Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Back from Cameleon Villas Jibacoa

Hello all. We got back Thursday but I haven’t had time to post 'til now.

We had a very nice stay here. The weather wasn’t great, more cloud and rain than sun. Probably our worst trip as far as weather goes. Still had enough sun to get a tan and make everyone jealous at home… :stuck_out_tongue:

We enjoyed the CVJ but it’s not a place I can rave about. The food was good, well prepared, but not a lot of variety and repetitive. Saying that, what we had was good enough that we never went hungry nor did we get sick. The grounds are beautiful and the staff was wonderful!!! The rooms are clean but could use some updating with paint.

After saying all that, I can honestly say that we would return to this resort for the right price. This resort is definitely not for everyone, but it was fine for us. This trip we paid each $559.18 (incl $280 taxes). I would say that if we were to get that price again, we would return. I think we would return at a different time of year though. The temperature was warm enough during the day and evening but it was certainly cooler that other trips and the pool and ocean were a little too cold for swimming. Unfortunately for us the week we went the wind was blowing every day and the ocean was quite rough with red flags every day. And, of course, the day we left it was sunny and calm.lol

This trip we wanted to see Havana and chose CVJ for that reason. We chose CVJ over the BJ only because of price. I can honestly say that while the food was ok, we were not disappointed with our choice. I think the saving grace of this resort is its staff. They are wonderful!

Our trip to Havana was A M A Z I N G !!! It was all that I hoped it would be! I don’t have one bad thing to say about it. Rather than email the guides; Jorge or Pototo, we waited and asked at the resort. We lucked out and was able to get a guide that many others have talked about; Humberto Mesa. He was a great guide and I highly recommend him! He is a very intelligent and well spoken person who really knew his history of Havana. He is a licensed taxi driver and he has 2 newer cars both of which have A/C. As others have said, the cost was $70 cuc and he stayed with us the entire day and took us to every place we wanted to go. If you don’t know of all the places to go, he has a “standard” tour which takes you to old and new Havana and you will not be disappointed. If interested, please feel free to contact me for his email.

All in all, we had a great trip. It would have been perfect if weather had cooperated more. :slight_smile: I’m hoping to get my full review written this week and submit it. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post them.
:sunglasses:

Sorry to hear you were so unlucky with the weather. This time of year is a bit chancy, but I have never had a whole week that I couldn’t get in the ocean! To be fair, cold water doesn’t bother me or keep me on shore (I have been in Lake Huron in October!!), but red flags are another matter. Of course it was sunny and calm the day you left! Murphy’s law strikes again. :smiley:

Glad you enjoyed Havana.

Thanks heads up on this place eeefarm. It’s pretty much what I expected. I wasn’t disappointed at all, but I could see how some people could be. I would rate it on par with the Villa Coral in Cayo Largo for food but slightly higher for the grounds and buildings. Of course it can’t hold a candle to the VC for beach though. I did get to go scuba diving one day and that was quite enjoyable.

I hope you tried the Spanish Coffee! :smiley:

Villas isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but it suits me fine. I’ve certainly been there often enough!

Most definitely had a few Spanish Coffee…Definitely yummy but I could only have a few as they’re a little sweet for a scotch/whiskey drinker… ;D

Nice report GefM.
How was cat and dog activity?

Hey Radar. I only saw 1 dog and 1 cat on resort. A few of the locals up the road had a few dogs, with a couple of pups in the mix. I would say, I saw a total of…6 or 8 total in the general Jibacoa area. I saw many when we walked around old and new Havana. I’d have to say, all that I saw looked in pretty good health.

Cheers to you on the continued work with the Spanky Project

Thanks GefM. The Spanky Project in collaboration with Cuban veterinarians and another animal welfare group will have an announcement soon. It pertains directly to the Jibacoa area.
Stay tuned to Debbie’s !