Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Change Traveller cheques

Hi help required we are at the Ocean Blue and have brought with us US Travellers cheques the hotel do not change them where is the nearest we can have them cashed

Thanks

[quote=@rystjest]Hi help required we are at the Ocean Blue and have brought with us US Travellers cheques the hotel do not change them where is the nearest we can have them cashed

Thanks[/quote]

Just being curious and nosey here… what was the reason thay gave for not cashing them… I have never ever had a problem cashing a TC, long as I had my passport with me…

the hotel say they do not have the facilities to change them?

Taxi to a bank, take your passport with you.

Any Banco Popular will cash

Your resort is one of the few that will not cash T/C’s

There is a banco popular in the Bavaro Plaza, no more than 5 minutes from your hotel by taxi

That is indeed strange that they would not cash them for you. We have never had that problem,EVER!. I wonder how many other resorts will not cash the TC?

I’ve been at a couple! They said “we’re not a bank” and sent me to an exchange kiosk–who charged 10% for the service. I guess they have a business to run, but…

There was no charge if you use the cheques to make purchases, and they would issue change in cash. I had to make an impulse purchase when checking out a couple of years ago because I needed to break a $20 TC for the departure tax. Ended up buying a $3 bracelet that I liked but didn’t intend to purchase. Had read on the forums that the airport wouldn’t take the cheques. I think that’s just as crazy as the hotels not breaking them for us! But I guess there are a lot of airport rules we don’t like. (I have since always kept a $20 in my passport, just in case.)

Kaki

Good thing that most Canadian tour operators now include the $20 in their “taxes and fees” - only Sunwing does not.