Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Catalonia Yucatan Beach vs GBP Coba

We’ve managed to narrow our choice down to these options. Both seem to have good reviews, within budget, etc.

What we are wondering is if besides tours of ruins, etc., is there anything close by to these to do? We’ve normally stayed in Playa Del Carmen so we’ve ventured to 5th Ave for an afternoon out. I don’t expect something of that scale, but is there somewhere near either if these to go get a lunch out with a few beers for a reasonable price and some shops to wonder around in?

Thanks!

Coba is big resort connected with 4 other resorts. Town if Tulum is around 20 km from the resort where you can have some food, coffee and walk around as well popular archeological zone Tulum is known about. Xel-Ha is closer …around 7 km so can be nice walk from the hotel…really not stores etc around hotel but hwy that goes to Playa or Tulum. I loved service in GBP!

We stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan a couple of years ago. I posted a lengthy review at TripAdvisor. Search under my username “kurtsoma” to find it or send me a PM here at Debbie’s.

The Catalonia is actually two smaller resorts combined. We stayed on the quieter Yucatan side. Beach was smaller and therefore a bit more crowded than we usually like. The resort is close to a lovely “town” area within walking distance which we really enjoyed exploring. Pubs, cafes, shops, etc. Not as large as Playa but still very enjoyable.

We haven’t stayed at the GBP complex because we don’t like huge resorts. I also understand they have a dolphin pen on the property, so out of personal principles I would never go there.

We’ve visited the ruins at Tulum on several occasions but always go using the collectivos (inexpensive tourist mini-van transport) and paying our own admission rather than booking a tour through the resort.

Thanks for the info!

Kurtsoma nailed it with her response.
We have also stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba and transferred out of the hotel to the Grand Palladium. Not sure if it was the time of year, but the Service and attitude of the Staff at that time was disgraceful. The Transat rep shared with us that anyone who had traveled at all was transferring out. Now keep in mind this was 10 yrs ago, so I would like to think things have changed, but not enough for us to ever return.