Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cholera outbreak in Cuba

See it in CNN web page today

ProMed mail has had that information since December.

http://www.promedmail.org/direct.php?id=20121219.1458541

I don’t think it is a concern for the average tourist, but if you are heading for Havana it wouldn’t hurt to take Dukoral as a precaution.

[quote=@eeeefarm]ProMed mail has had that information since December.

http://www.promedmail.org/direct.php?id=20121219.1458541

I don’t think it is a concern for the average tourist, but if you are heading for Havana it wouldn’t hurt to take Dukoral as a precaution.[/quote]

Yes I saw this today; We are not taking any chances and ordered Dukoral from our pharmacy; we take our first dose on Saturday for our upcoming trip to Santiago de Cuba. Better play it safe… especially with Cholera. :slight_smile: :sunglasses: ::slight_smile:
You never know, with the current travel season in full bloom could the Cuban Gov’t be hiding the truth to avoid economic impacts (tourism)? :-X :’(

they have 47 cases detected in the town Habana Vieja, 17 are natural capital and 33 come from the eastern provinces - since when has 17 + 33 = 47 ?

It is news today because this is an official announcement from a government source.

Even if there are 10 times the cases reported, that is still about .02 % of the population.

Very few tourists will be anywhere near the cholera.

How about unofficial ???

50 for now, in the eastern provinces? Let’s see what happens and what the numbers look like a week from now.
If you’re going tomorrow, drink bottled water, wash your hands often and maybe?? skip street food in the affected areas?

Got an e-mail this afternoon from the Casa we’ve rented for Feb. 16 in Habana Viejo. She says 52 cases in Havana and “according to authorities of the Ministry of Public Health everything is controlled.” One story says it was started with Street Food Vendors and yet another"unofficial" story is that it was perhaps brought in somehow from Haiti.
You’re right, Spunky. She says the same…bottled water, cocktails with ice only if you know where the ice came from, wash hands after the bathroom and not to eat anything raw. I’m also adding, as you did, stay away from Street Vendors !

Hey, old grapes, maybe it’ll be figured out by then. I’m hoping our new members will read your advice too.

Extremely likely. Cuba had been cholera free for some time, then last summer problems began in an area where medical workers had returned from Haiti. Of course, it is easy to spread it around when you have less than perfect sanitary facilities and especially when there is also flooding. Wells get contaminated. People get sick and it spreads further. People not obviously sick may be carriers, and so it goes…

More here for Facebook users:

[quote=@ald1]
You never know, with the current travel season in full bloom could the Cuban Gov’t be hiding the truth to avoid economic impacts (tourism)? :-X :’([/quote]

My take on it is that since tourism is such an important industry to them I don’t think they’d jeopardize their credibility by downplaying this situation. It could impact negatively on them more in the future.

50 cases in a city of 2,000,000 + the provinces is hardly a newsworthy event except for sources like CNN, the voice of the US propaganda machine & Facebook ??? no comment needed there.

Also never had a problem with street-food, just buy from the busy vendors the locals patronize. :sunglasses:

Should have added it’s also best to buy at a busy time when the food is fresh & hasn’t been sitting around for long.

I agree with that too vagabond. Slow day in the news and something so the USA, can nitpick on Cuba.

"just buy from the busy vendors the locals patronize"
Words to live by. Thanks vagabond.