Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Canadian Economy - Showing A Slowdown

Will this effect your plans for a Cuban vacation. If so how ?

Not a chance! Vacation/down time is essential to my way of life so I plan for it. It’s a $25.00 week plan. Many spend that a much more on coffee & muffins at their local. At the end of a year you have just about enough for a trip. Having a nice beach to look forward to also helps :slight_smile:

It’s not that low yet.
5 years ago it was 79 cents/USD; 73 cents in 2004.
90 cents looks good today. LOL

Spunky: You must be a lot younger than I thought. I can remember gloating because we got 61 CUCs for $100 CDN. I also remember when they accepted American at par with no penalty and staff loved to get the US greenback. How things change.

[quote=@cubakingone]Will this effect your plans for a Cuban vacation. If so how ?
[/quote]

No, not at all!

Dec 30, 2008 got 74 CUC for $100 CAD, as a consequence I cut a month off my trip, returning to Guatemala where I spent $20/day less than Cuba.

Now in 2014 I have 10% less income to spend due to the crappy Canadian economy! Sure won’t be going to Cuba, maybe a visa run to Mexico by chicken bus though. P-)

UK rates of exchange are the best for a long time. On today’s rate of exchange £1 will buy 1.61362 CUC’s, the best rate for years.

When do you go back, Ken?

Check the ticker in my signature. It gives the exact time to my take off, which is two weeks on Friday - March 7th. I fly back on April 2nd.

Nice. 47th.

No, not at all. Maybe the slower economy will decrease demand and we’ll see some good last minute prices. Regardless, I’d pay full price and we’re planning on twice a year now til we drop.

That’s good to know that you will be taking two trips a year to Cuba from now on.

Not sure about Cuba each time but certainly somewhere. Haven’t been to Cuba in 2 years but we’re looking at early May. Chances of topping your 47+ visits aren’t likely but it’s a goal!

I’m not quite up to Ken’s count, but I’m at 45 (if you count my one night visit in '08 due to Hurricane Paloma), so I am closing in on him. Had I done my usual number of trips this past year I might actually be ahead!! :wink:

And no, the economy will not keep me from travelling. Unfortunately I have other concerns at the moment.

Hasn’t affected me yet. Heading to Memories Varadero at the end of March.

It’s more of a mental thing, seeing the vacation companies raise their “taxes” due to our low dollar. And we ALL know it wont ever go back down even if our dollar was at par!

Cuba will be always on my list, as even though it is costing a little more to go, everywhere is going up as well.

Taxes to Dominican or Mexico are getting close to $500 in some cases. Just nuts.

I am concerned as the Can. $ is melting faster than a snowman on a Cuban beach !!!*

Good one Gordon. But I do remember a winter (a few years ago) in Guillermo. I believe at one point it was 5 degrees Celsius. For about a week. Not our best Cuban vacation; so we went south to Santiago!

[quote=@monctonguy]Hasn’t affected me yet. Heading to Memories Varadero at the end of March.

It’s more of a mental thing, seeing the vacation companies raise their “taxes” due to our low dollar. And we ALL know it wont ever go back down even if our dollar was at par!

Cuba will be always on my list, as even though it is costing a little more to go, everywhere is going up as well.

Taxes to Dominican or Mexico are getting close to $500 in some cases. Just nuts.[/quote]

I full agree with monctonguy. Taxes for traveling going up and will never go back. Fuel surcharge tax was introduced temporary now it is part of the price and nobody talking about it anymore. As economy sink most probably people that are in big debt will have issues and start selling houses in order to save their hard earned dollars. Vacationing will be always on my top priority list as I simply love being on the beach and
enjoying sunny days during cold winters in Canada.

“Canadian Economy - Showing A Slowdown”… hardly. Had my best year EVER in 2013 so the travel budget is looking nice and healthy. Time to take a world map and throw a few darts at it and see what sticks!!!

Here’s hoping the good times keep a booming!!!

Please to hear it Steve. I wonder if you still have that photo of me outside Timmies, that you doctored. I’d love a copy of that if you could either email or PM it to me.