Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Bribing for better room at Barcelo Dom Beach

Just wondering if you give the check-in people extra money, will they give you a better room/building? I would like to try, but I don’t want to waste money or insult them. Which building should we request at the Barcelo Dominican Beach? Thank you!!!

Bribe is such a nasty word :slight_smile: It may work and it may not…also it may insult and it may not but the big thing I would say is IF the employee was caught by the right supervisor, it could mean their job…

Just my dos pesos

EDinNB

Also, why should you get an upgrade for a fraction of the cost? If you just want the same room category but in a specific location, sure, shake their hand with some $$ discreetly in it, and smile and be very polite in your request.

Nothing against the origional poster.

And…I was just getting used to the idea that governments could be discreetly biased by a little ‘pork’ money.

Get the room you paid for and enjoy it. If you don’t like it… DON"T GO BACK! Most people go to the D.R. because it is cheap. If ya don’t want cheap…PAY THE BIG BUCK and go elsewhere.

Tip big for better service…BAH! You will get great service whether you tip or not. Bribe to get better room… ever think of politely asking? If you want your towels folded into little ‘duckies’ tip big! Roll up some cash with a handshake and a smile… NO!!! Try a handshake and some gratitude for a job well done.

If you want better service or better treatment, try something most tourists don’t even think of… SHOW RESPECT!

I expect this post to have a life of about 20 minutes, simply because it is not what was wanted.

[quote=@jahaira]Nothing against the origional poster.

And…I was just getting used to the idea that governments could be discreetly biased by a little ‘pork’ money.

Get the room you paid for and enjoy it. If you don’t like it… DON"T GO BACK! Most people go to the D.R. because it is cheap. If ya don’t want cheap…PAY THE BIG BUCK and go elsewhere.

Tip big for better service…BAH! You will get great service whether you tip or not. Bribe to get better room… ever think of politely asking? If you want your towels folded into little ‘duckies’ tip big! Roll up some cash with a handshake and a smile… NO!!! Try a handshake and some gratitude for a job well done.

If you want better service or better treatment, try something most tourists don’t even think of… SHOW RESPECT!

I expect this post to have a life of about 20 minutes, simply because it is not what was wanted.[/quote]

Well put…free up grades are sometimes given to repeat guests as a thank you for coming back

free upgrade for a returning guest…no prob. IF it is available and does not bump someone who paid for that designation to a lower room designation. Bribe?? No. If you want it PAY FOR IT…like everyone else had to.

I for one …as a four time a year visitor am SICK to death of people expecting more than they pay for…and then treating staff like garbage when they do not get the upgrade that they DID NOT PAY FOR!!

If you MUST have it PAY for it. simple.

I will tell all with no hesitation that one of the closest people in the whole world to me is PC Mike. He is family. He has stayed in our home. When we went to edenh…he picked our room which was great…but on MY insistance it was within the catagory we PAID for.

Lynn

Do note though the poster isn’t actually asking for the deluxe suite when he is paying for a basic room… he might only mean if he slips the the guy 10 bucks can he request a room with a pool view rather than a room over looking the garbage dumpster

not a problem if he is looking for a specific request within his room class that he paid for…Go for it in that case…whats the worst that can happen? a NO?

I expect this post to have a life of about 20 minutes, simply because it is not what was wanted.[/quote]

Soooo very true. Gets overlooked much too often, show respect, smile and respect, and don’t think your ‘entitled’ to everything cause your the visitor, manners go along way, lots have forgotten that and It sucks to see the fat wallets come out and money start flying to make up for the rudeness. A please and thank-you still goes along way.

Wow guys! What answers! Thank you Jimmy, that is what I was intending. I read that “building 98” is bad and “building 5” was good, (some have been refurbished and some not?), so I really wanted to get one of the newer rooms.

hdgal - please don’t be offended by the responses… when someone uses the word “bribe” and then “give you a better room”, it usually means getting something they are not “entitled” to. If you are looking for a specific building in the same room category that you booked and paid for, I wouldn’t consider that using a bribe… JMHO

Who knows, by the time you get there and they hand you your room assignment, you might just love it even if it isn’t one that someone else recommended.

We are repeat guests at the Gran Ventana… we had always stayed in the same room in the Saona Bldg and loved it. We would always e-mail before going and request that particular room (adding, “or something similar”). A few years ago, we arrived and were given a room in the Catalina Bldg. When the reservation man noticed the look of surprise on my face, he said “that wing of the Saona is being refurbished but I think you will like this one even better”… guess what, he was right and now, we always ask for that one or similar…

Once again, jahaira and I agree 100%
All of this “tipping” and “bribing” is the downfall of the best part of the DR and that is the sincerity of the Dominican people, from the lowest on the totem pole to the highest manager of managers . DOMINICANS ARE SINCERE PEOPLE SHOW THEM THE RESPECT THEY DESERVE !! they will do the same for you.
ggparts

hdgal, I sent you a private message, with information regarding the Barcelo Dominican Beach.

hdgal…sorry if my response offended you. I honestly thought you were looking to “bribe” which to me means you were wanting more than you paid for.

again my appologies

Lynn