Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Bugs can be bad in Cuba this year so.....?

I know person to person bugs bites and attraction to bite will be different. They love me and my husband they leave alone. There are several schools of thought about sand fleas and mosquitoes how to keep them away or minimize the itch. But I thought I would ask around for your favorite potion

Deet always works, but I hate to use too much of this neuro toxin.

Eating more citric fruit and less bananas will help but marginally.

Taking brewers yeast works for dogs and fleas … no idea for humans

Garlic in another possibility along with extra vit C and B for 2 weeks before you leave.

:smiley: So … what would your potion or magic elixir be?? ???

My Better Half swears by Avon Skin-So-Soft, but I refuse to go around smelling like that!!! ::slight_smile:

I use Off or something and make sure I always have one of those “Afterbite” thingys in my pouch. They’re a Godsend.

Those pesky little buggers LOVE me…NOTHING WORKS… But I wouldn’t be adverse to trying anything new… I usually come home covered in bites… Ontop of that I think I am allergic to them because while they start out looking like normal bites they get very large by the time I get home and take WEEKS to dissapear… But it doesn’t stop me from going to Cuba lol… Just a minor pitfall…

I’m like you canuks, I get bitten very badly and hubby doesn’t know what my problem is. He gets a few bites, but they don’t seem to itch him much.

On our recent trip I got attacked by sandflies which was unexpected as I never experienced this before. On previous trips I would spray deet (neuro toxin :’() during the evening as I expect mossies, but while I had heard about sandflies, they never bothered me before so I did not spray. I played in the sand with the kids building castles and such for about 2 hours and I had over 100 bites from the waist down (I lost count at 100 ;D). Afterbite helped but I did end up going to the resort doctor and getting a shot of cortisone which helped for about 24 hours).

So… if I may ask, is the same product effective for both sandflies and mosquitos or do you use something different for mossies?

How do I work on getting the dozens of scars on my legs (I couldn’t help but scratch) to fade or hopefully disappear?

Summer is coming and I am dreading looking like a sieve. :-[

We don’t get biten badly , but we use a lot of sunscreen.
Usually 250 mls for the both of us per day.
I don’t know if that helps but it sure doesn’t seem to hurt, and we stay out in the sun all day.

[quote=@ewka]
How do I work on getting the dozens of scars on my legs (I couldn’t help but scratch) to fade or hopefully disappear?

Summer is coming and I am dreading looking like a sieve. :-[[/quote]

LOTS AND LOTS of vit E cream…However some of my scars from them won’t go away… But like you I HAD hundreds of them and maybe 10 scars now…the ones by my feet itched the most and thats where I have the “attractive” scars ::slight_smile: :(…

[quote=@torah69][quote=@ewka]

Summer is coming and I am dreading looking like a sieve. :-[[/quote]

LOTS AND LOTS of vit E cream…However some of my scars from them won’t go away… But like you I HAD hundreds of them and maybe 10 scars now…the ones by my feet itched the most and thats where I have the “attractive” scars ::slight_smile: :(…[/quote]

Is there a specific vitamin E cream you can recommend? Or should I go to the homo store and ask? Actually I’ll be at the homo store tomorrow, so I’ll ask anyways, but was wondering what you used.

NOTHING WORKS for sandflies!!! I have tried it all. If they are in that particular area of beach there’s not a whole lot you can do. As far as the scars go… there is a product called Strivectin. It was primarily used for surface scars and in recent years for stretch marks. Pretty good stuff, a little expensive and once you get rid of the marks on your legs it works great on the sun spots you get from enjoying that Cuban holiday! Shoppers sells it for anywhere from $60-$100 depending on the concentration. Good luck!

I use the shoppers brand so life brand…or the Vit e oil from the body shop…It’s costly but it works really well!

[quote=@ewka][quote=@torah69]

LOTS AND LOTS of vit E cream…However some of my scars from them won’t go away… But like you I HAD hundreds of them and maybe 10 scars now…the ones by my feet itched the most and thats where I have the “attractive” scars ::slight_smile: :(…[/quote]

Is there a specific vitamin E cream you can recommend? Or should I go to the homo store and ask? Actually I’ll be at the homo store tomorrow, so I’ll ask anyways, but was wondering what you used.[/quote]

Bio Oil works well too. Have been using it on a surgery scar and it has definately lessened the appearance. :slight_smile:

My fav is the Avon Skin-So-Soft. Hubby uses Off. I am more apt to get bit than he is. shrug

I tried Bio Oil for my surgery scar and it didn’t work… actually nothing worked for it lol… I think it differs from person to person… Trail and error works best I think :stuck_out_tongue:

I think your right. Trial and error. :slight_smile:
I tried the vit. E cream for a different scar and it didn’t do squat.