Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Considering the North Coast

My husband and I have been to Punta Cana 3 times and are considering the North Coast.

I found some good rates at the Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada. Anyone have any insight into that hotel?

I like the idea of an actual town to go to, rather then just being confined to the resort.

Would love some imput…

hi
i would not suggest you to go to the Viva Wyndham in Playa Dorada. This is not a very nice hotel. Choose one of the other hotels in Playa Dorada, they are much better, like Gran Ventana, Flamenco or Occidental Playa Dorada hotel.
From Playa Dorada it is about 10 minutes by taxi or bus to the city center of playa dorada.
If you want to walk from the hotel into town, I would suggest you to take a hotel in Sosua like Casa Marina Beach or Reef. These are also all inclusive hotels at the beach, but when you walk out the reception you are on 5 minutes walking distance from the city center of Sosua.

But keep in mind that the sea and the beach is more beautifull at the east side of the island

Thanks for your input…it is a great help since I have not been to the North yet.

I know the Punta Cana beaches can’t be beat, yet we are just looking to experience a different part of the island. I appreciate the help so I can look into some of the other hotels. We do like the better hotels but also like to keep the price down but who doesn’t.

Thanks any other info will be appreciated.

I agree with chicabianca28. I’ve been to both Punta Cana (x 2) and POP at the Casa Marina Beach/Reef. The Reef is very nice, reasonably priced and within walking distance to Sosua. You are right in that it doesn’t have the beaches of PC, but the coastline is beautiful!

Playa Dorada is very nice and the waves there are not too strong. The waves at Casa Marina and Breezes POP can be pretty strong. The sand is coarser and darker that Punta Cana but most of Playa Dorada resorts have nice beaches. :smiley:

Reddoggie - the Gran Ventana is in the same area as the Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada - about 3 hotels apart going via the beach.

We’ve stayed at the Gran Ventana 6 times and just absolutely LOVE the place and the staff! It is a higher rated hotel than the Viva. We have toured the grounds of the Viva and it looks nice but there were things about it that I didn’t like as well as the Gran Ventana so, although our friend was working at the Viva - we continued to go back to the Gran Ventana.

The city of Puerto Plata is not far away via taxi. There is so much to do - the cable car to the top of Mt. Isabel del Torres - there is a Botanical Garden at the top, Amber Museum, San Felipe Castle, just walking around the city center is interesting. You could also take a day trip up to Sosua or Cabarete which are both very interesting towns with lots to see and do.

The Playa Dorada complex has lots to walk to as well… just 2 or 3 minutes stroll from the Gran Ventana, is Roadway and just beyond that, is the Playa Dorada Plaza. There are lots of photos of those areas in our webshots photos - the link is below our signature.

If you have any questions, please ask… there are lots of people who will be more than happy to answer them.

Forgot to mention - they have done a lot of work on the beach and it is very wide in front of the Gran Ventana… also, the snorkeling off the beach is very good as well… lots of fish.

Just out of curiosity. Would you stay in Caberete or Playa Dorado? Are they both lots of shops and beach cafes?

Just gathering info to make a good decision! It’s hard when you haven’t seen the area. Thank goodness for this forum. :o

Well, different strokes for different folks. ;D
The atmosphere in each is pretty different. Playa Dorada is a complex containing about 15 hotels, wrapped around the golf course. Almost all the properties are all-inclusive, but there isn’t any exchange privileges, except between a limited few that are owned by the same people. So, there’s lots of beach clubs (bars/restaurants) along the beach, but you can’t use most of them. Cabarete is a trendy little place. There’s a whole string of restaurants/bars along the main street and the beach. But, it’s pay as you play - be prepared to shell out cash for everything.

[quote author=reddoggie2000 board=Poparea thread=1172166710 post=1172358259]Just out of curiosity. Would you stay in Caberete or Playa Dorado? Are they both lots of shops and beach cafes?

Just gathering info to make a good decision! It’s hard when you haven’t seen the area. Thank goodness for this forum. :o[/quote]

I live here for about two years , and I ’ ve been to many of the hotels on the North coast, and I would suggest you to rent an apartment in town :Sosua - if you prefer quiet stay and quiet ocean , or Cabarete - if you like active vacations. This way it’ll cost you less and you don’t have to be at borring all inclusive.

[quote author=drresident board=Poparea thread=1172166710 post=1172362291]I live here for about two years , and I ’ ve been to many of the hotels on the North coast, and I would suggest you to rent an apartment in town :Sosua - if you prefer quiet stay and quiet ocean , or Cabarete - if you like active vacations. This way it’ll cost you less and you don’t have to be at borring all inclusive. If you would like to rent an apartment I have some contacts( i was renting apartments from them) and can give it
to you.Just mail me at vm108kitedrive@gmail.com[/quote]

Those wouldn’t be the ones for rent on your website, would they? Because that would make your posting SPAM.

Gregg

You have given me a great amount of information. I really am an all-inclusive kind of gal with a day off the resort to break up the routine. I’d probably like Playa Dorado with a day trip to Caberete…I think that answers my quetstions.

Can’t wait to set my plans…

Reddoggie, I think you have made a good decision if you are an A1 type of girl. The Play Dorada complex is an excellent location for a quick trip into Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete (as Dot pointed out earlier). The two level mall is right there, as well as the clinic, banks, bars, pubs, restaurants etc. (edited to add lots of shops), keep 'em for a rainy day. Heck I used to walk there myself if Hubby wasn’t in a shopping mood (which is never).

Although we have only stayed at the Paradise Beach Club in the complex (several times), it’s in need of repair, so take a serious look at Dots suggestion of the Grand Ventana (the stretch of beach between the PBC and GV is probably the best in the area) but I believe they have worked on the whole beach since we were there Christmas of '05.

You would hardly recognize this stretch of beach now, nor the area on front of Paradise Beach. The boardwalk and piers are basically gone.

You would hardly recognize this stretch of beach now, nor the area on front of Paradise Beach. The boardwalk and piers are basically gone.[/quote]

Thanks Bob. Anyone got any recent pics?? I would love to see how it looks now. Our 20th Anniversary is coming up and I really would like to return to the coast that we took our vows in, and we really love the POP area (even if the sand isn’t pure white, it’s still sand).

There’s some in my Jan 2007 Fun Royale photo set.
See http://www.worldisround.com/articles/324672/index.html