Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Converters? help!

I am travelling to Cuba for the first time in a couple weeks. I borrowed an electrical converter from a friend to take with me. When I looked at the instructions for the converter it says that it is for use with heating appliances(hair dryer, iron, curling iron) and Do Not use with electronics. I want to recharge my ipod, dvd player and nintendo game. What do I use?

Check out this link, it should answer your question.

http://debbiesreviews.proboards88.com/index.cgi?board=faq&action=display&thread=5336

Most chargers for electronic gadgets will work with 110 to 250 V. Check the label on the charger, you may not need another converter.

Thanks a bunch. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

I had forgotten how straightforward and comprehensive YVRck’s electrical thread was. Very handy info. Thanks for the reminder.

just got back l;ast night from varadero. Bought an american tourister converter kit at walmarts before I left but it did not work. I did need and use one of the adaptors for my razor but the convertor would not work to charger a DS. I do not not know if it was faulty or not. it in event the front desk had a convertor and they charged the toy up for us a couple of times no problem. just wasn`t that convenient

I used YVRck’s excellent advice last year and have linked to it many times in emails to others.
Top notch work.

I have just purchased the same American Tourister converter that Ross mentioned for my trip in 10 days! If anyone else has any comments about this it would help me decide if I should buy something different. I also need it to charge a Nintendo DS. I am going to Sirenis La Salina if that makes a difference. Thanks!

I think that the Nindeno DS charger is OK with an input of 100 to 220 V so no converter is necessary. Check the specs on the unit to be sure. Don’t use it in a “shaver only” outlet.

Just for info I did try the Nintendo DS direct without the convertor but it definitely would not charge in our room. I am thinking that the american tourister that I bought might be defective but I cannot figure out how to test it.

Hi

I plugged in our DS in the bathroom outlet and it charged perfectly every time. Saying that, we blew up our travel DVD player when I plugged it in where the television was. We are going back with a new dvd player and I would love to know what to do this time.

Dim

[quote=@dim]Hi

I plugged in our DS in the bathroom outlet and it charged perfectly every time. Saying that, we blew up our travel DVD player when I plugged it in where the television was. We are going back with a new dvd player and I would love to know what to do this time.

Dim[/quote]

Sounds like you “fried” the DVD player because it wasn’t dual voltage and you plugged it into a flat pronged 220V plug. It’s usually only the bathroom plug that’s 110V. At many of the new resorts, the bathroom plug is just for shaver use which wasn’t the case since it worked for your DS.

You’ll need to bring along a converter for the new DVD next time. Make sure you buy the correct converter though, based on the wattage of the new DVD player.

A handy little gadget to have is a voltage indicator. It’s small, costs less than $10 and plugs into an outlet and indicates whether voltage is 110 or 220.

Electricity in Cuba is a mysterious thing. :slight_smile:

We also bought the inexpensive converter from Shoppers Drug Mart. My husband was able to plug in the base for his iPod and charge that in the room on one particular outlet without the converter. I used my hair straighter in the bathroom with the converter, and we were able to charge the DS for most of the week on the bathroom outlet. However, that stopped around day 5 and we ended up getting the front desk to charge it for us. In retrospect, we realized that there were three lights switches by the door to our room, and we might have turned something off from there that effected the DS charging in the bathroom.

I’m getting a good laugh out of everyone’s panic to charge the DS - we were the same. Take anything else away, but please don’t take the DS from our 7-year-old! That thing was a life-saver.

Check out this link (not sure how accurate it is). Interesting anyhow. Scroll down the page and it explains alot.

Good site. Thanks for posting it.

It’s all a bit confusing. You might want to look for something like this: (Think we will :-/)

Hi-Lo Combination Converter/Transformer Kit. Contains a dual circuit converter ransformer with five plug-in adapters which fit almost every 2-pin (non grounded) electrical outlet. The converter/transformer has a high switch for appliances between 50 and 1650 watts and a low switch for equipment under 50 watts. Accepts 2-pin, polarized equipment. Low setting can be used for items like battery chargers (perfect for digital camera or camcorder chargers); high setting is for non-electronic items like hair dryers.