Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Bug comments

I know Guardalavaca had lots of rain and bugs are not to pleasant. Never had a problem last 4 years but, just in case whats recommended for itching? I know there’s a thread somewhere here :slight_smile: Betty

If you’re wondering about an after-bite treatment, I use Benadryl antihistamine cream. For my toddler, I use Apigel, a homeopathic remedy.

The Benadryl lotion also comes in a pen type applicator that is great for taking along on day trips.

[quote=@booklady6635]
The Benadryl lotion also comes in a pen type applicator that is great for taking along on day trips.[/quote]

I tried using it, and found the applicator didn’t provide much lotion - I ended up making my bites worse because I had to repeatedly press down with the applicator to get a drop of lotion! At first, I thought the pen I was using was defective (even though it was brand new), but the same thing happen with the other two pens I had brought. Did you have a better experience?! Perhaps I was doing it wrong?!!

I use a spray clear liquid called, I think, Anti-Itch. It didn’t help me with the sand flies or fleas or whatever they are. I have never itched so much in my life.

This year at MCG I was well bitten - nothing on hubbie - but for me itch itch.

It was sand fleas as most were from the knee down. I used the apis gel, the afterbite, even some green clay . The green clay worked well to sooth but not remove the itch long term.

Other remedies I have not tried but apparently can work. Rub on bitters to the area, oatmeal (take an extra dose from breakfast) and put in your fridge. I will take neem oil next trip to see if that is a better deterrent.

Socks and long pants - but that also stops the tanning

[quote=@annem][quote=@booklady6635]
The Benadryl lotion also comes in a pen type applicator that is great for taking along on day trips.[/quote]

I tried using it, and found the applicator didn’t provide much lotion - I ended up making my bites worse because I had to repeatedly press down with the applicator to get a drop of lotion! At first, I thought the pen I was using was defective (even though it was brand new), but the same thing happen with the other two pens I had brought. Did you have a better experience?! Perhaps I was doing it wrong?!![/quote]

We didn’t have a problem with it and were using it on my neice and nephew so didn’t push very hard. I did kind of prime it on the back of my hand first. I have heard Tea Tree Oil works as well but haven’t tried it myself.

I always take a bottle of tea tree oil away with me as I’ve found it helps to stop any itching and it also helps keep the bugs away. I just rub a drop or two onto the area morning and evening and it works really well. It also helps to sooth prickly heat rash. I wouldn’t leave home without it!

I have a facial mask with tea tree oil in it, but I had no idea it also had this use. Good tip! Thanks makemineamojito :slight_smile:

Lots of help. Thanks ladies
Hope I don’t need it .
Cheers Betty

Some people have been using Listerine mouthwash in a spray bottle to help keep away the mosquitos and/or sandflies. I haven’t actually tried this but am willing to try it out.

We tried the Listerine spray at our cottage last year and I don’t think that it had any effect on the mosquitos. I’d stick with the DEET repellants.