Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cigars

How available are cigars in Punta Cana? Do they have a good selection and what are the prices like? Any real Cuban cigars available?

Hi mikecanada and welcome. I know that cigars are available in Punta Cana, but I don’t know where because I have only traveled to the North Coast. The prices are definately less than here at home and the selection will be somewhat different than here in Canada. I am a tobacconist, and know that if they are made in the free-trade zone, they are usually not available. “Cuban” cigars are not available in the Dominican Republic, for they do not trade with Cuba. If you see any cubans, you can be 99.9% sure that they are fake. Hopefully someone else can help you out with where to buy them, I see that you will be at the Palladium?? Thanks!

Mike

I bought mine from a shop in town when we went on a tour.
maybe Cubans are not available anymore but they were available three years ago.

Be sure to do your homework on what the Cuban cigars should look like and I think you will have no problems.

From the research I have done some people are giving rave reviews about the DR cigars you might want to give them a try.

I will let you know what i find out when i get back in November.

When we were in Punta Cana a few years ago (2002) we went on Outback Safari, they stopped at a small cigar factory. We picked up some beautiful cigars there. They were reasonably priced and authentic. You have to be careful where you buy your cigars, as you might be getting a lot of fillers and very poor quality. These cigars had 2 local leaves and the outer leaf was shipped in from Kentucky. REMEMBER you are in Dominican Republic, so they have their own cigars, not Cuban cigars.
Deanna