Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Back from Barcelo Cayo Largo

Hi guys!

Just back from Barcelo Cayo Largo…any questions? I will be writing a review and putting up pictures shortly. Had a very good week…and I will answer the obvious question first: the beaches! Barcelo currently has no beach directly in front, but it is showing signs of rebuilding and staff are constructing new stairs in anticipation. They are using Capricho beach to the west (10 minute walk or shuttle) and “Playa Blanca” at the east side…a couple of minutes walk from the last bungalow. A beach bar available at Capricho, chairs available at both. Pelicano and Sol both have usable beaches, although not terribly wide. Few palapas. Mostly the hotels are giving out sun umbrellas…guess they are getting tired of building palapas only to have them wash away. The best beach right now is in front of Lindemar, Villa Coral and Isla del Sur. :smiley: And yes, I took lots of pictures snorkelling!

Awesome ,eeeefarm.

We can’t wait to get back to CL in April.
Where was this picture taken ?
The coral looks alive and colourful ( not like in some places elsewhere in the Carribean )
Was there any talk at all about new development on the island , or is it still all just a lot of yapping ?

Yes , I am jealous :sunglasses: ;D

Glad to have the update. We hope to head back to the Sol in March. Great pictures.

[quote=@verycoldcanadian]
Where was this picture taken ?
Was there any talk at all about new development on the island , or is it still all just a lot of yapping ?
[/quote]My friend took the picture on the “Lo Maximo” excursion…I don’t usually do tours, but wanted to check out the snorkelling. They take you to the reef straight out from Playa Serina…we were very close to the small islands you see there. Enjoyed the opportunity…they did give us almost an hour in the water, which was enough without a wetsuit. Here’s another picture taken there:

Regarding development…I didn’t see anything really going on, but there are stakes along the dunes on the way back from Punta Mal Tiempo, and that is the area I have heard mentioned before as being slated for a new hotel. (It’s also the area that currently has the best beach!)

:slight_smile: Welcome back and thanks for the update.

We are hoping to do a snorkelling excursion. Did you book the Lo Maximo through the resort? Is this a “special” excursion?

Looking forward to more of your pictures!

Don’t you ever stay home? What did you do, sell the farm? :smiley: :-*

eeefarm,

Glad you had a great trip! I look forward to your review and pictures because we are considering this location for 2010. Do you fly direct from Toronto to Cayo Largo?

Welcome back, but we want more snorkeling photos please, don’t be stingy!!

Wow, great pictures, I look forward to anymore you manage to post. I love the way you have managed to catch the underside of the surface of the water reflecting the reef below…

Wossa… ;D

[quote=@shirleyujest]
We are hoping to do a snorkelling excursion. Did you book the Lo Maximo through the resort? Is this a "special" excursion?

Don’t you ever stay home? What did you do, sell the farm? :smiley: :-*[/quote]
We booked it through our Nolitours rep…they do the “iguana island/snorkelling/natural pool/secluded beach” thing as a morning tour…including lunch…for somthing like 63 CUC and the afternoon “sunset tour” with similar criteria for about 10 CUC more…includes dinner.
And no, I didn’t sell the farm! (I wish I never stayed home…it’s cold here…and snowing!! and it’s my turn to deal with the horses. Actually, it’s always “my turn”, except when I’m in Cuba!)

[quote=@dentalflossy]
Do you fly direct from Toronto to Cayo Largo? [/quote]
Yes. I went with Nolitours/Skyservice. Air Canada also offers Cayo Largo…but you change planes in Montreal and spend most of the night there coming home!

[quote=@wossa]I love the way you have managed to catch the underside of the surface of the water reflecting the reef below…
[/quote]Can’t take the credit for that one…my snorkel buddy took it…but I’ll be putting more on line tomorrow. Spent much of this afternoon downsizing them…

That first shot is beautiful - looking forward to the rest. What camera are you using? I use a Pentax Optio underwater but it doesn’t take shots as nice as that. Nice Parrot Fish (?) in 2nd pic!

We’re thinking of doing a whale shark swim off Isla Holbox, Mexico in June - you sound like an avid snorkeler eeeefarm, ever snorkel with the whale sharks? Not sure if I have the nerve! :o

[quote=@lyndsey]That first shot is beautiful - looking forward to the rest. What camera are you using? I use a Pentax Optio underwater but it doesn’t take shots as nice as that. Nice Parrot Fish (?) in 2nd pic!

We’re thinking of doing a whale shark swim off Isla Holbox, Mexico in June - you sound like an avid snorkeler eeeefarm, ever snorkel with the whale sharks? Not sure if I have the nerve! :o[/quote]I’m using the Olympus 790SW…that’s what took the Parrot Fish shot…and my snorkel buddy was also using an Olympus…I think the 1030 or some such, she just got for Christmas. It takes a bit better picture than my 790, and the screen is easier to see…think I will pass on the whale sharks! BTW, whatever camera you use, it is useful to see if you can improve the picture with a photo program. Sometimes “auto levels” will bring up the colour, although occasionally you just get something quite bizarre! :smiley:

[quote=@123phoenix]Welcome back, but we want more snorkeling photos please, don’t be stingy!!
[/quote]Here they are, as requested:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/eeeefarm/Cayo%20Largo%2009/
Wouldn’t mind some help to I.D. some I don’t know…too tired to spend a lot of time with my reference book tonight. :smiley: I’ll be putting up a few more, plus photos of the resort in the next couple of days…

Great shots.

“… Spent much of this afternoon downsizing them…”

There are many ways to easily “batch” downsize. You can do hundreds of photos in just a few minutes. If you want some instructions or help let me know…

[quote=@eeeefarm][quote=@123phoenix]Welcome back, but we want more snorkeling photos please, don’t be stingy!!
[/quote]Here they are, as requested:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/eeeefarm/Cayo%20Largo%2009/
Wouldn’t mind some help to I.D. some I don’t know…too tired to spend a lot of time with my reference book tonight. :smiley: I’ll be putting up a few more, plus photos of the resort in the next couple of days…[/quote]

Lovely pictures…thanks for sharing !!

Pic 3, I think is a Yellow Headed Wrasse…

Pic 9, I’m not 100% sure but I think this could be a Juvenile Cocoa Damsel fish…I am stuck at work behind my desk at the moment and dont have my reference books so I might be corrected here …lol…

Pic 16/17, Ocean Triggerfish

The colours on the parrotfish are amazing !!

Wossa… ;D

Has there ever been a beach in front of the Barcelo
There was not one the first year it openned

koz , two years ago the beach all along the Barcelo area was about 50 ft wide and perfect.
Thanks for sharing your pics eeeefarm.
Why do you say that " that is enough without a wetsuit ’ ?
We have never tried one .

#4 and 5 Schoolmaster

#9 Fairy basslet

#12 Spotfin Butterflyfish

#16 and 17 Queen Triggerfish

[quote=@martian]Great shots.

"… Spent much of this afternoon downsizing them…"

There are many ways to easily “batch” downsize. You can do hundreds of photos in just a few minutes. If you want some instructions or help let me know…[/quote]I used “downsize” as an abbreviation for the processing I did…colour correction, cropping, etc…not appropriate for a batch job…but thanks for the offer. It’s something I’ve never bothered with since I don’t normally treat two pictures the same way. :smiley:

[quote=@koz]Has there ever been a beach in front of the Barcelo
There was not one the first year it openned[/quote]The first time I stayed at Barcelo…January 2004…there was a very good beach in front of the resort, and you could walk all the way to Playa Serina via the beach with no “mountain goat” detours. You could also walk east past the tower at low tide…

Thanks, everyone, for the help with the I.D.s :smiley:

Great pics eeeefarm.
Thanks for sharing!

Good Morning! My husband and I are first time visitors to Cayo Largo and have booked the Barcelo for a week, leaving on January 30th. My husband is diabetic and we were wondering if they have any diet pop available?

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos as they certainly get us excited for our upcoming departure.