Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Bringing Humanitarian aid into Cuba

Hola
In the past i have brought Humanitarian aid to the DR on 2 occasions. I took down laptops computers, sporting goods, medical supplies etc etc.
Can this be done in Cuba or it is impossible to do because of the goverment and its policies?

Can someone please let me know as I would love to help the people of Cuba just as the people of the Dominican republic.

Hawkowls ;D

You can bring it down, but find out what your weight allowance is. Usually you can bring 20 kgs in a suitcase and 5 kgs in carryon. Sunwing has Elite Plus for 40 dollars so you could bring another 10 kg on top of that. One is allowed to bring 10 kg of medical aid (over the counter meds like Advil, Bengay rub, etc), and lots of people support Not Just Tourists if there is one in your city. there is an NJT thread permanently on the Cuba thread.

Hi
Im not worried about the weight as i worked with Sunwing on my last project and I am aware of wat I can bring. Its the Cuban customs that Im worried about . What will they allow what will they refuse as I would rather know before I leave not to get into trouble. Does anyone know a contact name that lives in Cuba and helps to get aide into the country?

Hawkowls

Unless you are bringing a great deal of stuff, just say it is for your own personal use and you should have no problem. (e.g. more than one laptop might raise eyebrows)

If you are interested in Medical Supplies you can check out the Not Just Tourist’s as well if you are in Canada.

I was last at Antonio Maceo airport in November and they were very glad to receive items - and in fact, Customs did not even look at my two bags of medications. Post hurricane, they were not being too picky. Everything is xrayed before they let you pickit up, and there will be a chalk mark on your bag if they want secondary inspection. The simplest answer is to say it is for “uso personal”/personal use. Might be a little odd if you have a case of Tampax and you are male, but hey, tourists are weird. :slight_smile:

I have brought Not Just Tourist bags on several trips. Never had a problem. This was at Santiago airport.

[quote=@frenchgirl]I have brought Not Just Tourist bags on several trips. Never had a problem. This was at Santiago airport.[/quote]I’ve brought them to both Santiago and Holguin…they never looked at them either place. :smiley:

I brought NJT bags to Cayo Coco, not even a second look, this year I’m bringing one to Santa Clara

I just filled out a request for one to take to Cayo Largo. I hope there’s somewhere on the island that we can drop it off, as it is kind of remote, and we don’t want it to be a waste!

It will not be a waste, I have heard of at least one other person bringing an NJT bag to CL. While you will probably drop it off at the clinic in the village, it will most likely be brought to Isla de la Juventud, which was very hard-hit by hurricane Gustav last Fall. It will cost you, at most, 10 CUC for the return trip by cab.

It will not be a waste, I have heard of at least one other person bringing an NJT bag to CL. While you will probably drop it off at the clinic in the village, it will most likely be brought to Isla de la Juventud, which was very hard-hit by hurricane Gustav last Fall. It will cost you, at most, 10 CUC for the return trip by cab.[/quote]

and 10 CUC’s well spent

We just took two NJT suitcases to CL Jan 2/09. They did not even look at one bag but the second one they held up then had me open it for them at a table in the arrivals lounge. The customs officer just looked through everything making sure there were no narcotics. I had copied the letter from NJT and put it in the suitcase on top. He was very polite about everything and was in no way intimidating at all.

Our Nolitours rep later told us that if we had notified the Clinica ahead of time that we would be bringing the medical suppies, they would have let Customs know to expect it and we would have sailed through. If you check out Caylo Largo’s website at “http://www.cayolargodelsur.cu” , click on the British flag to see the site in English, then click on “Medical Services” in the menu on the left and you can see pictures of the Clininca and their email address is there too.

Our rep also mentioned that the doctor at our hotel (Barcelo) was from the Clinica too and we could give the cases to her if we didn’t want to lug them into the village but we did take the taxi as we wanted to wander around. The taxi is $2 CUC per person or the buses run back and forth all day long and will take you for $2 CUC pp as well (we took the bus back & it was a lot more comfortable than the taxi ride!).

It goes along with the gross of condoms. Ready for anything!
I believe in helping everyone.

[quote=@moxie]We just took two NJT suitcases to CL Jan 2/09. They did not even look at one bag but the second one they held up then had me open it for them at a table in the arrivals lounge. The customs officer just looked through everything making sure there were no narcotics. I had copied the letter from NJT and put it in the suitcase on top. He was very polite about everything and was in no way intimidating at all.

Our Nolitours rep later told us that if we had notified the Clinica ahead of time that we would be bringing the medical suppies, they would have let Customs know to expect it and we would have sailed through. If you check out Caylo Largo’s website at “http://www.cayolargodelsur.cu” , click on the British flag to see the site in English, then click on “Medical Services” in the menu on the left and you can see pictures of the Clininca and their email address is there too.

Our rep also mentioned that the doctor at our hotel (Barcelo) was from the Clinica too and we could give the cases to her if we didn’t want to lug them into the village but we did take the taxi as we wanted to wander around. The taxi is $2 CUC per person or the buses run back and forth all day long and will take you for $2 CUC pp as well (we took the bus back & it was a lot more comfortable than the taxi ride!).[/quote]

If a taxi driver took you to the village for 2CUC, you got a great deal! Was the doctor’s name Estrella? If so, she is a very nice lady, I would trust her to bring the supplies where most needed.

I still have not been contacted by NJT London. I emailed NJT Toronto to inquire again, but received no response from them, either.

Looks like we may not be taking anything with us after all. I hope they contact me before Friday!

That was $2 CUC “per person”, so $8 for the four of us! Yes, the doctor at the Barcelo was Estrella but I didn’t get a chance to speak to her myself. I don’t remember the name of the doctor at the clinic but both he and the nurse who let us in were very nice and very pleased once we managed to communciate that there was nothing wrong with any of us but had gifts for them instead.

Does anybody know if there is a clinic near the Iberostar Daiquiri.
If there is one I will bring some medical supplies.

Hawkowls

[quote=@delicateflower3663]I still have not been contacted by NJT London. I emailed NJT Toronto to inquire again, but received no response from them, either.

Looks like we may not be taking anything with us after all. I hope they contact me before Friday![/quote]

Hola Delicateflower

Have you been contacted by NJT yet?.

I have 50 lbs of medical supplies (no medications), packed for Honduras in March and I will be willing to donate anything you may want to bring to Cuba with you.

I have a load of medical supplies, schools supplies, clothes, soaps, shampoos etc… if you would like any of them.

I live just outside of London by the Ford Plant and I will be willing to hook up with you if you do want some of the supplies.

You can send me a P.M. if you are interested in anything. I have several large “Rubbermaid” Containers that you can choose items from.

Have a great vacation,

Freedom Ryder 8-)…

No, still no contact. I’m not sure what to do now. I’d feel more comfortable doing an NJT bag, as it would contain the letters necessary to get thru customs without issue.

As I’ve never done this before, I’d like to take the ‘safest’ route. I hope you understand.

Thank you for offering some of your supplies, but I think I’ll email NJT again and see if I can set that up again.