Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Bring rum home

I PLAN ON BRINGING RUM HOME. WHERE DO WE PACK IT COMING HOME? IN OUR LUGGAGE OR IN OUR CARRY ON? IT SEEMS TO BE DIFFERENT DEPENDING ON THE PLACE YOU ARE FLYING FROM. IN MEXICO IT HAD TO BE IN YOUR CARRY ON. IN CANADA IT HAS TO BE IN YOUR LUGGAGE.

The policy is no liquids/gels, etc in your carry on leaving the Dominican. So any Rum you bring home has to be in your luggage - unless bought in the Duty Free area.

any liquids purchased before the duty free at the airport have to be in your packed luggage. Liquor bought at the duty free can go in your carry on.
Yes, you will save money buying your booze downtown, but if your luggage is over weight, you will be paying $20 u.s a kilo for being over. So have you really saved any money? ::slight_smile:

LOL - we had about 6.8 L of Brugal Extra Viejo & Presidente in our checked baggage when we left Puerto Plata. We had weighed the bags before leaving the hotel and I thought we might be 1 KG over. On check-in, we were actually 1 KG below…

Before going, I made sure anything coming back was packed first and kept under our allowance. Then, I made up the difference with things I was giving to friends and charity… worked out perfectly and, we were there 3 weeks.

I much preferred the old Canada customs forms where they asked you to list the quantities of alcohol and cigarettes you were carrying. You could list the quantitities and let them determine if they were going to nail you for extra duties. Now all they is “Are you over your exemption limit?” And since the limit is still 1.14 litres (where they came up with that number escapes me) and if you have two 750 ml bottles, then to avoid telling a lie, you have to say yes …

Come on Bob, I know you’re old enough to remember when a big bottle of liquor was a “40”.

A “40” was 40 Imperial Ounces which when converted to liters is 1.13651 liters which was rounded to 1.14 L.

As usual the Canadian government, in one fell swipe of the pen:
a) failed to convert to metrics.
and
b) selected a size (1.14 L.) is not manufactured anywhere in the world (AFAIK) except in Canada, and of course you can’t import from Canada to Canada.

Just one more Canadian government snafu.

Gregg

Come on Bob, I know you’re old enough to remember when a big bottle of liquor was a “40”.

A "40" was 40 Imperial Ounces which when converted to liters is 1.13651 liters which was rounded to 1.14 L.

As usual the Canadian government, in one fell swipe of the pen:
a) failed to convert to metrics.
and
b) selected a size (1.14 L.) is not manufactured anywhere in the world (AFAIK) except in Canada, and of course you can’t import from Canada to Canada.

Just one more Canadian government snafu.

Gregg[/quote]
Right. I used an on-line converter the last time, and the results are obviously suspect. The one I used this time gave those numbers …

edit: the converter I was using gave 40 fl oz(US) = 1.18294 L

The old rule from Cuba was to bring home 2-25oz as your personal declared, because 40oz isn’t a size that’s used in that country. No problem, ever, with customs.

Might be just me, but, it sounds like CRA is just trying to smooth the excise thing.
We don’t make Cane Rum here, do we?

“Are you over your exemption limit” says it all. The answer is … No!

On the new form, we answered “Yes” and wrote in the little space how much rum and how much beer… even with a total of almost 7 liters, we were not pulled in and did not have to pay.

That’s the way to do it. No way they can accuse you of smuggling. Tell them and let them make the call …

How many different types or names of Rum is there? Which is the best? Thanks JJ

You’ll get lots of different answers. See http://debsdrtravels.proboards47.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=PC&thread=9739&page=1

Which rum is “BEST” is subjective to personal taste.
Brugal site lists: Carta Dorada…Ron Blanco…,Ron Blanco 151…
Anejo…Extra Viejo…Siglo de Oro…Licor Unico & Limon
Haven’t personally tasted them all but my choice (and many converts) of nectar of the Gods is “Extra Viejo” I have heard of a Crema type which is highly favoured. (not sure of name & no mention on site) Trial & error may be best way to select. Enjoy…
(hiccup)

For a thread on another board I compiled this list, which may not be totally comprehensive but is close:

For another thread in tanother forum I compiled a list of DR Rum Distillers.

Brugal
Brugal & Co.
Puerto Plata, RD
www.brugal.com.do
Populist Dominican style Rum.

Barcelo (now DuBar)
DuBar & Compania
San Pedro de Macoris, RD

Bermudez

J. Armando Bermúdez & Co., C. por A.
Santiago, RD
www.ronbermudez.com
Cuban style rum.

Siboney
Bodegas Cochón-Calvo, S.A.
Santo Domingo, RD

Matusalem
Matusalem & Company
Originally Santiago de Cuba, CU; then USA; now Santiago, RD
www.matusalem.com
Cuban style rum.

Macorix
Pedro Justo Carrion & Co.; owned by Brugal & Co.
San Pedro de Marcoris, RD

Cubaney
Oliver & Oliver
Originally Cuba; now RD
Cuban style rum.

Don Rhon
Vinicola del Norte
Santo Domingo/Puerto Plata, RD
www.vinicola.com.do
Product unknown.

If there are errors I apologize.

As far as which is best - try them - but not all in the same evening - LOL.

Gregg