Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Best way to book resorts in Varadero directly

Has anyone booked resorts directly in Varadero? This could be from websites or direct email to the resort. We will be in the Varadero area in April and would like to know the best/inexpensive way to book resorts. We have a return flight booked and can change the date for a small fee but want to possibly book an extra week if we can. We are interested in Breezes Varadero or Breezes Jibacoa.

Even if you are buying hotel only, look into tour operators, it should be less expensive than booking directly with the resort. A good travel agent will do the legwork for you and contact tour operators.

you can try checking with the resort sometimes it can work out cheaper depending on the time of year but being April then you are better booking through the tour operators.
I checked online just for Hotel only just to get a idea and for Breezes Varadero it would cost approx $852 tax in per person and
Jibacoa is approx $917 tax in per person.Usually if you book a two week holiday the second week won’t cost as much as a week only price.

Take care,

Jackie

Here is the email for Breezes Varadero reservations@breezesvaradero.cyt.cu I would email them and ask for a quote, but as stated, it is probably cheaper getting a package for that time of year. Book as soon as you can as they may already be full.

I’ve been curious about this myself. Looking for last-minute deals online and with my travel agent, options are very limited. I’ve wondered what would happen if I just grabbed a flight down there and showed up at one of the hotels in Varadero. Can you get a room that way?

Perhaps this is a silly response to this thread… but I’m wondering if you can just show up and get an AI package.

We’ve looked around, too.
Best we got was the same as the tour operators.

However, we found some excellent deals when flying to Havana, then flying to Cayo Largo.

Or to Varadero but the hotel prices were pretty high for the better places. $30/night for the cheaper ones. Apartments in the budget section of town were … well, …cheap…

I guess part of what I was wondering was if there are rooms available if you just show up… when you can’t seem to book through conventional means.

[quote=@boldstar]I’ve been curious about this myself. Looking for last-minute deals online and with my travel agent, options are very limited. I’ve wondered what would happen if I just grabbed a flight down there and showed up at one of the hotels in Varadero. Can you get a room that way?

Perhaps this is a silly response to this thread… but I’m wondering if you can just show up and get an AI package.[/quote]

Yes you can show up and just pay on the spot for the hotel, but it is obviously subject to availabilty. If you are looking at a Sol Melia property, you can find daily rates on this site: www.solmeliacuba.com

I actually booked a hotel directly through the Sunquest website. There were options to search for flights, hotels, etc. It was quite cheap and did it this route for the 10 day stay we wanted as it gave us more options.

I recommend avoiding walk-ins at a Cuban hotel if price is a consideration. Hotels in Cuba do NOT give that kind of discounts or reduce rates to get your walk-in business. Booking through a foreign travel agent does get you a reduction below the rate posted in the hotel. I have compared the on-site rates (offered when I visited to ‘have a look’) to online rates for several hotels from the sites below. Online was cheaper every time.

I also got a quote from a Halifax travel agent for the same hotel and date, but it was higher than the online price from the second site below. I was only booking single nights, so perhaps it might have been different if I was booking a week …

I have used both of the websites below to book and pre-pay hotels in Varadero. Rates and available hotels seem to vary a bit between them. (Be sure to choose Cdn currency in your search options.)

Netssa
This first website is based in Canada and the process for payment was simpler. Using this one, right after I booked and provided on-line credit card payment (which always makes me jumpy) I got emailed a receipt/voucher. I simply present at the hotel desk, and it was very simple. They also sent me an email address for the hotel itself.
http://www.netssa.com/
Additional Toronto contact info: http://www.netssa.com/about_netssa.html

Vacacionartravel
This non-Canadian site below also has a good reputation, and worked well for me. It reportedly has a helpful office in Havana, which may be useful if a glitch ever occurs. I found the booking/payment process slower and more cumbersome than Netssa above. On the plus side, vacacionartravel was great about responding to emails and did follow-up after the trip to make sure we were satisfied. It also provided a voucher that was honored by the hotel, but I took a couple of days online to finalize the reservation and get the voucher. Last winter this site needed names and passport numbers for all of the room occupants, Netssa did not when I used it in November.
http://www.vacacionartravel.com/

Have fun!

We recently tried to do this to book Playa Alameda for Feb 20th. My sisters husband is in Cuba and we thought it would be cheaper to just book him the week at the resort without the flight. They called the resort in Cuba and were told it would be cheaper to book through a travel agent in Canada.
We did end up booking through a Canadian on-line travel agent and he paid the same price as we did but didn’t have the flight included. The only difference is that he didn’t have to pay the tax.