Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Costs For Cubans!

There is a certain group of 10 people on the internet advising others that Cubans can live on CUC $ 4.00 a month and receive almost free homes. This is not true. Currently Cuba is 400,000 short and it takes at least $ 100.00 a month to live a decent life.
 A decent house in a good part of town costs :
 Near Varadero - CUC $ 60,000.00
 Pilon - CUC $ 20,000.00
 Other costs - January 2014 :::
 1. Ladies purses CUC $ 25.00 to $ 100.00
 2. Mens nice short sleeved shirt CUC $ 35.00
 3. Youth - Jeans CUC $ 27 - Ologoed nice Cuba ball cap CUC $ 19.95 - Adidas running shoes CUC $ 70.00
Some of my Cuban / Canadian children’s friends will not come to their birthday party as they have no decent party clothes. These poorer children do not have their own birthday parties. If everyone of the 3 million tourists to Cuba brought in 10 children’s " Thrift Shop cloths this problem would be resolved
 My aim is to have all the childre of Cuba enjoy the same quality of life that Michel and Angelica enjoy.
 Any questions ?
 Gordon " CubaKing " Robinson - Port Alberni B.C. Canada

Sounds like a plan, but let me ask you this, I read on forums, people that visit Cuba a lot, not to bring gifts. Now when I say gifts, I mean things like shoes and baseball hats, and not given to the chambermaid, given to people that seem to need it, and not stand around and expect thanks, give and leave.

“… There is a certain group of 10 people on the internet advising others that Cubans can live on CUC $ 4.00 a month…”

Dear Gordon, it has been pointed out to you many, many times that you are misquoting that statement.

No one ever claimed a Cuban can live on 4 CUC/month. The statement was that many Cubans can pay their utility bill with 4 CUC month.

Cheers,
Terry

Thanks Terry… I only have 2nd party information but these #'s seemed a bit off.

I’m not questioning any of Gordon’s claims about how much stuff costs. His prices are insanely expensive compared to where I shop in Cuba for the very same items, but if he’s only shopping at resort stores or high-end retail places then I suppose they make sense.

The constant misquote about the 4 CUC/month is another issue though and that’s what I politely corrected once again, for about the 10th time over the past two years.

Cheers,
Terry

I know that Gordon can sometimes embellish his activities; but I do think he has a right to speak/write his opinion(?). I would also say that CubaKing likes to stir the pot; but I still find him entertaining and once in a while a little seed pops through. He enjoys getting our goat and I get a great laugh out of some of his thoughts. Sometimes not so much laughter out of the replies he gets. However, I would rather have Gordon than some other unmentionables. I like to read his stuff because he is a comedian and a devil. But I don’t think he is as uninformed as he pretends to be. To the new Debbie’s - he has 10 posts; I want to see what other outlandish ideas are floating in his head. Let him ride for a while and let me know what you think.

Hmm strange! ???

I remember seeing the same the same claim as Gordon, can’t remember the thread or forum but it was definitely as he quoted!

I thought the quote was something about a Cuban paying his monthly bills for about 4 CUC. I would have taken that to mean the utilities and such. Now that some of the rules regarding purchasing a house have changed, maybe the cost of a house may be going up.
Buying other things like shoes, clothes, purses and so on don’t fall into the category of monthly bills for most people. Perhaps if the person quoted, whoever that may be, could be available to clarify, we might all understand it. Otherwise, we could all just be speculating, not only about what the exact words were, but also about what was meant.

I think it would be useful to clarify what part of the country someone is referring to when it comes to cost/availability of items. I’ve been told it is possible to buy pretty much anything in Cuba, and that may well be true of Havana, but off the beaten track (or even in the poorer areas where there are some lower starred resorts) I know from experience it can be well nigh impossible to get your hands on certain items.

The other interesting point is that resort maids and other staff are gifted many, many dozens of certain items. I have no trouble believing that, and also that much of the merchandise ends up on the black market. My question would be, so what happens if tomorrow tourists decide to curtail gifting? Is there another source that can be accessed for these items, or would that be tantamount to abandoning the bird feeder mid winter, after you have built up a loyal clientele?

[quote=@cubajack]I thought the quote was something about a Cuban paying his monthly bills for about 4 CUC. I would have taken that to mean the utilities and such.[/quote]Bullseye.

This isn’t complicated.

Cheers,
Terry

[quote=@cheersterry][quote=@cubajack]I thought the quote was something about a Cuban paying his monthly bills for about 4 CUC. I would have taken that to mean the utilities and such.[/quote]Bullseye.

This isn’t complicated.

Cheers,
Terry
[/quote]

Not wanting to get into this too far, but my guess is that an average Cuban uses far less utilities in a month than most North Americans do in a day. My hydro bill is $411. for January. OUCH >:D

[quote=@cheersterry][quote=@cubajack]I thought the quote was something about a Cuban paying his monthly bills for about 4 CUC. I would have taken that to mean the utilities and such.[/quote]Bullseye.

This isn’t complicated.

Cheers,
Terry
[/quote]However that IS NOT what was quoted!

Merely an erroneous interpretation!  (zzz)

[quote=@dax][quote=@cheersterry]
[/quote]Not wanting to get into this too far, but my guess is that an average Cuban uses far less utilities in a month than most North Americans do in a day. My hydro bill is $411. for January. OUCH >:D
[/quote]My maid’s monthly electricity bill runs around $5 US per month after subsidy.

Comparing Canada, especially corrupt Ontario,s bills to those in the real world is apples to oranges! :frowning:

[quote=@dax]Not wanting to get into this too far, but my guess is that an average Cuban uses far less utilities in a month than most North Americans do in a day. My hydro bill is $411. for January. OUCH >:D
[/quote]

Holy Hannah Dax! Was the $411 for one month? Glad I don’t live in Ontario!

Cubans don’t have furnaces (well no Cubans that I know) and most don’t have central air conditioning either, so yes they use far less utilities per month than we do.

Given the average Cuban salary - resort workers having access to CUCs not included- even 4 CUC per month for utilities isn’t exactly “chump change”.

Yup Ontario has, I believe, the highest electricity rates of any state or Province. Out of that $411, only $180 was actual electricity usage. To be fair, it was a pretty cold Jan.

Way of life - costs of living

Many gift-givers use the low Cuban wages as the prime argument for bringing gifts. The average wage for a Cuban is indeed 12-25 dollars monthly, and yes, that does sound ridiculous. So the next thought is “who can live off that?” and the answer that many come up with is “nobody can”, because it’s tempting and obvious to compare that money with the daily lives of the tourist and nobody in Canada or Europe can live off 20 dollars for just a week, let alone a few days. But Cuba is not Canada or Europe. The difference is that the house of the visitor to Cuba is not free, and it is not possible to go to the local market in Canada or England and pick up basic food (libreta) supplies for a week for a few dollars - and water and electricity costs a fortune, not to mention cost of kindergarten and putting a kid through college. A Cuban can pay all his monthly bills with 2-4 dollars.

[quote=@cubakingone]Way of life - costs of living

A Cuban can pay all his monthly bills with 2-4 dollars.[/quote]Thank you, Gordon.

Cheers,
Terry

Only been to Cuba 83 times since March 1993 !!!

Just think Gordon if you had never been to Cuba you would be a millionaire by now.

He would be but he would not see what he saw. Rich is the one who sees the world.