Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Credit card fraud -- VERY worried

I saw a recent trip report on Tripadvisor where someone said that someone from the hotel (Catalonia) ended up making unauthorized charges to his credit card account a couple months after his trip. This is very concerning. We’re going to the Catalonia in a week and I really don’t want to give them my credit card, especially if everything is already paid for up-front and we have no plans to purchase anything or have expenses added to our bill. They should have no need for our credit card. Is it required that you give them your credit card at an all-inclusive where the bill is already paid for?

I’ve not had to give my credit card at any AI resort I’ve stayed at.

I have stayed at many all inclusive resorts on a ‘land only’ basis and have always used a credit card and have never had a problem. I may just be fortunate but I have used credit cards and debit cards all over the D.R. and I have never had a problem.

I was at the Catalonia Oct 25 - Nov. 2 and they did not ask for a credit card inprint.

I think what you read was the ATM scam where the machine was supposed to be out of order and the tourist tried it anyway, and their pin# was scammed by a device placed in the ATM. These free standing ATM’s are not owned by the resort and should not be used.

[quote=@hlywud]I was at the Catalonia Oct 25 - Nov. 2 and they did not ask for a credit card inprint.

I think what you read was the ATM scam where the machine was supposed to be out of order and the tourist tried it anyway, and their pin# was scammed by a device placed in the ATM. These free standing ATM’s are not owned by the resort and should not be used.[/quote]

Actually, this had nothing to do with the ATM. I copied the review below…this was why I was concerned:

I have previously written a review on the Catalonia that I felt was fair in my opinion, but I have to come back to the subject six months later because I have found out that the Catalonia Bavaro needs to learn how to manage money.
I have had my PNC debit check card number stolen and it was used in Santo Domingo Jan. 2nd, 2009, almost have a year since my trip. I only used my card to pay the hotel for an exit fee. They made a carbon copy of the card and my signature, so I am blaming the Catalonia for giving out my card information, since I know that the banks are secure and safe to do business with.
I am a hospitality and tourism management major at Virginia Tech and I know that any business taking credit/debit cards shouldn’t be so cheap that they still are making carbon copies of cards. A large amount of money was taken from my account and given to an organization in Santo Domingo (which I did not visit while in the Dominican Republic).
So, the moral of the story is DO NOT use a card, especially a credit card in the Dominican Republic. Thank goodness PNC called me before more money was spent.

I have been to resorts in DR where I have had to give my CC, but we haven’t had any problems so far.

simply tell them no they can’t have it,you didn’t bring it, or you don’t have one. I see no reason why they would need it.

I have posted this info before: But it may still be new advice for some. I get a basic credit card from my bank with the least amount of credit that I can get…usually $500.00 limit and use this card if I have to use one at all. Then I know that I can never lose a large amount of money if my card was ever compromised. I don’t think I would ever let anyone imprint my card on one of those old carbon form machines.

Alf I did the same thing when I started traveling, $500 is enough if you run into an emergency and not enough for anyone to sink you. The only time I have used my credit card in the DR was to book excursions and that was done through the rep. I also have my “traveling bank account” where I stash my spending money all year. This account has it’s own card and PIN and I usually withdraw half of it when I leave home and access more if needed. If the account was compromised they wouldn’t get my life savings.