Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cozumel

So of course I could not go all the way to Mexico without going to my most favorite place on earth.

To those of you who are outbound for Cozumel soon.

Ferry prices have increased. And last ferry back to playa is at 10:00, this also has changed because it use to be 11:00. Oh well.

The town square seems to be the same, I didn’t notice the renovation if they did one.

La Choza-Burned down in August. They are at their brand new location down around the corner from their own building. Address is 10 Av. Ambiance is the same, food is so awesome, Ceviche is the bomb, as usual a great hit. their brand new building opened December 26th…so we were lucky enough to see the brand new place, and not the place they rented, until new building was completed. For anyone who is familiar with La Choza, it is a family run restaurant, the night their building burned, they were open in a rented building the next day. The old building still sits, gutted, and was very sad to see. I do not know what they will do with the building.

Corona- Still have my 1.00 corona’s at Ambar Bar, behind the square, 5th av, #141

Shopping-still the best around, nicest people I have ever met, eager to please you. By far just the best, makes any other place look shameful.

Didn’t make it to the East side, much to my disappointment. But there is always next time.

Felt good to be at my home away from home. Look forward to next time!

Questions? ask away.

Deputy

Hey Deputy!
We’re going to PDC in April (21st to 28th) and want to do a day trip to Cozumel…how many hours should we allot? And what are the top 3 things to do in a short period of time? We’re only in PDC for one week (actually 5 1/2 days by the time you account for travel on either end), and we have a few other tours planned (Chitchen Itza, Tulum, etc.)…but I don’t want to miss Cozumel, even if it means just a quick visit. Any suggestions, tips, ideas,etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Leanne

Chitchen Itza is a full day trip unto itself. Just an FYI, and Tulum from Playa is over an hour. I wasn’t impressed with tulum myself.

Get out of Playa on the first ferry over, then play it by ear, just remember last ferry out of Cozumel is 10:00 PM. If you want to do shopping for souvenirs, save your $$ for Cozumel, because it is much cheaper than buying in Playa.

Must things to see. The east side, is the most beautiful place (IMHO) on earth. There is chen rip beach which is the only area over there that it is safe to swim, they have a terrific beach. Next stop would be Coconuts…beauty all around. Keep in mind there is NO ELECTRICITY on the East side, every light, every cord, is powered by wind.

If you want a cheap, authentic, melt in your mouth Mexican food, I would go to La Choza.

If you want to snorkel, hit Dzul-Ha Beach Club, just ask a taxi to take you there, I believe it is now known as the Money Bar, but EVERY taxi knows it as Dzul-Ha.

If your in for something fun, try the Tequila factory.

There is also Chankaanab eco park, which is fun for swimming and snorkel, lots of underwater life.

Punta Sur lighthouse as well in the South end heading to the East side.

There is tons to do, and sometimes its just nice to walk about the streets, completely safe!!

Deputy

Deputy…How much is the Ferry each way?

Thanks Deputy! I’m really looking forward to getting over there. What time is the first ferry? And how much does it cost?

Ferry Schedule-

Playa del Carmen to Cozumel Ferry - daily

6:00am, 8:00am, 9:00am, 10:00am, 11:00am,
1:00pm, 3:00pm, 5:00pm, 6:00pm, 7:00pm, 9:00pm, 11:00pm

Cozumel to Playa del Carmen Ferry - daily

5:00am, 7:00am, 8:00am, 9:00am, 10:00am, 12:00am
2:00pm, 5:00pm, 6:00pm, 8:00pm, 10:00pm

One way fare- 11.00$ or 110 pesos

Roundtrip- 16.00$ 160 Pesos

Obviously your going to want to do round trip :slight_smile:

Oh yah, for anyone that has traveled by ferry, the ferry dock is being renovated, it looks very nice so far, but lots of construction.

Keep in mind that if sea’s are rough, that the ferry’s won’t go out. Could be a minor inconvience for some, but I wouldnt mind being stuck on Cozumel ;D ;D ;D

I know there is something else, but I can’t recall at the moment, my brain is a little vacationed.

deputy