Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Barlovento

Hi,
Thinking of planning another trip to Cuba in February. This year we stayed at Sunbeach, and we are wondering what people think of the Barlovento. We are three, including an 11 year old. Beach most important…then hotel cleanliness and evening shows?? I’d appreciate any comments,
Thanks

We were there in March 2006. It’s the only resort in Cuba we’ve been to, as we are DR regulars.

We loved it. The evening shows were run-of-the-mill for AI’s, but they did have one thing we hadn’t seen before, which was a water ballet in the pool each week. The house band was awesome too.

The beach was fine, and the hotel very clean. The location, just at the beginning of the town, was great for getting out and walking around. There was a double-decker bus stop almost directly across the street too.

Tom

Thanks Tom; I appreciate your comments.
Lisa

Stayed at Barlovento in 2006 and really enjoyed it. We found the entertainment really good (water show really enjoyable). The beach is great and location is good too.
I actually left my purse with a hundred bucks in it at the 24 hour (don’t ask) and went to lobby next morning and low and behold there it was (staff were snickering ::slight_smile: ) I gave each reception worker ten bucks to express my gratitude and they didn’t even want to to take it (I insisted…) I have serious doubts that it would have still been there at most lobbies in most countries).
I see you’re interested in both Barlovento and Palma Real and I would rate them both pretty much the same. Barlovento lobby bar wasn’t as exciting at the Palma Real but that could just be the crowd that happened to be there at the time. Palma Real location to Calle 62 was an added bonus.
Loved the Barlovento bartenders! No worries on either place IMHO :slight_smile:

I keep hearing about this Calle 62; problem is we travel with our daughter who is 11 years old. I would take her for sure to this place but do you know if they allow kids? Obviously we wouldn’t be staying out there super late or anything like that; but I wouldn’t hesitate to take her there. Yes, it’s hard to make a hotel decision; lots of good reviews for both and a couple horrid ones as well. We ran into that alot last time when checking out Sunbeach; some good, some mostly just ok, some bad…We went anyway and had a wonderful time; it met our expectations and then some; as long as you keep an open mind. We did have to ask to switch rooms the first night; (bit of a mold issue!) but after that we had a lovely room, wonderful chambermaid and the rest of the staff was awesome with the exception of one crabby desk clerk; clearly a miserable man no matter what day it was! That you can run into anywhere and I’m of the belief that people, most people that is will treat you as you treat them!

Thanks for the info; hard to decide though!

It’s an open air bar with entertainment and everyone spills out onto the road. No problem taking kids; last year we spent alot of time watching the most beautiful little girl dancing with her sister or friend;what i would give to be able to dance like her.
I’ve been considering Sunbeach for this year. Can’t beat the price and with money saved I could tip more and go on more excursions. Would you ever choose to return there ?
With your way of thinking you’re gonna enjoy yourself wherever you go.

We were definately going to stay at Sunbeach again; but then I got to thinking maybe we should check other places out too. Still undecided. I can save a whack of cash by staying there; and like you say spend it on other things; but it might be nice to check other places out; then there is always next year right! This past Feb was our first winter vacation. We are hooked now! It gets so freakin cold in Winnipeg; that I was on the verge of snapping if I didn’t get to a beach; within 3 weeks of deciding we were boarding a plane! It was a great trip so Sunbeach really is a consideration!
Lisa

[quote=@torti]We were definately going to stay at Sunbeach again; but then I got to thinking maybe we should check other places out too. Still undecided. I can save a whack of cash by staying there; and like you say spend it on other things; but it might be nice to check other places out; then there is always next year right! This past Feb was our first winter vacation. We are hooked now! It gets so freakin cold in Winnipeg; that I was on the verge of snapping if I didn’t get to a beach; within 3 weeks of deciding we were boarding a plane! It was a great trip so Sunbeach really is a consideration!
Lisa
[/quote]

They don’t call it "Winter-peg’ for nothing! ;D

My first time there (on business) in 1985 (pre-internet) it was the end of November, beginning of December. It was about 4 degrees in Ottawa, and I was going to Winnpeg for 2 weeks. I almost didn’t bring my parka. I landed there to find knee-high snow, and minus 25.

I almost froze to death walking from the bus to a Jets game. We had to duck into Polo Park mall to survive. :stuck_out_tongue:

Tom

I know where the Palma Real is, where is the Barlovento?

I usually stay at Playa Caleta just up the road but I have tried others such as Arenas Blancas and Arenas Dorados. I also stayed at Barlovento two years ago because of it’s proximity to the highway and to town. Personally, I really disliked it. I was in a building quite a distance from the lobby, on the third floor with no elevators. Carrying stuff up and down the stairs bugged me but worse, there were huge rats. On three occasions in one week, I met three and they were all with me in the hallways at night. Ugh!! I found the staff unpleasant and the guests less friendly but maybe it was just a bad week. I always end up back at Playa Caleta which I still think is the best value for a 3-3.5 star.

Barlovento is close to highway, Jethro, before Sunbeach.
[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2091949280069650271lraHOW][/URL]
Wow, I sure never met with any rats; did you tell management about that, I’m generally pretty low key and easy to please but I consider rats a serious problem.

Staying there in February, three floors no elevator, Cuatro Palmas was the same, we are going because of location, love walking the streets of Varadero stopping at the cafes