Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cigars from Cuba ~ do you miss'em when you run out

Last Friday night I smoked my last of the cigars that I had brought back from Cuba ~ They were kept in my Humidor
It was Romeo Y Julieta Corona.
I usually like / enjoy to smoke one cigar a week when in Canada from my Cuba stock.
When in Cuba one per evening and the odd daytime one when it’s not too windy on the beach.
Now I have enjoyed this Friday ritual so much I am thinking of going to a cigar shop here in Ottawa and purchasing one a week until our next Cuba (or Caribbean) trip in November. :-/ :-/
In some 20 + trips down south this would be the first time I feel like purchasing a Cigar in Canada. When I run out that’s the end of my smoking until the next trip. :’(
Two options: Quit until we go back to Cuba so I can smoke a Cuban purchased in Cuba like I always have or ask a member of the forum who is in the Ontario East / Western Quebec Area to bring back a box for me…
any Volunteers :-* :wink: :slight_smile:

;D ;D, sounds to me, ald1, that you need to bring back more so that you have enough to last between trips ;). Make friends with someone(s) at the resort who live in your general area and see if they’ll mule back for you. My husband has done that every trip, as he won’t go over the limit allowed, and ends up with 8 - 10 boxes each trip. He’s had people as far away as Ontario mule back for him. He’s on the patio, right now, having a Cuban and mojito after a tough day at work :slight_smile:

I feel for you. Thankfully I haven’t had that problem yet! I smoke only if the time is right. Like you, if it’s windy, I won’t bother. I tend to smoke on the weekends only. I enjoyed a fantastic RyJ Churchill today while golfing. If only my game was as good as my cigar…lol ;D

The prices here are too much for me to want to buy any if I did run out. I also smoke a pipe, so it takes the place of a cigar often. That’s the only reason I haven’t run out of cigars between trips.

Yep, you definitely need a mule train delivery! ;D :sunglasses:

hehehe SteffieJ… you are right. :stuck_out_tongue:

but in the past years I would run out and that would be the end of that till the next year… and I was OK with that.

This year I guess with all this great hot weather here in Ottawa (and most of Canada) it feels like I am in Cuba hence the temptation…

thanks for the tip on the mule…makes me think of me a few years ago where I was a mule for a hunting buddy of mine who enjoyed great cigars. Every trip to Cuba (or DR.) I would bring back a few boxes for him. He has since passed away and I do miss him!

Hello to yer Hubby fo me and I am sure he is enjoying his patio time!
RU making the mojitos for him after his tough day at work? ;D :smiley: :wink:

Hola
one simple answer, go to cuba more often…lol…and I never run out, that is just wrong on many levels…just did a count a few days back…723 sticks…hope my wife does not see this…lol

I managed to get a couple of bundles of peso cigars last year and distributed them amongst many folk who claim expertise.
All gave the peso’s top marks as smokes and almost all gave good marks for smoke-ability.
One said his were a little dry but that’s my fault for not putting a slice of apple in his package.
I quit smoking years ago but loved cigars and loved the taste of these peso cigars. I may not eat one as promised but sure have sucked the life out of a couple and they are worth every bit of twelve cents, each.

I am always a mule - I don’t smoke cigars although when in Cuba I might try a purito or demitasse. I remember opening my sweet little tin of Romeo y Julieta minis and offering one to my Cuban pal - he said, “You know, this is the first time I ever smoke anything like this!” He was brand new to the travel business at that point and I am sure he has partaken of many more cigars since then.

I mule back for a firefighter my sister works with in Ottawa - never met the guy - but he sure does love his smokes. Also bring back R & J 4s for the guys at work - and the security guards.

I just love the smile on a smoker’s face when you give them a fresh tubo from Cuba. I always tell them, “Don’t save it for ‘good’ - ‘good’ is NOW”.

Hola
"R & J 4s " perhaps you mean No 2’s in R&J’s…same size montecristo No.4’s…5X42.
OK i will bite spunky, how are they 12 cents…more like a nickel. 1cuc for 25. Last trip I got el culoso a little smaller than the other pesos cigars I have smoked, I smoked two of them before I past them off to some friends…the best pesos I have smoked…todate.
with a good cigar the world is your ashtray…cheers.

Sounds like you are in a predicament. LOL One of our travel companions saves all year and then in Cuba he brings home over $1500 worth of his favorite cigars. He can only do this because we, all the rest of us act as his mule. LOL He has 3 humidors…he never runs out.

He still has some from our Punta Cana trip 3 years ago from Don Lucas.

Better to quit me thinks LOL or do more Cuba trips or as other suggested, befriend someone living in your area.

;D ;D ;D No way! He’s the Mojito King; I’m a mere pupil hoping, one day, to attain greatness at making mojitos. The secret…Cuban mint. :wink:
Eloisegirl…you put a smile on my face reading your post :-*

Ive brought some of those back when visiting Punta Cana. I had met up with “Punta Cana Mike” who use to be on the DR forum. he brought me over to the big store. largest humidor i’e been in. picked up 1 box of Don Lucas and 3 boxes of La aurora… One of my favorite DR cigars.
any one here remember PC Mike?

[quote=@crabby1]Hola
one simple answer, go to cuba more often…lol…and I never run out, that is just wrong on many levels…just did a count a few days back…723 sticks…hope my wife does not see this…lol[/quote]

holy mother of god! 723 sticks… you must have quite the humidor?
you wouldn’t happen to live in the Ottawa Area eh? I could help you out with your overstock ;D ;D

Perhaps crabby1 uses the same trick as my hubby; once the humidors are full, start using coolers (like you use for camping). Used properly, they work like a hot darn :slight_smile:

;D ;D ;D…I really didn’t use the word “darn” the real word was automatically changed :stuck_out_tongue:

Cigar Hoarding Disorder - it can happen to anyone! :wink:

Hola
Yes, like MD’s restaurants an upsize humidor 2ft x3ft and 6ft tall….much easier to look after your cigars than the smaller humidors that is for sure…go big or go home…lol. Was my wife who said to buy the thing, she was getting tired with all the other smaller humidors all over the house….love that women…lol.
Cigar Hoarding Disorder, now that is funny and very accurate, next trip Sept 5 but who is counting… cheers

Sorry crabby, yes, more like 4 cents each. I was thinking about the cost of crisp tres pesos notes and coins.
This time the brand was PITA Hnos.

Hey Spunky…you find those peso cigars in CL? I’d love to know who I can contact there if so. PM me if you don’t mind giving the source away. :wink: :sunglasses:

[quote=@steffiej]Perhaps crabby1 uses the same trick as my hubby; once the humidors are full, start using coolers (like you use for camping). Used properly, they work like a hot darn :slight_smile:

;D ;D ;D…I really didn’t use the word “darn” the real word was automatically changed :P[/quote]

I have a few nice humidors but one I keep boxes in is an old bar fridge I converted to a humidor. :sunglasses:

You need to find someone who is taking a side trip to the Isle of Youth or to Havana, to pick them up for you. This time they were visiting Pineros but the cigars were made in Santiago.

Hey, Gefm, I haven’t forgotten that I promised to try and get some current cigar prices for you when we were in Havana back in Feb. Just haven’t had the time to organize. I’m about to start vacation time and one of my projects is to get my photos from the trip organized and send you what information I was able to gather while hubby was cigar shopping. It won’t be much but I hope it will be of some value towards the stellar list you put together :slight_smile:

ald1… Here in Kingston they have a cigar store that I’ll go to so I can replenish my stock. I usually only smoke the clubs or minis and I don’t see that much of a difference in price from some stores in Cuba.