Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Assaults in Las Terranas

We are visting the DR this Feb. It will be our 10th trip but we haven’t been there in a few years. I saw a thread about assaults, murders, and shoot-outs in Las Terranas this past year…that the local police do little to stop the assault on tourists… I was wondering if it is any safer these days? I would like to walk on that beautiful section of beach west from Playa Bonita where it’s just plams and water with my family!
THanks, Steve

no different than Toronto ,Montreal, Detroit or New ork…assaults take place all the time.

I was concerned that the level had gone up dramatically. Another forum here cited higher levels of crime recently in Las Terranas. And, on my previous visits there I heard that these instances were few. They seemed to have increased. I am trying to check further. With crime on the increase in a smaller area than a big city, you have a greater chance of getting “hit.”

Steve

Catchy title

Las Terrenas is changing every day and developing at a very fast pace.

Can you post a link to the thread about assaults, murders, and shoot-outs in Las Terranas

Safer then last year or from the time you visit last?

[quote]I would like to walk on that beautiful section of beach west from Playa Bonita where it’s just plams and water with my family!
THanks, Steve[/quote]

Go and walk much as you want, predators know a prey when they see one.

IMO you just want to stir some schit.

Samana

Samana - I think you may want to retract “your opinion”. Steve is referring to the following post which has had updates to it over the past year and is in the QQQ section:
http://debsdrtravels.proboards47.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1139681112

Steve - Welcome to the boards!

Bryan

The above thread was about the assault on tourists.

I saw the thread you posted, a long time ago; just wonder any of the victims did anything further, besides posting the story on a public forum.

Did any of the victims put a former complaint with all the details, to any Dominican Embassy or consulate in their own country of origin?

Did any of the victims put a former complaint with all the details, to any Travel agency or travel wholesaler in their own country of origin.

Did any of the victims put a former complaint with all the details, to any elected officials in their own country of origin?

Did any of the victims follow up on their complaint, if they made one? What was the response if any?

Did any of the victims write to the DR Ministry of Tourism, and follow up on it.

I am not disputing the accuracy of the story, only the apathy that follows. So I got hit, I will tell everyone to ovoid that place as the plague. Nothing else.

By doing nothing and just discussing the problem will not resolve it.

To discuss on the public forum and make damaging statements is very easy, from the 4 millions visitors who enter DR in 2006, some did catch flu, some die, some did get drunk and some did get lucky. Let see how many catch a flu…You get the point…

DR is a country that is developing rapidly, in this process of growth a lot of mistakes is being made.

BTW Bryan, just answer this question, you will be afraid to take the bus in Ottawa after the September 2006 murder of 23-year-old Michael Oatway at a bus station. Or, will you recommend to your friends and relatives to avoid Ottawa as a place where people get swarmed and assaulted at bus stations and eventual get killed.

I guess Ottawa is listed as one of the best places to live in the world, far, far away from Las Terrenas.

Have a good day everyone and a Merry Christmas.
Samana

I have no problems with the bus system in Ottawa, and would have no problems with my family using the system either.

Regardless of location (Canada, DR, US, etc) there will always be isolated incidents that garner media coverage. What doesn’t garner wide spread attention is all the good things that happen in these places. To be honest, I can’t recall a story being reported (at anytime) about good things out of the DR which is a shame as I’m sure many good things take place.

While the attached thread above may scare people off, I’m not worried about it. I plan on enjoying my trip to Samana in Feb and will proceed like my other 3 trips to the DR. I’m not going to lock myself in the resort because there is a bit of crime. If we all went by that thinking no one (anywhere) would step foot outside of their homes.

There will always be people who take interest in their holiday environment and others who could not care less (especially when in an AI-hotel).

Crime is almost everywhere on this planet.

What is different, is the probability and severeness how one could get hit.

Las Terrenas has had a few killings this year (none was a tourist) and just recently a disturbing incident at Colibri Hotel where one watchman was killed (some stubborn rumours speak of two dead).
Also Las Terrenas has had some attacks, burglaries and robberies on tourists and residents.
Some of those incidents are not reported (in the press, on forums, with the police) and a group of residents is now doing their own statistics as it is felt that the local police reports do not give the real picture.

Again there are people who are concerned (maybe they live here or have property), others downplay crime (maybe they have a business here or like to uphold the reputation of their holiday ‘paradise’).

The bottom line is:
It’s good to know the facts (like the one, that the DR is the fifth most dangerous place worldwide on counts of ‘violent deaths’) and then decide whether one cares, live with it or stay away.

Wishing you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year from
Samaná
mountainfrog

MtnFrog - Glad to see a local perspective on the topic.

Like I said, I plan to go and enjoy my vacation and as in past trips (granted to POP) I’m sure I’ll be off the resort a few times. Leaving the confines of the resort is how one gets to know the area and gains an appreciation of it too.

Merry Christmas!

Bryan

I also plan to vacation in Feb. (10-17th) in Samana - Las Terranas. Bryan, I was wondering if you’re staying in LT? Actually, I’m thinking of trying out the Atlantis Hotel over at Playa Bonita this time. I have passed it many times… and with the noisy scooters at LT…thought I would try the other side.

What I may not do is walk with my family down that wonderful stretch of beach way to the left of Atlantis(if you’re facing the water). What we usually do is drive as far as we can on the sand road then park and walk the beach further.

I’ll have to ask around down there but that’s where the safety issue concerns me given this year’s past posts. I figure if we carry nothing and have just bathing suits on - there’s nothing inviting to take.

I remember one time about 10 years ago the locals in LT were so upset about something that they threw glass, burning tires, dirt, etc…along the road out of town up to the gas station…it blocked anyone wanting to leave or enter…glad we were leaving the next day…when the road was cleaned up and clear.

Stef - To my knowledge (and I could be off base) the Bahia Estela is outside of LT - at least so I’ve heard. I’m guessing since I’ve heard we’d have to go into LT for shopping, etc.

You may not do that anyway… :wink:
Atlantis is the furthest you can drive with a car then the ‘road’ has become too narrow as the surf has bitten away the beach quite a bit.
Even the shallow and tranquil bay round the point has changed.
(Well, this is how we saw it last time we went there, about a fortnight ago.)

Yes, I do remember that ‘huelga’.
Since then, however, only minor disturbances have occurred and it’s fair to say that Las Terrenas is relatively quiet compared to other ‘huelga’ hot spots.

m’frog

The Viva Bahia Estela Hotel is next to the Viva Wyndham Samaná Hotel, about 4 miles out of LT (to the West).
The road has been paved recently and it’s now only a 10 minute ride into town.

m’frog

MountainFrog quote-
The Viva Bahia Estela Hotel is next to the Viva Wyndham Samaná Hotel, about 4 miles out of LT (to the West).
The road has been paved recently and it’s now only a 10 minute ride into town.
end m’frog[/quote]

You mean the sand beach road to the left (West) out of LT from the cementary which ends at the beach bar before the trail to PLaya Bonita is paved now?

I thought the Viva Bahia is towards the East…in the direction of El Portillo?

Steve

[quote author=stefany board=QuestionsabouttheSamanaPeninsula thread=1166803573 post=1167359871]
You mean the sand beach road to the left (West) out of LT from the cementary which ends at the beach bar before the trail to PLaya Bonita is paved now? [/quote]

No, not that one, that’s still a mud road.
It’s the one turning off west near the ‘marina’ to Playa Bonita and later forking off slightly left towards Cosón.

m’frog

We just spent 10 days in LT over Christmas. An 88 year old friend and his son were assulted on Christmas day on the path from LT to Playa Bonita (on the way down the hill towards the beach) - at around 10 am. A man in his mid 20’s came out of the trees and grabbed the older man by the throat with a broken beer bottle. Lucklily the son (in his 50’s) had money. Gave him $200 and the man ran away. The police were VERY responsive and seemed to take it very seriously - even bringing one suspect to us on the beach - but it wasn’t him. They never caught the guy.

Is hard to believe, a 88 year old on that trail, he must be in very good shape, and a son with $200 dollars in his pocket, just in case of emergency.
And the guy grabbed the older man by the throat with a broken beer bottle.
Ha, something is not right with this story, sorry hard to swallow.
Samana

Well, I decided to go to the Viva Wyndham for our Feb. visit. I loved that section of the beach anyway and when I discovered this resort on it - no question. Plus, it’s large enough resort that
outside crime will probably stay away from the premises.

Mountain Frog- Wyndham says they do not advise driving private cars there because of the road conditions…hey…that’s hogwash right? The road is paved to the hotel now? I thought I read an earlier post to that effect. Can you tell me? I think they just want money for the shuttles.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve - when in Feb are you going? I’ll be next door at the Estela from Feb 13 - 27.

Yes, it’s paved.
Still driving here is dangerous… :-/

m’frog