Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Buzos dumpster divers in Cuba

Interesting report about how one segment of the population earns a living in Cuba;

Wow, this brings back a foul reminder from late last year of a street person in my Havana neighbourhood getting 4 months in jail for dumpster diving. He’s slightly mentally challenged and ignored repeated warnings… off to jail he went…

Cheers,
Terry

Hi Terry, this might also be a similar experience to yours. I dropped off a bike in box and a few other boxed items to a friend in Cardenas. Later found her ripping all the cardboard boxes and packaging into pieces about the size of a pop can. When asked she said that she needed to do this as she was throwing the cardboard and plastic pieces into a CDR trash bin over a few days and didn’t want to alert CDR that someone in the community had received something from Canada. Destroying evidence so as to not cause an investigation I guess.

That wasn’t about her breaking any law though… receiving the gift wasn’t the issue, it’s the insane jealousy that follows… sometimes it can be vicious… especially when the gift comes from a foreigner.

I wonder what story she made up when she started riding the bike around?!

Cheers,
Terry

Yeah, good point Terry! If a piece of cardboard in the garbage is a dead give away, what will the bike be? Maybe she’ll put a Chinese company’s name plate on it to try and fool everyone!

The bike wasn’t so much of a problem I think, a nice condition 1950’s vintage Raleigh single speed Ladies model with wide town tires found at a garage sale for $25. Looked similar to the following image.

[img src=“http://raleighbikedealer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/53.jpg” alt=" "]

Could have been painted army green with a brush and said to have been used during the Triunfo of the Revolution, maybe by FC himself. :wink:

Hoefully this is in a similar vein. I noticed that some Cubans collect the clear plastic cups used at resorts. I’ve seen them go through garbage cans looking for them and picking them off the beaches. I get the impression that they are resold afterwards?

When i bought beer from a vendor once, near trinidad, he poured it out of a large metal drum into the same plastic cup used in resorts. The plastic cup cost me 1 cup and the beer was 4 cup. so i just refilled the glass when I finished.

Was I using someone else’s recycled plastic cup? If so I hope it was washed. (or at least attempted to be washed.)

[quote=@sssnakesalive]Hoefully this is in a similar vein. I noticed that some Cubans collect the clear plastic cups used at resorts. I’ve seen them go through garbage cans looking for them and picking them off the beaches. I get the impression that they are resold afterwards?

When i bought beer from a vendor once, near trinidad, he poured it out of a large metal drum into the same plastic cup used in resorts. The plastic cup cost me 1 cup and the beer was 4 cup. so i just refilled the glass when I finished.

Was I using someone else’s recycled plastic cup? If so I hope it was washed. (or at least attempted to be washed.)[/quote]

Don’t worry sssnakes, no one drank out of it first. The Trinidad beer vendors use pee cups from the local hospital.

Might have a point. They were a bit smaller than usual.

Garrison Red just snorted out my nose … :wink:

On a serious note though … kudos to Cubans for “diving”. In some places (such as Canada), used stuff is just thrown into landfills.   It is estimated that 30,000 tonnes of clothing, bedding & other textiles are just thrown away every year in Nova Scotia alone.

I don’t know about the cities, but in Ontario at least, in the country, it is a time honoured tradition to cruise the roads the day before or day of garbage pickup. Leave anything remotely useful at the end of your driveway and chances are it will be gone long before the truck comes to collect it. Besides “recycling” various items this way, I have picked up a perfectly good bar fridge put out by my neighbour across the road (who was kind enough to label it “working”, so I knew I was not wasting my time), and a friend’s son has never to my knowledge bothered buying a new computer or peripherals, finding everything he needs at the side of the road. :slight_smile:

My girlfriend swears her husband always brought more stuff back from the dump than he left there. Various items, notably a couch for the dogs to enjoy in the mudroom.

Totally agree Terry, celos y envidia (jealousy and envy) are a couple of the major driving emotions in poor Latino communities such as occur in Mexico…times ten in a country like Cuba where most everyone is poor and everyone is supposed to be equal.

Cheers, Ken

[quote=@sssnakesalive]Hoefully this is in a similar vein. I noticed that some Cubans collect the clear plastic cups used at resorts. I’ve seen them go through garbage cans looking for them and picking them off the beaches. I get the impression that they are resold afterwards?
[/quote]

I never saw them reselling those cups but they use for their own use such as when they have birthday party or other celebration and they have many guests. They do wash them before they serve to others as I asked. Once I was on one birthday party where 60 kids showed up and everyone was on the street with those clear plastic caps dancing and having a sip of drink.

[quote=@flygt5150]Interesting report about how one segment of the population earns a living in Cuba;

[/quote]

This video makes me sad but it is reality and happens in many countries all over the world.