and Cubatas.

Man can live on omelettes and Cubata’s. Por Favor.

[quote=@spunky]Man can live on omelettes and Cubata’s. Por Favor.[/quote]Amen Brother!

[quote=@flygt5150]I often stay in private homes that are not registered casa particulares. Usually requires that the homeowner advises the local CDR that family from out of the country is staying over for a few days. [/quote][p]I do this also but always worry about my long-time friends and hosts. No matter how tight you are with the local CDR, it is still illegal for a guest to stay with only a Tourist Card visa.  [/p][p]They are not concerned and will hear no objections, so I go with the flow.  We even attended a CDR rally/street party across the road from an empty “cousin’s” apartment we were using for the weekend.[/p][p]I enjoy waking up to the roosters and hearing the songs of the street vendors coming and going on a still morning in a soon to be busy town.
[/p]

It’s those dogs that continually bark throughout the night that bother me. I’ve never heard a Cuban tell their dog to shut up.

You wouldn’t want to turn off your perimeter security system. :slight_smile:
Agreed, they can be annoying when one gets the whole neighbourhood going.

You don’t have to go to Cuba for the “barking all night” experience! Try living on a farm in Ontario. If someone is walking on the road after dark, you can measure their progress by whose dog (or dogs) are kicking up a fuss. :wink:

30 different casas - 32 different resorts / hotels. Now that Michel is 13 - Angelica 11 - always resorts - Si !!! Favorite resort - Iberostar Varadero.

We usually do one all-inclusive for every 4-5 independent trips. The all-inclusive most often will be a birthday trip for me, but not for more than one week.

AIs, one-week trips, but do spend time with our friends in Matanzas, Varadero and Cardenas (preparing a meal together is just as much fun as our pot-lucks here) ;D