Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Booking strategy?

I paid way too much for my April trip by booking it so far in advance (and then didn’t even get to stay at the hotel of my choice)

I want to take my family in August if we can make it work. So far the cheapest option I can find is 10 days with Westjet at Kawama for $894/pp. Will this go down? Is August a popular travel month for Canadians? I booked early for April because I the price was starting to go UP, but it obviously dropped again as lots of people paid almost half of what I did.

Smile!
If you have your heart set on a particular place, then book when you are satisfied and don’t check again.
If, like me, you don’t care where you go wait until 2 days before and pick whatever is left. I usually travel solo so plans are flexible. I’m going somewhere next week. I will probably need to book 4 days in advance since I’m travelling on points this time.
Group travel is tougher because there might only be one room left at a resort on short notice.
The time of year makes a difference because a lot of resorts shut down for repairs and upgrades during the ‘slower times’. That limits the options available too.
Is that $894 plus or including taxes?

I did the same thing Desmei…I had booked a trip in April with friends from all over Canada, so kind had to book in advance. As a result, its the most expensive trip I booked in years.

I don’t regret it, but thats the chance when you book so far out in advance. Because I am not loyal to only one resort or chain, I am pretty easy going. As long as I can get a “deal” I am happy.

I have not travelled south during the summer so I really can’t advise either way on this one. That being said, for 10days, $894 I think is pretty good no matter when or from where. I don’t think prices drop much in July and August, startng sept they do obviously.

Did you check all the different travel sites, just in case some of them might still offer price protection perhaps?..just a thought.

$894 was with the taxes, so a lot cheaper than what I paid for 7 days in April. And at least with Westjet we wouldn’t have to upgrade to get a reasonable luggage allowance.

The price is the same on Tripcentral (can pay for vacation in two chunks) and on Westjet, who AFAIK does not offer any price drop protection.

If you’re looking at Westjet they actually kept increasing their prices right til the end. I booked Breezes Jibacoa with them in early March. We fly out tomorrow morning. When I paid in March they were roughly the same price as Sunwing and Hola Sun. As the weeks went by Westjet kept increasing their price so by Tuesday of this week, the same vacation for Westjet was $450 more per person than I paid. I also noticed that Sunwing increased their prices this past week for tomorrows departure . So much for last minute sell-offs.

Hm. Good to know!

$894 including taxes for 10 days in August / Varadero is great deal in my honest opinion. I always travel during summer time and sometimes you can’t find space to stay in the hotel. You are looking for specific hotel and place plus WestJet has nice airplanes/service and that price for 10 days is excellent. I am sure that you will not be able to find 7 days deal in August for that money in that specific hotel. Most people say in August lets go on vacation before school starts and many Europeans travel during summer time so you might not see that price in August.

It’s dropped a tiny bit, $884/pp. I guess I’ll book it as soon as Mr. Des’ vacation is approved. :slight_smile:

If you use a ScotiaBank Visa Gold Passport card you can use their travel agency on line or on the phone. You get the best on-line pricing less 5% cash back, insurances, and another 2% in points to use for the next purchase/or trip.
The $884 might end up costing you $830 and the trip interruption/health insurance will save you more if you usually have to buy them.
The other card that works wonders is a Passport Cash card from MPBN. 3% in cash, paid by cheque plus included insurance.
Booking any other way is “Pointless” LOL

[quote=@spunky]If you use a ScotiaBank Visa Gold Passport card you can use their travel agency on line or on the phone. You get the best on-line pricing less 5% cash back, insurances, and another 2% in points to use for the next purchase/or trip.
The $884 might end up costing you $830 and the trip interruption/health insurance will save you more if you usually have to buy them.
The other card that works wonders is a Passport Cash card from MPBN. 3% in cash, paid by cheque plus included insurance.
Booking any other way is “Pointless” LOL[/quote]

I think you should create new thread regarding ways to save on buying trips to Cuba so that all of us can say what tricks we do to save money :slight_smile:

Let’s get some input from members about what credit cards they use and what perks they get.
I get an on-line breakdown on Canadian Credit Cards, charges, fees, bonuses, cash-backs and perks that I can share, LOL

We have not done it but friends use Sears and go to Sandals every year. They use the card year round and the points they put toward the travel and the points from the trip goes toward their clothes for the trip…

I have a BMO Air Miles card that I use for big ticket purchases. :slight_smile: We’ve gotten three “free” airfares that way.