Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Club Amigo Marea del Portillo

Looking to go here at the end of March. Is the VIP worth getting? And what would people recommend the cabanas or superior rooms? Thanks!

The superior rooms are in the Farallon section up on the hill, a newer building with fabulous views, but a bit of a hike down to the beach and back up. Also a lot of stairs in the building. There is a nice big pool up there, too. The Cabanas are in the Marea section, at the foot of the hill, right on the beach. This is the slightly older, smaller section of the hotel…quite compact with a small but adequate pool, and directly on the beach. Both sections are very nice. If you are a ''beach " person, or have any mobility issues, the Marea section would probably be your best choice. If you enjoy the pool, and are fairly fit, then you might enjoy the Farallon. Whichever you choose, you have access to the facilities at both parts of the resort .

I stayed at the Farallon and would recommend it unless you have mobility issues. It’s not a long walk down the hill to the beach. The VIP used to include two excursions to Cayo Blanco. If you are a snorkeller this is a good excursion to take. Overall I enjoyed my experience at this hotel, but it’s been a few years since I was there.