Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Calling Home from DR

You’ll find lots of info on this on the Q,Q,Q thread.

Commons concensus is buy the local pre-paid phone cards. Make sure you shop around, as you can find some pretty good deals.

I’ve been going to the DR for years and I always use my cell phone to make calls. You will need a GSM or worldphone for this. The DR has Excellent cell service even better than some areas here in Canada. Rogers in Canada supports worldphones but not Telus or Bell from my understanding, just check with your provider.

I had to make a call from a hotel once two years ago and it cost me $54 US for less than 10 min. So cell phones are the cheapest and the service and clarity is outstanding.

For what it’s worth…

I’m from the US and use Verison and don’t have world service. My cells work in DR.

I called home last year 3 times using my ALIANT/BELL tri mode phone, and the average proce per call was about $13 CDN. The one drawback, was I was forced to use analog, as the digital was not compatable with the DR network…Still not a bad price.

EDinNB

Just home from Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana. My 10/4 Bell Mobility phone did NOT work. No 10/4, no text, no calls. I was however very happy to discover I could buy a $10 Verizon calling card from the gift shop and got 29 minutes of calling time with it. (I actually think I got about 33 minutes by my timing) I would highly recommend getting a VERIZON calling card.

I think Jammies idea is a good one for a number of reasons, you don’t have to worry about loosing / misplacing your phone and then the charges that could be billed to your account. By using the VERIZON card, you know you have a certain amount of minutes to use and the worst that could happen is you loose your card. This way you are only out the $20. cost of the card.
Is this particular card only available at the resort or is it something you can purchase ahead of time like a Bell phone card?
I have a $20 Bell card that I never used in Mexico in February 06. Not sure if they expire or how good it would be in the DR. Guess I will have to check with Bell and see what they have to say.

Apparantly ONLY Verizon calling cards work in Punta Cana. I don’t think your Bell card will work so hang onto it for another trip to Mexico. I bought my card for $10 US right in the gift shop of the hotel ,but other people I spoke to had bought VERIZON calling cards in the US and used them in Punta Cana.

There are a few other types of cards, but Verizon is the cellular service of the country and seems to be the best and easiest choice for cards.

Western Union has many offices in the DR. , their phone rates are inexpensive.

Does anyone know if Ocean Sands sells these phone cards in their gift shops? Also once you get the cards which phones do you use to call? Room phone?

You can purchase a Verizon card at Ocean Sand/Blue at the Mini Market (on site).

We made one 3 minute call to Canada (without any cards) and it was $6 US.

I used my Bell mobility cell last year and it worked. Kept the call short. I basically called to say we arrived safe and we would comunicate via internet and MSN afterwards.

I don’t really know for sure… but here is my educated guess.

1- The gifft shop most likely sells them.

2- I would never make a call from a room phone (even in the USA). Connecting through a room phone will likely incur huge fees. Call from a pay phone. Anyone know any different?

I guess I am a rookie at vacations. I always called home from my room phone, without a calling card. I don’t talk long, just to make sure the house is still standing and kids haven’t tied up the sitter. :smiley:
I will use the phone card this time, seems to be a lot cheaper. Is it still cheaper to use it from your room? Or even possible?

Tan

There are also many internet cafe’s and calling centers in Sosua, Cabarete and you just call home and pay afterwards- very cheap.
Depends where you’re staying but if you are going in to town, save your calls and make them in town instead of from your room.

I know this is the geek response, but last night I phoned home using Skype. Called my wife on the landline for 10 minutes at a cost of 25 cents. I then called another friend in Europe who also uses Skype, for free. While chatting, my wife had booted up her PC and called me back on Skype, so the three of us had a conference call for another ten minutes or so for free.

All this time, I was sitting in Onno’s Bar, using their free Wi-Fi. Laptop and a pair of travel headphones that cost me £5.

[quote author=tanzie board=general thread=1162151870 post=1164253650]I guess I am a rookie at vacations. I always called home from my room phone, without a calling card. I don’t talk long, just to make sure the house is still standing and kids haven’t tied up the sitter. :smiley:
I will use the phone card this time, seems to be a lot cheaper. Is it still cheaper to use it from your room? Or even possible?

Tan[/quote]

Some resorts/hotels may not charge… I just know that I have been dinged with a few surprises calling from a hotel room since they often charge a per minute service fee.

Never call collect either… I have learned that lesson.

I was in Myrtle Beach last year and called collect from the room… figuring since I had a good LD plan at home it would be worth it. Well I got charged some insane fees ($12 connection… around $3 per minute)

My LD bill came and it was less than $2 (5 cents a minute). My Bell bill (local phone bill) and there was something like $200 in fees for that 30 minutes of collect calls.

If you don’t have technology with you to support Skype or other such programs, Verizon calling card is the way to go. No surprises. Simple to use and call from your room with no additional hotel charges (that has been my experience at the resorts at which we have stayed). You can pick them up at many locations. Codetel buildings on the Puerto Plata side and gift shops in the Punta Cana resort area. You will get about 30 min. of calling time to Canada for approx. 200$RD. ($6.00 US)

Ok so I’m going to Ocean sand. If I buy a verizon phone card I can call from my hotel room and it won’t cost me anything more???

We didn’t use the Verizon card; however, you can contact Catherine (the Signature Vacation Rep at Ocean Sand) and she can tell you. Go to the orientation session on the day after you arrive (held at 10 am) and she will answer all of your questions.