Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Breezes Jibacoa buffet theme nights?

Is there anyone who has been to BJ recently who knows what the buffet theme nights are now, and if El Ranchon is now an a la carte in the evenings?

I think I heard that seafood night is now on Wed., so we’re wondering which nights are Cuban and Mexican now. ???

Thanks for any info :slight_smile:

Hi C,
I think I heard somewhere that they are not doing a la carte dining at the new beach bar due to noise concerns for the ocean view rooms close by ???

Pretty silly if you ask me ::slight_smile: It’s not like people eat dinner at 11 at night, plus it’s the kind of ambience that would be appealing to couples for romantic dinners.

I really hope that what I heard is wrong, it would be sad to lose the opportunity to dine outdoors to the sound of the waves on the reef once again, it really was a lovely experience back when they still used to have El Ranchon as a seafood a la carte.

[quote=@karmadoc]Hi C,
I think I heard somewhere that they are not doing a la carte dining at the new beach bar due to noise concerns for the ocean view rooms close by ???

Pretty silly if you ask me ::slight_smile: It’s not like people eat dinner at 11 at night, plus it’s the kind of ambience that would be appealing to couples for romantic dinners.

I really hope that what I heard is wrong, it would be sad to lose the opportunity to dine outdoors to the sound of the waves on the reef once again, it really was a lovely experience back when they still used to have El Ranchon as a seafood a la carte.[/quote]

When we first visited Breezes eons ago, they did use the beach bar in the evening as the venue for a seafood a la carte. I’m sure you remember that too karmadoc. Waaay back in 2000 & 2001!

The issue is perhaps not so much with noise disturbing the oceanview rooms but rather the logistics of an a la carte restaurant at the beach bar, especially during certain times of the year when it’s windy or raining in the evening. Where would you set up an alternate location in case of inclement weather?- or do you just cancel guests’ a la carte dinner reservations on very short notice?

I think that Breezes management is being wise not to offer a third a la carte restaurant at the beach bar in the evening. At least that way, they won’t run the risk of guest diappointment= complaints=negative reviews. We all know how much people complain when something they thought they were supposed to get as part of the all-inclusive package doesn’t materialize :-X

Seafood night was on Wednesday (and it was a gong show!!!)

If I recall, and don’t quote me on it, the themed nights went something like this:

Saturday: ??
Sunday: Asian (everything saturated with soy sauce!)
Monday: Mexican (tacos)
Tuesday: Cuban (maybe?)
Wednesday: Seafood
Thursday: Cuban (if I was wrong about it being on Tuesday!)
Friday: our day of arrival (got there at 9PM for a quick bite) & departure (left the resort mid afternoon)

I would agree with the risk of a beachside a la carte, except that we went to one at Playa Pesquero, very similar to El Ranchon, and the night we went was a bit rainy and windy, but it was still lovely to be by the sea for dinner. They had heavy curtains that could be moved around to block the angle of the wind and rain. If only the upstairs of El Ranchon were used in the evening, it would probably be quite well protected from all but the most extreme weather.

I think, too, that reasonable guests would not criticize the resort for cancellations due to weather - all sorts of other activities are curtailed by weather, but I’ve never heard anyone blame the resort - on the contrary, I’ve heard nothing but praise for the way the staff managed during a severe storm on our last visit.

Yep, I remember it well, and the Wednesday evenings when they used to set the whole buffet line up out by the pool for Cuban night, it was lovely eating under the stars…but all weather dependent :-/
I think they also used to tell you that your El Ranchon a la carte reservation was weather permitting…

I would just love to see them bring it back as an a la carte, so will have to lobby hard when we go in April ;D

I think Monteverde is right, with the new beach bar the upper level would be pretty protected from most inclement weather.

I also think you’re right YVRck, some people will undoubtedly complain about the weather effecting their vacation in a negative way, they already do ::slight_smile:
I guess they haven’t figured out yet that the hotel can’t control the weather, :-/ and I don’t know about anyone else, but as soon as I read a negative review of a hotel due to weather related issues I completely discount it :wink:

The upper level of the beach bar could be protected from the elements with wind/rain curtains but seating would be very limited. Not sure what maximum seating capacity would make an a la carte at the Rancheron viable?

Another issue would be the furnishings (tables & chairs). Right now these are white plastic- very practical for people using the facility at lunchtime when coming straight from the beach and in wet beachwear. For an a la carte atmosphere, the white plastic chairs don’t cut it, especially if they aren’t cleaned of sand. I can already hear some guest complaining about the sand soiling her dress :wink: Nice chair cushions could remedy this, and table clothes would disguise the plastic tables. A completely different and separate set of furniture would be ideal, but where to store it during the day?

Definitely worth lobbying for but as I said in my most recent review, lots has changed at Breezes Jibacoa over the years. No more unlimited scuba diving, no more Cuban Night dinners set up on the pool deck… sigh!

I have to agree that it would make a great ala carte location. As for noise, I don’t think this should be an issue. Rooms circling the pool have to put up with the sound of the evening show and I don’t think an ala carte could create that level of noise ;D and it would have a cut off point, just like the show.
We’ve eaten on restaurant patios, in Vancouver, and they used the curtains mentioned by Monteverde. Where there’s a will, there’s a way and YVRck’s comments about seat cushions and table cloths resolve the issue of seating/decor problems. It’s not likely to happen this season but, if BJ regulars start making this suggestion to the resort management, perhaps they will seriously consider making it an ala carte.

[quote=@yvrck][quote=@monteverde]

I think I heard that seafood night is now on Wed., so we’re wondering which nights are Cuban and Mexican now. ???

[/quote]

Seafood night was on Wednesday (and it was a gong show!!!)

If I recall, and don’t quote me on it, the themed nights went something like this:

Saturday: ??
Sunday: Asian (everything saturated with soy sauce!)
Monday: Mexican (tacos)
Tuesday: Cuban (maybe?)
Wednesday: Seafood
Thursday: Cuban (if I was wrong about it being on Tuesday!)
Friday: our day of arrival (got there at 9PM for a quick bite) & departure (left the resort mid afternoon)[/quote]

I’ve just had confirmation that Monday is Mexico night and Tuesday is Cuba night.

I think Friday is called international night with the spectacular dessert table.

What time is the buffet open until? We arrive at the airport at 6:45 pm, and were wondering if the buffet would still be open when we got there. Also what is the dress code? Thanks.

I don’t remeber for sure, but I think the buffet closes around 9:30, so depending on how long it takes you to get through the airport, etc., you might make it in time. However, if you don’t make it, they do put out hot and cold snacks outside the buffet around 10:30 - 11:00 (little pizzas, grilled sandwiches, etc), and there is a fridge beside the lobby bar which always has fruit plates and pastries, so you won’t have to starve until the next morning.

The buffet dress code is fairly casual - you can wear shorts and tank tops and sandals if you want to, but most people tend to dress a little more nicely for the evening meal.

The a la cartes require long pants, collared shirts and closed shoes for men, with equivalent dress for women, but I have certainly seen the rules being broken, although the usual attire at Martino’s is fairly dressy.

The buffet is open until 9:30PM. They do try to discourage guests from wandering in after about 9:15PM to start their meal.

If your plane IS on time landing at 6:45PM, figure a minimum of one hour to get through immigration/customs/collect luggage and get people onto the bus going to the resort. If the bus leaves within one hour of landing, then you were very lucky indeed!!!

Our last trip in Dec. it took almost two hours from landing until the bus finally left the airport. Darned those stragglers! :stuck_out_tongue: :-X Bus ride to the Breezes resort from Varadero airport is about 50 minutes.

How long check-in will take depends on how many people are going to the resort, how quickly you can get yourself to the front desk and how long it takes you to fill in the registration paperwork. Then figure more time to either find your room on your own (map is on the back of the check-in envelope) or wait for the bell hop to take you and your luggage to your room.

Our flight arrived in Varadero 90 minutes early than your flight does and we made it to the dinner buffet at 9:10PM still wearing our travel clothes after a quick freshen-up stop and finding our room ourselves. I highly recommend you bring along a few munchies for the first night. Best to prepare yourselves in advance for a closed buffet, grab some snacks from the fridge next to the lobby bar, enjoy a drink in the lobby and unwind from the trip once you arrive at the resort.

Enjoy!

I can confirm that the buffet themes were as follows during our recent trip :

Monday - Mexican
Tuesday - Cuban
Wednesday - Seafood
Thursday - Jamaican
Friday - Gala/International
Saturday - Oriental
Sunday - Italian (i think!)

[quote=@amandaj]I can confirm that the buffet themes were as follows during our recent trip :

Thursday - Jamaican
[/quote]

Alright! That means Chef Orville has found a reliable supply of Jerk Seasoning!

When we talked to him in February and asked what happened to Jamaican night he said they were having problems getting jerk seasoning and that they would not be having Jamaican night until he had resolved the problem ;D

I think he was back home in Jamaica for some time in August so maybe he brought back his luggage allowance worth of weight in Jerk Seasoning ;D

That’s wonderful news about the return of Jamaican night - yesssss

They didn’t decorate the buffet with the different themes like they normally do, probably because there were Christmas decorations everywhere. We did see a Jamaican flag draped from one of the counters on the Thursday night though. In previous visits nothing has been particularly spicy, so I thought the ‘spicy pork’ would be safe enough - OMG was it hot!! :o It would probably be ok for most people, but I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to spicy food! ;D

We became addicted to jerk pork (and chicken) at my duaghter’s wedding in Jamaica. The test will be to see if it’s hotter in Jibacoa than in Negril!