Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Converter required for the Barcelo Premium P.C

Hi I am leaving on Saturday to stay at this resort. I am from the Ottawa area, does anyone know if I need a converter for my hair straightener? I have never needed one before, but I was reading some reviews for the Riu Macao and they said north american plugs did’t work…

luvtheheat,

I suggest you read this thorough explanation first and then see if you still have a question:

http://debsdrtravels.proboards47.com/index.cgi?board=faqandsuggestions&action=display&thread=6567

I always take my ‘modified’ extension cord with me. So far I haven’t run into a situation that I couldn’t figure out a way to connect. The last resort I stayed in had both 110 Volt and 220 Volt outlets (2 round pins) and both the TV and coffee maker plugged into the 220 volt ones. Surprise. I’m learning to expect the unexpected in the DR …

Just got back on Sunday from Barcelo Premium and no need for a converter. We even had 3 prong plugs (with the ground). Just an FYI - embrace your curls. The humidity will undo even the best straightening job!

That does it. Next trip I’m taking my tester and I’ll see if the ground pin is actually connected to anything or is just decorative … ::slight_smile:

That does it. Next trip I’m taking my tester and I’ll see if the ground pin is actually connected to anything or is just decorative … ::)[/quote]
FYI: I took the tester on my last trip. As expected, there was NO connection to the ground. The polarity was right but that was it. Personally, if you have an appliance that requires the ground, I’d buy another one that doesn’t and leave that one at home …