Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Backlash against bubbas

???
My nephew (godson) & his lovely girlfriend went on their first trip south. They stayed at the Barcelo Marina Palace in Varadero, Cuba.
Being the sweet kids that they are…they heeded our advice and each took a 20 oz. insulated mug. Needless to say they were very popular with the staff (who were always asking for their mugs ;D) but they found it upsetting that twice they were told that they were 'pigs just like ---------.'
Funny thing is they don’t drink alcohol ::slight_smile:
They held their tongue and ignored these remarks (by probably drunken idiots). I’m really proud of the way they handled themselves ;D
Now…if it were me…well, I might have threw my mug of “iced water” in his ignorant face :o. Since I don’t drink alcohol, either.
Where on earth do some people get the nerve to presume…anything about anybody…
Whew!..I feel better already

Has anyone else had something like this happen and how did you handle it ???

I find that funny too Tanlines. I also bring a nice sized travel mug with me that most of the time is filled with water, I admit sometimes it isn’t. I like a champagne and orange juice with my breakfast, a glass or two of wine with my lunch but most of my daytime consumption is water. I don’t use my travel mug in the evenings which is when I actually drink liquor ;D.

I don’t know why people look at mug holders and assume they are greedy drunks. If I want a drink I get one from the bar, if I want water I fill my mug. It lasts for hours and yes I am too lazy to go to the bar for a refill unless I have to use the bathroom also.

People with mobility issues also find them useful to minimize the walking! :slight_smile:

“OH BOY”…would old Jake ever love to meet “those” people ;), I too take my bubba mug along for the trip and yes sometimes it has water in it, but other times it doesn’t…I paid for an AI vacation and I plan on doing it my way. When I first started going south, I had to settle for the wee little plastic cups that are empty before I get back to my seat. So I guess I must have looked like a pig back then, because I always had two drinks on the go. Now that I have my bubba, I would welcome the oppotunity to explain to “those” people just how much I enjoy it too :smiley: ;). At least I’m not standing in a line for half my day waiting for another beer…or Margarita, or what ever I happen to fancy at the time. Jezz, can’t we just go have an enjoyable time…it’s our vacation and we paid good money for it, there must be something “gooder” to worry about than the size of someone elses mug…PETTY PEOPLE do not belong on vacation.
There, now I too feel gooder…

Jake, eh

We travel with modest 12 ounce size Aladdin brand thermal mugs.

When we visited the Barcelo Solymar a few years ago when it first opened, we were rather shocked to find the bartenders refused to fill our thermal mugs. They offered us two drinks and suggested we pour them into our mugs ourselves. Apparently, top management from Spain were at the Solymar the same week we happened to be there and they felt that thermal mugs were inappropriate as they would encourage guests to “drink too much”. This policy did eventually change.

I often wonder what management would have thought of those mega Bubbas (larger than 20 oz) had they been available years ago. I have visions of the head honcho fainting at the sight of those “buckets”.

[quote=@jake]…I paid for an AI vacation and I plan on doing it my way. …it’s our vacation and we paid good money for it, …PETTY PEOPLE do not belong on vacation.

Jake, eh[/quote]

:slight_smile: And since I also paid good money for an AI vacation, I would also expect the “slushy” machine doesn’t run dry of pina colada mix and that my vacation also includes a towel and a lounger and some shade when I need/want it.

Petty people DO travel. As do self-indulgent, rude, obnoxious, etc. people. That’s just the way it is.

I don’t really care what the “other guy” is doing and/or thinking and I do enjoy my vacation my way.

That’s why I’ll go topless and Beau wears his Speedo ;).

Gosh, have I covered all the “hot topics” in this one? :wink: :wink: :smiley: :-*

Some resorts and /or hotel chains will not fill / refill travel mugs with cerveza due to health reasons. They believe that germs can be transferred from the mug to the tap and that is why some only allow disposable cups to be used. Bartenders usually will fill a mug with a mixed drink. :sunglasses:

That’s a good point and one I had not considered. I personally don’t drink beer !

However, in our case at the Solymar, the bartenders refused to fill our thermal mugs with ANY alcoholic drinks.

Many of my Cuban friends / relatives consider the huge mugs very rude !!!

The best thing about the “travel” mugs is the lid that keeps out the sand and the bugs, and keeps whatever you choose to fill it with cool it also helps clumsey me from spilling it all over the place walking back to my beach lounger. you are on vacation do what you can to make it enjoyable, let people think what they wil.

I always take a 12 oz travel mug on my trips. The main reason I bring it is 'cause it keeps the sand out of my drink (and means less trips to the bar!). I do have a bubba and took it when I first got it but found it takes up a lot of room in my suitcase and holds way too much! To each his own I say.

And yet, we use the Bubbas in our suitcase to protect fragile items going down and holding loose cigars on our return. They are light and very durable. We use them at the resort as a) ice buckets, b) wine coolers for our room. For drinks we use 12 oz stainless steel coffee mugs with tight lids which, if tipped over, prevent loss of drink and sand getting into the drink and the ice remains “ice” for ages.
Bubbas have many uses other than for drinks! :slight_smile:

Everyone has made some good points here…I just think we all have to use some common sense ??? and drink responsibly ??? and leave the “size of your mug” out of the equation…after all, we all know that size doesn’t matter :smiley: ;). From what I can remember, Bubba Mugs come in different sizes and some people use the huge one to carry the drinks back for a few people, not just themselves :P. Then the drinks can be transferred over to the smaller mugs and everyone is happy…well except for the “Prude” who thinks we are all pigs…but we’ll leave that for another time ::).

Jake, eh

I ‘dug out’ my ‘bubba’ mug from the top cupboard…and used it today while I was out gardening 8-).
Kept ice in my drink for 2 hours. I’d say that’s reason enough to use one on the beach in the hot DR climate… :wink: :slight_smile:

And yet, we use the Bubbas in our suitcase to protect fragile items going down and holding loose cigars on our return. They are light and very durable. We use them at the resort as a) ice buckets, b) wine coolers for our room. For drinks we use 12 oz stainless steel coffee mugs with tight lids which, if tipped over, prevent loss of drink and sand getting into the drink and the ice remains "ice" for ages.
Bubbas have many uses other than for drinks! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Ok that just brought up a NASTY vision of “bubbas have many uses other than for drinks!”.

Specifally, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go…

Do bubbas come with a warning label "Caution, please ensure bubba is empty of ALL contents & thoroughly washed BEFORE refilling.

:slight_smile:

I LOVE my “52 oz Bubba” very much! As a matter of fact, I need only visit a bar twice a day, morning and afternoon! My water and lime stays icy cold for hours, so for those of you who want to spend your day running back and forth to the bar-fill your boots, I will fill Bubba and park my _ss in a lounger!

Long Live the “Bubba” ;D

“I’m a Bubba, she’s a Bubba, wouldn’t you like to be a Bubba too” :stuck_out_tongue: ;D :wink:

Jake, eh

My lovely wife has commented on the BUBBA mugs and now as a great supporter of the MUG so will I. On our first trip to Mexico I purchased a 2 liter Tim Hortons bubba style mug at the airport (as a joke). The first time I took it to the bar the bartender lhao he thought it was hilarious. From that time on I have used a BUBBA and have never had any problems getting it filled. As a matter of fact a friend of mine in Indiana saw it last year and his first purchase when he arrived home was a BUBBA. Behave with them and no one has any problem.