Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Bring Home The Rum To Canada

Does anyone know what happens when you buy your rum at the marcado or at the resort to bring home…Is it allowed in your carry on or does it have to go into the suitcase? Again this is on our way back to Canada.

Only 2 more sleeps woo hoo.

Rod :sunglasses: y Rachel :sunglasses:

It has to go into your regular baggage. It is classed as a flammable liquid, and may not be carried in your carry on baggage. This was even before the increased security measures in place now.

We regularly bring back rum, and have never had a problem with breakage. We just wrap each bottle in a good quality towel or mixed in with dirty clothing.

Hope this helps

When I came home from POP in March I bought 2 of those 1750ml jugs of Barcelo in my carry-on baggage. If I had to, I would have packed them in my checked baggage. I take sheets of bubble paper with me just in case and I wrap the rum in them. I have carted wine home from Toronto the same way and I have never had anything break on me. I think it is funny that after you go through the check in process where they weigh your bags and security they were selling rum all over the place in the duty free shops and that doesn’t count in your overall baggage allowance.

The rum definitely has to go in your suitcase.
When i came back in May i took home a total of 13 liters Brugal, mmmm i love the stuff.
And not one of my bottles broke ;D ;D ;D

I know i can only take 1 liter pp, but here in The Netherlands i have to pay 25 Euros per Liter, so i was willing to take the risk that they would take it of me when i would be checked.

hi i am hopeing to bring some rum home too we go this weekend to punta cana. is BRUGAL as particular brand of rum? if so, and you say it is good, i will look out for it,

Hi suefromsomerset,

Yep Brugal is a brand, they say its the best Dominican rum.
I think its the best in the World ;D
But other good ones are Barcelo and Bermudez, i prefer Brugal.
There are different types, i wil give them to you.

The ones i like for a cuba libre is Anejo and Extra Viejo
For a pure drink Siglo d Oro.
The Unico is to expensive.

Brugal Blanco
Mellow and clear, the purest among white rums produced in the Dominican Republic.

Brugal Carta Dorada (3 years old)
Pioneer of gold rums and famous for its proven quality.

Brugal Añejo ( 5 years old)
A rum that no other Dominican rum company has been able to imitate, highly prized by both consumers and connoiseurs.

Brugal Extra Viejo (8 years old)
Rated internationally as the best aged rum in the world. A rare liquor, it is ideal for connoisseurs who expect the utmost quality.

Brugal Siglo de Oro[/color] (12 years old)
Brugal Ron Siglo De Oro is truly one of the marvels of the spirit world. As one of the rarest rums, almost not available at all outside the Latin world, it stands as a truly ultra-premium spirit. Recommended for those times when relaxation is a must.

Brugal Unico (30 years old)
Brugal Unico is the flagship of Brugal rums. Partly blended with 100 year old reserves, “The One” is the ultimate summit for aficionados.

Brugal 151
75.5 % very strong but nice in a cocktail.

If you feel like looking at Brugals site here is the link:
http://www.brugal.nl/

Enjoy yourself ;D ;D ;D

Thankyou constant for this info i am going to print this out and take with me, really looking forward to sampling the rum cocktails ect, thanks again… sue

I drink Brugal Extra Viejo while in the DR and, it is the only one I buy to bring home… LOVE it! The bartenders at the hotel we go to keep small bottles under the counter for those who specify… Otherwise, on the bar is the 151 and Carta Dorada.

There is one LCBO in Sarnia which carries the Carta Dorada (under the name “Gold Label Rum”) and I can really tell the difference when I run out of my Extra Viejo stash!

I have always brought alcohol on the plane. I don’t know the maximum allowed for carry-on though. Duty free sells liquor and it is after you checkin your luggage. They sell duty free liquor bottles on airplanes. My husband and i always bring our rum allowance in our carry-on. We stuff the extra that were smuggling in our suitcases ; ) shhhhh.

I forgot to mention that this was obviously BEFORE the ban on liquids.

Please do not buy your Rum or other liquor at the duty free.
For the price you pay there you can buy 3 or 4 in a Colmado (supermarket)

Way cheaper than any colmados i’ve visited is the rum (brugal)at la sirena stores. But most people don’t get a chance to visit many colmados that aren’t geared towards tourists with inflated prices.

I am thinking of bring back some extra rum on my upcoming trip. Anyone have experience in what Canadian customs will charge in duties for a couple extra bottles? The FAQ section gave me a “broken link,” and I honestly would prefer an answer from someone who has done so. My last trip back, I declared 2L of alchohol (Canadians are allowed 1. something) and I didn’t have to pay, but I’d like to bring back even more this time to donate to the next fiesta for the auction.

OK, we’ve brought back as much as a case (12 x 750 ml), but that was in the good old days when the airline didn’t look too closely at your luggage weight … Those glass turkeys are pretty heavy.
Bear in mind that this all depends on the inspector. They will generally allow you 2 bottles each ( 4 total), so even though this is slightly over the limit, you’ll be OK. We have found that 6 bottles seems to be the magic limit. It doesn’t seem to be worth their while to charge for the extra 2 bottles. Any more than that and you can expect to pay about $9-$10 per bottle (duty, PST and GST). I think your real limit is going to be your luggage weight. The overweight charge is $10/kg now …

I am thinking of bring back some extra rum on my upcoming trip. Anyone have experience in what Canadian customs will charge in duties for a couple extra bottles? The FAQ section gave me a “broken link,” and I honestly would prefer an answer from someone who has done so. My last trip back, I declared 2L of alchohol (Canadians are allowed 1. something) and I didn’t have to pay, but I’d like to bring back even more this time to donate to the next fiesta for the auction.[/quote]
It’s a crap shoot. I always declare all my rum (usually between 8 and 12 L. for the two of us) and about half the time I pay some duty and about half the time they just wave me through. The last time (Sept. 23) I was alone and declared 8.75 L and paid nothing.

FWIW the allowance is 1.14 L. (leave it to Canada to allow a unit of measure which is not available anywhere other than in Canada).

Gregg

Thanks a lot. Guess I’ll risk 4 or 5 bottles with the expectation that I may have to pay. Funny that the duties/taxes are more than the actual Rum… haha

The catch is to declare it. Then the worst they can do is charge you duty.

If you don’t declare it and get caught they can confiscate it and potentially charge you with smuggling (remote possibility but not zero).

Gregg

I certainly wouldn’t even think of trying to smuggle it in. My job has required me to get into some fairly secure locations requiring a lot of paperwork and various other enhanced background checks, and I couldn’t risk losing access with a criminal conviction. Simply not worth the risk. Only risk I’ll accept is the possibility I’ll have to pay duties.

Gregg

Thanks everybody for the tips

Update on the Rum

We were more worried about the extra weight in our luggage than bringing too much Rum home.

We came home with 2 - 1 litre bottles of Brugal Extra Viejo , we had also received 2 small bottles of Brugal as gifts. We bought our 3 boys each a small bottle of already mixed 500ml Mama-juana.

We had packed all of this in our checked luggage. When we arrived at the check in at the Airport - Rachel was 5 KG overweight and I was 1 KG overweight, nothing was ever said, the gentlemen serving us never even blinked :wink: - lol.

It worked out great just like the rest of the vacation 8-).

Rod Y Rachel