Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Canadian Repeaters To Cuba

In 2014 over 60% of the 1 million Canadian tourists to Cuba will be repeat visitors. This why so many Canadians tip with gifts rather than cash.

Managed to work that in again, eh? :wink: Nothing “Fishy” yet.

So how many of total tourist from Canada will visit Cuba in 2014? Any idea?

is it friday…lol…which came first the chicken or the egg…

???
Sorry, not getting it crabby1.

There are indeed a lot of Canadians who vacation in Cuba regularly. Some 2 or 3 times a year.

According to one report I found, 2,546,851 tourists visited in the first 11 months of 2013. Of these, 38.9% were from Canada. An article in Granma says that the total for the year was over 2.8 million.

The same article in Granma said that visitors in January of this year were 13% more than last January. So if we make the assumption that the rest of the year will see almost as much increase as January, and that the proportion of Canadians is similar to last year, the total for next year should be close to 1.2 million from Canada.
If we want to play a little game here, and see who can guess the closest, I will put my number just a bit short of that and say 1,198,122 Tourists from Canada.

[quote=@yvrck][quote=@crabby1]is it friday…lol…which came first the chicken or the egg…[/quote]???

There are indeed a lot of Canadians who vacation in Cuba regularly. Some 2 or 3 times a year.[/quote]

4 years ago, we went 5 times to Cuba. I had vacation days due before I retired; use them or lose them. I decided to go to Cuba. I paid a lot less that year in my 5 visits, than I would have spent at home on things like food, laundry, cable, electricity, HEAT!! My best year yet; but I’m hoping we can stretch our money and so far - we’ve managed. Twice in 2013, and so far once in 2014 and we still have 9 months to go. Wish us luck.

Have been to Cuba many times - I will be a repeat visitor this year and I will tip with cash not “gifts” just like all the other times …cash is king!!!

[quote=@cubajack]According to one report I found, 2,546,851 tourists visited in the first 11 months of 2013. Of these, 38.9% were from Canada. An article in Granma says that the total for the year was over 2.8 million.

The same article in Granma said that visitors in January of this year were 13% more than last January. So if we make the assumption that the rest of the year will see almost as much increase as January, and that the proportion of Canadians is similar to last year, the total for next year should be close to 1.2 million from Canada.
If we want to play a little game here, and see who can guess the closest, I will put my number just a bit short of that and say 1,198,122 Tourists from Canada.
[/quote]

So roughly 1.2 million tourist from Canada will visit Cuba in 2014. That is big number and much bigger than 15 years ago when I went first time to Cuba. Vacation is more affordable and rates went down because most tourists book vacations online and not using tourist agents. Another thing is that word of the mouth play big advertising for Cuban tourism as other tourists recommend Cuba to their friends and family members.

This Canadian has been 3 times, 1st time to SRLM for a week and some tours, a yr later back to SRLM but got bored ut of my skull after 3 days of AI resort.

The 3rd trip was 2 months, 1 month in Havana, another seeing the major sights from Vinales to my favourite place, Baracoa. Had allocated 3 months to that trip but pretty much saw all I wanted in 2 plus the costs were higher than I expected so left after 2 returning to Guatemala.

Have no immediate plans to return as there are 192+ countries in the world to check out and my count is only at 41. That said I still would like to do the train from Santiago to Havana, didn’t do it last time as I stopped in Guardalavaca to meet belagio so just used Viasul.

So never say never! P-)

Have been to Cuba about 14 times now. 12 times at the same place, twice in Holguin. Do I love Cuba? You betcha. Also as busman stated, there are so many countries to check out and that too, we’ve done. While we do love cuba, we love cental/south america - for the guaranteed weather. Next year we will forego our fav little spot in Jibacoa and check out the south part of Cuba…haven’t been there yet.

I’ve been to Cuba 45 times since 2003, many repeats to several resorts, and most trips solo. I am very comfortable travelling alone to Cuba. I am not so sure I want to go alone to other Caribbean destinations. (and yes, I have been known to take gifts to people I have known for some time. It is the only solution when they refuse to take money from me.)

[quote=@yvrck][quote=@crabby1]is it friday…lol…which came first the chicken or the egg…[/quote]???

There are indeed a lot of Canadians who vacation in Cuba regularly. Some 2 or 3 times a year.[/quote]I think this is in reference for someone’s obsession with bringing gifts to Cuba and his endless threads about that topic spanning over many forums over the years. I respect Gordon’s experience and his tenacity, but I don’t see the link between lots of Canadian visitors and gifts. This is what some people may have been refering to.

[quote=@sssnakesalive][quote=@yvrck]???

There are indeed a lot of Canadians who vacation in Cuba regularly. Some 2 or 3 times a year.[/quote] but I don’t see the link between lots of Canadian visitors and gifts.
[/quote]Actually the thread was about repeat Canadian visitors.

As has been mentioned in nearly all gifting threads, ‘tip in cash to strangers, gifts to friends’ so Gordon is saying that the repeat visitors will be bringing lots of gifts to friends. Sometimes it’s necessary to read between the lines to get his exact meaning. :slight_smile:

[quote=@busman7][quote=@sssnakesalive] but I don’t see the link between lots of Canadian visitors and gifts.
[/quote]Actually the thread was about repeat Canadian visitors.

As has been mentioned in nearly all gifting threads, ‘tip in cash to strangers, gifts to friends’ so Gordon is saying that the repeat visitors will be bringing lots of gifts to friends. Sometimes it’s necessary to read between the lines to get his exact meaning. :slight_smile:
[/quote]It’s true about reading between the lines. I’ve been following him for years over the different sites. I missed meeting him by a couple of weeks at Marea del Portillo once. I was very curious and really looking forward to putting a face to the name and thought that his posts would have made a lot more sense to me afterwards. Would have been nice to sit down and talk.

I think we all agree on that, and I think that all Gordon is really explaining is that the repeat visitors are the ones most likely to have friends that they want to bring gifts to. And, apparently Gordon has been there a lot of times.

And, as I have said lots of times before, nothing wrong with giving a gift to a friend. I just don’t think I would be giving out gifts to strangers when I don’t know what they might want or need.

[quote=@sssnakesalive][quote=@busman7]Actually the thread was about repeat Canadian visitors.

[/quote]It’s true about reading between the lines. I’ve been following him for years over the different sites. I missed meeting him by a couple of weeks at Marea del Portillo once. I was very curious and really looking forward to putting a face to the name and thought that his posts would have made a lot more sense to me afterwards. Would have been nice to sit down and talk.
[/quote]sssnakesalive I had the good fortune to meet Gordon at SRLM you’re correct about some of his posts making more sense once you’ve met him. Must say that some of his posts especially when the big ego posters come down on him, can be chain pullers to stir the pot a bit. Have to give him credit though, he is always polite, unlike some.

Cash for a decent purse = CUC $ 50.00. I have been to Cuba 83 times since March of 1993 and take in many tip / gits.

My children do very well with their gifts but some of their friends wii not come to their birthday parties as they have very few party clothes. !!!* All of my children’s clothes are hand on when they are not needed.

You are right Central American countries will have warmer weather during winter time in Canada. Cuba is convenient as it is very close and flights are short.