Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cell phone/data service

Just found out today that my carrier…US Cellular does not have any coverage in the Dominican Republic.  I will be arriving in Punta Cana in 9 days and need to know what I can do.  I have tried reading the old posts about this but want to make sure I am understanding correctly.  I am purchasing a cheap unlocked cell phone but should I purchase a sim/time card here in the US or wait until I get to Punta Cana?  I will not use the phone service much, and my hotel has free internet in certain areas.  All I basically would want it for is to be able to email from the beach if I wanted ;)  Any help I can get with this is appreciated!

If your hotel has free wifi, then I’d use that in preference to any sim card. As you say, all you want to do is send and receive a few emails.

[quote=@aforeman]Just found out today that my carrier…US Cellular does not have any coverage in the Dominican Republic.  I will be arriving in Punta Cana in 9 days and need to know what I can do.  I have tried reading the old posts about this but want to make sure I am understanding correctly.  I am purchasing a cheap unlocked cell phone but should I purchase a sim/time card here in the US or wait until I get to Punta Cana?  I will not use the phone service much, and my hotel has free internet in certain areas.  All I basically would want it for is to be able to email from the beach if I wanted ;)  Any help I can get with this is appreciated!
[/quote]

if you want wi-fi style internet anywhere, get this http://www.gobecon.com/reliable-connectivity/wifi/

they will deliver it right to you at the airport,

Northernale1, that looks like something that would work good for me. Have you used it before? I see you have to make a $50 cash deposit at the airport for it, is this a reliable source that I will get my $50 back? $29.95 I don’t mind paying but would rather not spend 79.95 for internet, lol

Never mind I guess, it says they are sold out for the dates I will be there :frowning:

yes they are very reliable and work really well, and yes you get your 50 dollar deposit back( if they never took deposit they probably wouldnt get there units back)…

they are very popular and need to be booked well in advance

Northernale1, thank you for the information. I waited too long to start trying to find something. I arrive May 8. I just thought that my carrier would have coverage. Guess I shouldn’t have “thought”. Thanks again.

Gobecon is great and I have used their service.

However, they have limited units available due to customers abusing the units, they are supposed to be getting more, just not sure when. I have them booked for my upcoming trip and hopefully they come through for me.

However, if you have an unlocked cell phone there is an Orange outlet upon arrivals where you can purchase a SIM card or a SIM 3G Data card. I also used this in March of this year.

Thank you Debbie! I had heard a little about the Orange sim card. I have 2 prepaid phones but not sure how to tell if they are unlocked or not? And also we will be on a shuttle to the hotel from the airport so not sure it will allow me enough time in airport to get one. But just knowing there is an option helps a lot! Thank you for your help!

when I went through the airport in March it only took me 2 minutes to pay and get the card.

One way to tell if your phone is unlocked is to put another carrier’s sim card in the phone and if it works then it is unlocked… you can pick up cheapie unlocked phones from Kijiji or eBay, not sure where you’re from.