Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Bed Bugs

Anyone had a problem with bed bugs? If so, which resort. Read about a family who used the blankets in the closet, put them on the floor, and their kids slept in sleeping bags that were on the blankets. The kids had bed bugs but no one else in the room did.
Don’t want to go there!!!

I wonder if it wasn’t something else that irritated the kids.

Bedbugs are not picky. If they were in the closet, they would be everywhere. The are very prolific.

it might of just been sand fleas? I find some people are more prone to getting bit by them then others. I myself have gotten bitten before and my hubby never has, i get really huge welts.
which resort did you read that about?

First of all which resort are you talking about as if we knew that then members might be able to give their experiences there with bed bugs? I have never seen or felt any but have seen small little ants in the room that was brought in by the maid who put flowers in the room.

i don’t thinks that’s been bed bugs, because then they would’ve been in the whole room and not just with the kiddies.
i don’t understand why those folks spent their vacations sleeping on the bathroom’s floor instead of complaining abut whatever to get the prob resolved/room changed aso.
sandflees can be the reason, yes, of course hard to diagnose by mail, he he, but it would be typical to get bothered by the sandflee bites after taking a shower, that can drive you crazy all night long and it could be the reason why just the kids been effected and not everybody in the room.
did yo see some bugs or so?
have fun
Mike

What are parents doing making there children sleep on the floor in the first place. That is a horible thing to do to your children. Did they not read into the fact that there in a tropical place and there are many difrent critters on the island that could easely croll under the hotel room door and couse a problem especaily for a child. I have read many reviews of difrent resorts that have had rooms flooded and floors coverd in water. Who knows what ilnes the children could have picked up if that happend. I may just be apinionated but to me thats not fair to a child. If I had no choice but to sleep on the floor in a freinds room thats one thing but I am an adult and I sure would not make or even let my children sleep on the floor of a hotel room. Who knows how clean the water is that the maids wash the floor with any how. Mabey its just me but IMHO I think thats very very wrong.

I would like to know which resort they went to that did not have enough beds for everyone and the children had to sleep on the floor…I can’t see them being allow to book a room in a resort if they have over number of people for the room…

[quote author=lin7604 board=general thread=1197604965 post=1197644570]it might of just been sand fleas? I find some people are more prone to getting bit by them then others. I myself have gotten bitten before and my hubby never has, i get really huge welts.
which resort did you read that about?[/quote]
I’m not sure. My spouse read it in the paper and it was basically to warn travellers to beware. I have heard about this being a problem at resorts/hotels at all kinds of destinations.

Sounds like you answered your own question. I did a search on the entire site for the last year and there was only one hotel mentioned with a bed bug complaint. Even at that one, others reported no problems. If you stay at any of the popular well recommended resorts your chances of encountering problems are very low. Al

Sounds “Iffy” to me too. All the resorts I know of have specific room accommodations and wouldn’t allow for kids sleeping on the floor. Maybe an urban myth in the works??? If anything, it may be as suggested, a run in with sand fleas that, although have never hit me, did nip at my wife this year around her ankles, even though our loungers were not more than 2 feet apart (guess they don’t like rum infused blood :smiley: :smiley: :D)

What struck me as VERY odd was the fact the children had sleeping bags… anyone here take sleeping bags to the Dominician Republic??? Not anyone I’ve ever heard about. Luggage allowances being what they are, no room for that kind of stuff.

First thought - urban myth - how in the heck do these things get started and, what kind of paper would print this??? Obviously the reporter didn’t do any checking into the story. JMHO

We’ve been to POP 6 times and have never encountered anything like that.

IMHO I think that some resorts have people write bad reviews about there compatition resorts to scare people away from them. I am not saying I have proof of this but resorts are big buisnes and like in politics some people will lie to make money.

[quote author=dot board=general thread=1197604965 post=1197658809]What struck me as VERY odd was the fact the children had sleeping bags… anyone here take sleeping bags to the Dominician Republic??? Not anyone I’ve ever heard about. Luggage allowances being what they are, no room for that kind of stuff.

First thought - urban myth - how in the heck do these things get started and, what kind of paper would print this??? Obviously the reporter didn’t do any checking into the story. JMHO

We’ve been to POP 6 times and have never encountered anything like that.[/quote]

What you mean you dont take your sleeping bag and parka with you? lol

I will admit that in nov 05 I was at oasis hamaca and woke up one morning with 2 isect bites on my neck. I am not sure if they were bed bugs or not but they were very very ichy. I was in a ground floor room and may I sujest that people aviod them if posible. At least in the garden section of the oasis hamaca. I woke up to many very large crickets singing in my room at all hours of the night. And when I flew back to pearson in costoms the agent pionted out 3 cock roaches in my suit case. But I ahve been on return flights and seen airport personell loading boxes of fruit in with peoples lugage. So the roaches could have gotten in on the plain. Oh well at least I dident see them until I was home and not the first day of my holiday.

not only that the poster did not mention a specific resort’s name, there’s not even a destination mentioned, so are we talking about Punta Cana, Pop, Boca Chica, are we talking about the Dominican republic or may that be some kind of rumor about maybe bed bugs in south africa???
what paper published that news???, papers are online today, so we could take a look and see if there’s a thing worth to discuss.
very suspicious thread.
Mike

Bet you don’t believe in Santa either ;D

Well, I just returned from BP San Juan (tonight actually . . . just catching up on what happened in DR while I was there LOL). Anyhow, there are a lot of sand fleas. Some people were definitely more prone to the bites more than others. They were everywhere, including our room. We also had centipedes and a crab in our room. I can understand why sleeping on the floor might be an issue. We did not, however, have anything in our beds that we were aware of.

I already miss the island, fleas, crabs, geckos and all!

We were at the Fun Royal in Nov and our sunquest rep Guy did a great job of explaining the misconception of bed bugssand fleas and it made tons of sense (to me at least).

Many people hang out on the beach or volleyball pads and get sand all over them. Once finished some people don’t wash there feet off before returning to their rooms. This is where the trouble starts especially for kids that may go for an afternoon siesta in the bed. People wake up with bites and all of a sudden they think there’s bed bugs but in fact its poor attention to cleaning yourself after the sandy areas.

Guy noted that if you do get bitten the best thing to cure the bites is some good old Dominican ‘gasoline’. On the bites not in the belly ;D.

Hi First time poster long time listener.

When we first started going to Punta Cana we always noticed people with red lumps on their legs and assumed they were mosquito bites but found out they were from sand fleas.

We were told that to avoid them from getting into the bed was NOT TO PUT YOUR BEACH BAGS or anything else you had at the beach on the bed.
Hope this helps.

Camaro,
Your ticker seems to be ahead a day or 2 LOL…
Have a great time!
:slight_smile: