Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cameleon Villas Jibacoa Question

We are going on the 15th of Jan for our first trip to Cuba.
Could someone who has been to the resort please tell me if the dinner dress code is for all dinners or just the alacarte.
I am hoping that I do not need to pack extra.
Thanks

Hey wyllie, my guess would be the dress code would only be for the a la carte, which is pretty much the norm all over, at least thats all I’m preparing for. We are going to be at CVJ on the 14th.

Not needed for the buffet - my recollection from last year a lot of people still had bathing suits on at dinner!

While CVJ is known to be a more lay-back, casual resort some people do take this to the extreme.

Bathing suits only are not permitted in the buffet at lunch or dinner. Wear a cover-up or shorts and a T-shirt (with a bathing suit underneath if you must ;D)

My hubbie did wear long pants/collared shirt for the a la carte at CVJ (the respectful thing to do if this is what a resort requests!), but we did see some guys wearing shorts and they were not turned away at the door.

Thanks for the responses.
The reason that I asked the question was we were at 2 different resorts in the Dominican and both said dress code for dinner. At one it was only for the alacart and the other it was every night. Did not want to bring extra long pants this time if they are not needed. One pair is enough would rather go light and have room for ??? on the way home

One week tomorrow. Cant wait.

Yes, when I was at CVJ this past October the Cuban guests, who were in the majority, were appalled by the Canadians wearing bathing suits in the buffet restaurant. It really is a bit much. I don’t want to see that much flesh at lunch; it’s unappetizing! :slight_smile:
Dressing up a bit for the evening is the norm, even at the buffet, but I would say that one pair of long pants for the Criollo is sufficient for this resort. If you really want to show respect, make sure you tip - and thank - the head chef there. His name is Lazaro, and he’s a tall, bald black man who speaks very little english, but manages to be quite communicative nonetheless. He is a genius with limes and makes the best stuffed chicken I have ever eaten in my life. If you enthuse a little over his cuisine, he will make sure you have the best meals of any vacation you will ever take. Once we were observed hunting for the salt and pepper on our table and the next time we came he brought his own from home for our table. A gift of a bottle of good wine from the Canadian duty free shop at your departure to Cuba will also ensure that he treats you like royalty for your entire visit…
Theresa

Would anyone know…is there an internet station at CVJ ? and if so, how reliable is it? How about phone use to call home. With teens at home… :o … we always try to make contact at least once during the week.

The internet station at CVJ was broken when we were there in late October. I emailed the public relations manager after our vacation about a couple of things we found deficient in that trip, and asked her about it. She told me that the computer wasn’t owned by the resort and that they were hoping to get a new one for January. I’m not sure whether it has arrived or not. If it’s there, it will be slow however, so be prepared. So called “high speed” in Cuba is really just dialup. They simply don’t have the infrastructure for anything else.
You can telephone home from the lobby, but it isn’t cheap. Ask at the front desk and they will place the call for you and point to a chair in the lobby beside a phone. When someone answers, you pick up the phone and have your conversation. I think the first three minutes is about $10CUC.
Theresa

I was there 3 days ago and the internet works. It’s very slow and cost 8 CUCs for an hour but it works.

Thanks for the info update…6 more days… ;D