Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Bus to Sousa?

I was just wondering if there was a bus to Sousa from the resort area and where you would get on it?

From which resort area - Playa Dorada? If you aren’t certain please give the name of your resort.

Gregg

I was refering to Playa Dorada. I was wondering about the bus because I imagine it would be the cheap way to go.

Buses (called guaguas) in the DR are unlike anything you are likely to see in Alberta. They are older mini-vans (what we would call a ‘beater’ here) into which many passengers are jammed for a memorable but inexpensive ride along the DR’s highways and byways.

From Fun Royale you will have to walk to the main road and cross to the other side. You can stand anywhere and all mode of motorcycles, cars and vans will signal or beep to see if you want a ride. Just signal as if you were flagging a taxi at home if you like the look of that guagua or shake your head if you prefer to have them pass by. I prefer to wait for the Puerto Plata - Rio San Juan guagua but as long as you confirm that the guagua goes to Sosua and you confirm the fare, in advance, you will be fine. Often they are jammed and you might have to wait a while for one with room for you. The fare is $20RD pesos per person to Sosua but I always give them $30RD pesos because it makes them smile and they think the ripped-off the gringo (I get a personal chuckle at this plus I like their smiles).

It is an experience - I have been one of as many as 23 in a mini-van.

Gregg

[quote author=gregg board=general thread=1136467975 post=1136470075]Buses (called guaguas) in the DR are unlike anything you are likely to see in Alberta. They are older mini-vans (what we would call a ‘beater’ here) into which many passengers are jammed for a memorable but inexpensive ride along the DR’s highways and byways.

From Fun Royale you will have to walk to the main road and cross to the other side. You can stand anywhere and all mode of motorcycles, cars and vans will signal or beep to see if you want a ride. Just signal as if you were flagging a taxi at home if you like the look of that guagua or shake your head if you prefer to have them pass by. I prefer to wait for the Puerto Plata - Rio San Juan guagua but as long as you confirm that the guagua goes to Sosua and you confirm the fare, in advance, you will be fine. Often they are jammed and you might have to wait a while for one with room for you. The fare is $20RD pesos per person to Sosua but I always give them $30RD pesos because it makes them smile and they think the ripped-off the gringo (I get a personal chuckle at this plus I like their smiles).

It is an experience - I have been one of as many as 23 in a mini-van.

Gregg[/quote]

Thanks Gregg. That’s the type of experience I enjoy. Is it the same procedure for the return trip or is there a guagua stand :wink: in Sousa where a person can go.

When you go to Sosua you are best to get off at the Supermercado Playero (it’s right beside the police station) and for the return you would go across the road from Supermercado Playero to get the guagua back. For the return, if it is after dark or you don’t want to wait for the guagua you can go to the Texaco station where the carro publicos (public cars, kind of like a shared route taxi) congregate. Here you should be able to hire a carro publico ‘solo’ (what you are doing is buying all the seats for however many of you there are) for about $200RD (about $6US - cheap) and they will take you right to Fun Royale. Make your agreement before you enter the vehicle and pay only at your hotel. Tip as you feel is appropriate. Just another option.

Gregg